C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trans Cooler lines LT1 - Which is in/out?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM
89'Bowtie
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Trans Cooler lines LT1 - Which is in/out?

Looking to install a tans cooler on the LT1 and not bypassing the rad cooler.

There are the top and bottom trans line at the rad; which is the in and which is the out to the trans. Looking to make sure the aux cooler is after rad.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:30 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

On the tranny, the upper line is the return line from the cooler to the transmission. The lower line leaves the transmission. You can figure it out from there.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
You can figure it out from there.
I've always thought it on a 700R4 to be lower to lower and upper to upper. It certainly gets debated from time to time. Lower at the trans is "for sure" the outlet on a 700R4 so to confirm for yourself just trace it. I understand the inlet at the lower is to avoid "air pockets" The cooler you add you want to make sure the ports are either mounted ports "up" or "side to side" BUT NOT both "down".

You'll be back to let us know I guess what you found?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I've always thought it on a 700R4 to be lower to lower and upper to upper. It certainly gets debated from time to time. Lower at the trans is "for sure" the outlet on a 700R4 so to confirm for yourself just trace it. I understand the inlet at the lower is to avoid "air pockets" The cooler you add you want to make sure the ports are either mounted ports "up" or "side to side" BUT NOT both "down".

I'd go lower to lower so the fluid gets pushed up the cooler to the outlet and as you said eliminates air.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Disconnect Bottom Radiator Trans cooler line and connect it to the Aux cooler input, then connect the Aux cooler output hose back to the bottom trans cooler return line which goes back to the transmission.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:11 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GKK
Disconnect Bottom Radiator Trans cooler line and connect it to the Aux cooler input, then connect the Aux cooler output hose back to the bottom trans cooler return line which goes back to the transmission.
The OP isn't interested in eliminating the "Water cooler" - the "air" cooler would go in the return circuit from the ratiator "top" outlet to the "air" cooler and then to trans. The mounting of the "air" cooler with either the ports ponted up or on either side I mentioned earlier.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 AM
GKK
Safety Car

The OP isn't interested in eliminating the "Water cooler" - the "air" cooler would go in the return circuit from the ratiator "top" outlet to the "air" cooler and then to trans. The mounting of the "air" cooler with either the ports ponted up or on either side I mentioned earlier.
The procedure I wrote "Includes" the Radiator Trans Cooler.

The Trans fluid travels from the transmission to the Top radiator line then goes through the radiator to be cooled and exits at the Bottom. Then the trans fluid travels to the Aux Trans Cooler and then returns back to the Bottom hard line to the transmission.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GKK
The procedure I wrote "Includes" the Radiator Trans Cooler.

The Trans fluid travels from the transmission to the Top radiator line then goes through the radiator to be cooled and exits at the Bottom. Then the trans fluid travels to the Aux Trans Cooler and then returns back to the Bottom hard line to the transmission.
Your original post was a difficult read for me assuming that my thoughts are correct for the cooler lines. Reading this post it seems you feel the upper is the radiator inlet and the lower the outlet and the read becomes easier.

I guess my comment:

It certainly gets debated from time to time. Lower at the trans is "for sure" the outlet on a 700R4 so to confirm for yourself just trace it. I understand the inlet at the lower is to avoid "air pockets" The cooler you add you want to make sure the ports are either mounted ports "up" or "side to side" BUT NOT both "down".

seems to be more relevant now. I found an old SPO image that seems to substantiate your thoughts but it's a poor image at best. The FSM seems to confirm your thoughts also in an image of the pipes but when you look at the "fluid flow" charts the terminology is "cooler" and "lube" without directional arrows, I would have thought "cooler" meant to cooler and "lube" meant ready to perform. Lube is noted as upper and cooler is noted as lower in the flow charts. Check the FSM!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-07-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Check the FSM!!
I don't need too!...I've already installed an Auxillary Trans Cooler inline with the Radiator Trans cooler just as the OP is wanting to.

Just to Clarify:

Looking at the passenger side of the radiator, the hard line connected at the Top is the Transmission fluid Inlet.

The Bottom hard line is the Transmission fluid Outlet and this is the line that is spliced and connected to the Aux trans cooler.

Last edited by GKK; 05-07-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GKK
I don't need too!...I've already installed an Auxillary Trans Cooler inline with the Radiator Trans cooler just as the OP is wanting to.

Just to Clarify:

Looking at the passenger side of the radiator, the hard line connected at the Top is the Transmission fluid Inlet.

The Bottom hard line is the Transmission fluid Outlet and this is the line that is spliced and connected to the Aux trans cooler.
I wasn't "implying" that you check! It was a general comment for all - see the FSM!

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Cooler lines LT1 - Which is in/out?

Quick Reply: Trans Cooler lines LT1 - Which is in/out?