C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 04:42 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's?

Wondered if anyone has removed the oil filter pressure relief valve and installed a plug? Located in the oil filter adapter assembly.

I think that is correct terminology:)

I've done this on non LT1 style engines with good success.

This causes the oil to be filtered 100% of the time rather than the stock system (less then 50% of the time I've heard or less).

Negatives are the oil pressure at the filter can be very high when cold (I would be using 5W-30 synthetic).

Any experiences?

:)
Old 06-23-2002, 04:51 AM
Ezgoin721
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's? (No Go)

Don't know about LT-1 or LT-4, but I ran the first 5000 miles on my new L-98 Stroker motor with a plug installed. I had some flakes in the oil during break-in and wanted to make sure it all got filtered. I ran 15/50, and never had a problem. It's a little risky though since you will starve the engine for oil if you let the filter get plugged!

I've heard as little as 20% of the oil actually gets filtered with the bypass in place.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:54 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's? (Ezgoin721)

Actually, that would be more correct...oil filter bypass-I couldn't remember it!

I've also heard less then the number I quoted, but I've never seen it written...

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2002, 06:33 AM
MJ
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's? (No Go)

My 396 and a previous 350 blower motor were both built this way. I had no problems with oil pressure spikes when cold. But, I'm in Hawaii so cold is 75 degrees in the morning.
:D
Aloha,
Mike Renfro
Honolulu, Hawaii
Old 06-23-2002, 08:37 AM
merrick
Pro

I don't have any experience with plugging the bypass, but I bet that your partial filtering theory is false. The bypass should only open when the differential pressure across the filter is high. Some filters have a bypass built into them too. I'm sure you change your filter before it ever starts to bypass. I would say leave it as is. I would rather have dirty oil instead of no oil.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:33 AM
BBA
Safety Car

Default Re: Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's? (merrick)

I partially agree with merrick, except that I believe you need to beef up the spring in the adaptor. I've done that before with no problems.

If you runb with it plugged, make sure you use the largest filter you can get..like the AC PF35 is the largets for the L98, not sure about LT1/4.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:12 AM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's? (merrick)

Well, it isn't my theory, just what I have read with experience with pre fuel injected small blocks.:)

They say that the bypass is set at a fairly low number and once engine oil pressure exceeds this (such as WOT/high rpm) the oil is then rerouted around the filter. It seems common practice in books pertaining to hot rodding the earlier engines.

Again my carbed 406 did fine with it installed, just wondered if anyone does it on LT1's, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-26-2002, 01:51 AM
vanduker
Drifting

I'm also no expert on the LT-1/4 but on the V6 Buicks if you did not block the bypass on the adapter and made more than 20 psi of oil pressure, some oil bypassed. We have run a lot of these cars with the bypass blocked.

If things get out of hand, the filter also has the ability to bypass...

Mark
Old 06-26-2002, 06:50 PM
James94LT1
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's? (vanduker)

I have heard this also! Maybe one of the tuners would know on the LT's?!?!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's?

Quick Reply: Anyone Plug the Oil Filter Pressure Relief Valve on LT1/LT4's?