C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Great trread on my tires but they barely passed state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Great trread on my tires but they barely passed state inspection

My tires have great tread, but the guy doing the state inspection said all four are dry rotted. I bought the Sumitomos on the back in 2005 and the Kumhos on the front in 2007. I drive this six-speed manual coupe 3,500 miles a year. The inspector said I don't drive it enough. It's not a daily driver--maybe two to three times a week, usually 10 to 20 miles one way.

I had another mechanic look at the tires and he said they are fine. He has done inspections for shops. I'll replace them before the next inspection.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Its hard to argue with a state inspector when the tires are 6 years old.
Four years are considered max reliable life.
You'll not pass tech at most race tracks with those, either.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:23 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Your location isn't particularly "tire friendly" either for 6+ year old tires and if the date codes were checked they could possibly be older!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

yep..

The DOT rules now make it easy for an inspector to see exactly how old tires are and when they need to be discarded. the 4 yr rule will become the law of the land soon, brought on for safety. Its good for the tire industry as well...bad for some of us though.

You CAN extend the life of your tires by maintaining them. IF you have a station that has nitrogen...try that. Not because it makes the car lighter...its a dry gas like Co2, that will delay the rot from within by keeping moisture away from the rubber inside. Hose 'em down with armour-all gel, like sun-screen and they will make it to the limit. The goal is to keep them so nice the inspectors do not think they need to check the date codes...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Photomania
My tires have great tread, but the guy doing the state inspection said all four are dry rotted. I bought the Sumitomos on the back in 2005 and the Kumhos on the front in 2007. I drive this six-speed manual coupe 3,500 miles a year. The inspector said I don't drive it enough. It's not a daily driver--maybe two to three times a week, usually 10 to 20 miles one way.

I had another mechanic look at the tires and he said they are fine. He has done inspections for shops. I'll replace them before the next inspection.
Good idea to post the year of your vette or put it in your profile.

I can recommend Nexen N3000 silica tread tires, they are cheap but they grip better than tires 3x the price. I have 275 40 17 all round on 9.5 inch wide rims, they have to be the best tires i had on my vette grip wise wet or dry. I have had Kumho tires years ago i hated them the tires had so little grip and would spin too easily, these Nexen tires are way better heaps more grip wet and dry.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by leesvet
yep..

The DOT rules now make it easy for an inspector to see exactly how old tires are and when they need to be discarded. the 4 yr rule will become the law of the land soon, brought on for safety. Its good for the tire industry as well...bad for some of us though.

You CAN extend the life of your tires by maintaining them. IF you have a station that has nitrogen...try that. Not because it makes the car lighter...its a dry gas like Co2, that will delay the rot from within by keeping moisture away from the rubber inside. Hose 'em down with armour-all gel, like sun-screen and they will make it to the limit. The goal is to keep them so nice the inspectors do not think they need to check the date codes...
Thanks, guys, for the helpful tips and the recommended brands. Mine is a 1990 Corvette and I live in Virginia but used to live in Florida (a long time ago). The tires are rated as summer tires. Does that reduce the life any?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Age period will rot them
Had some M/T that were between 3-4 yrs old and just beginning to show signs of rot. 200 mi on them stored in garage the entire time. Maybe tire dressings didnt help maybe didnt matter. All I can say is they were starting to show very fine lines in the wall by the bead of the rim and we have good weather here. Time for new ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Great trread on my tires but they barely passed state inspection

Quick Reply: Great trread on my tires but they barely passed state inspection