C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Saturday Fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:16 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Default Saturday Fun

..... Had some family matters in Ohio that required my participation ... but I'm back to working on the vette ... engine and trans are back in their saddles ... got the rev kit installed along with the rest of the valvetrain ... hoping to make it smoke later today .....

Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

good stuff !!
have you ever run a stud girdle with that set up ?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... Had some family matters in Ohio that required my participation ... but I'm back to working on the vette ... engine and trans are back in their saddles ... got the rev kit installed along with the rest of the valvetrain ... hoping to make it smoke later today .....

SWEET! I thought I saw it all, but obviously not; springs on the pushrods? WOW.... I would assume this is some form of valve train stability factor
Old 06-02-2013, 09:37 AM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

It's the AFR hydra rev kit, pretty sweet.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=75
Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tombrammer
Thanks; just checked out the website from your link........NICE stuff....AFR of course......not surprising there......

Learn something new every day......especially here!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:34 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tombrammer
... This one is actually cobbled together from a variety of places ... the gold spring plates are from Crane ... the aluminum buttons are Crower ... and the springs are Isky ............ It does the same job as the AFR stuff ... altho theirs is intended for hydraulic roller lifters and mine is on a street solid roller cam which has a cast iron core ... the cast core limits spring pressures to the same rates as a hyd roller cam ... approx 150# on the seat and 450# over the nose ... with the rev kit I'm running 185# seat and 480# over the nose with solid roller lifters ... ................
Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Default Sunday ... more fun

..... Getting closer ... thought I'd have it running by now ... BUT , I've got a few more hours of work to do .........

Last edited by C409; 02-20-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 PM
htrdbmr
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice. The head bolts appear to be OEM, are they, and if they are, why did you go that route?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:41 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by htrdbmr
Very nice. The head bolts appear to be OEM, are they, and if they are, why did you go that route?
... The head bolts are Fel Pro , OEM style , with ARP washers under them ... I used ARP bolts on the previous 400 with Cometic .030" MLS gaskets and wound up with cracks between the upper steam holes and the head bolt holes ... I decided to try "softer" grade 8 bolts and composite Fel Pro 1014 Permatorque head gaskets on this build in order to avoid ruining this block ... my thought process was to use bolts with increased elasticity and return to the much less expensive and far more forgiving composite head gaskets that had served me very well in the past ........... Good eye for detail BTW .....
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Looking good. I really need to have one of those intakes made up for my truck one day. Love the look! Wish I had time to stop by tonight.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by blackozvet
good stuff !!
have you ever run a stud girdle with that set up ?
..... Not Yet ... this is an ongoing experiment that has just evolved to the rev kit phase ... I'm using light , small diameter valve springs that have been setup to stay within the pressure recommendations for a cast iron core camshaft ... no crazy spring pressures or rpm's ... my previous engine had a stock bottom end and I didn't want to find its true limit so I kept it under 7 grand ... once I work out the bugs on this edition I hope to get it on a chassis dynomomerator and see whats what ... this combo should produce power to 6500 at least ......
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

..... Not Yet ... this is an ongoing experiment that has just evolved to the rev kit phase ... I'm using light , small diameter valve springs that have been setup to stay within the pressure recommendations for a cast iron core camshaft ... no crazy spring pressures or rpm's ... my previous engine had a stock bottom end and I didn't want to find its true limit so I kept it under 7 grand ... once I work out the bugs on this edition I hope to get it on a chassis dynomomerator and see whats what ... this combo should produce power to 6500 at least ......
I had a rev kit on my old speedway engine, with a Schneider solid roller it would spin to 7200 and nothing ever went wrong with that engine !
Now that intake has me intrigued, is that a tpi plenum attached to a single plane intake ? what manifold is that ?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

I had a rev kit on my old speedway engine, with a Schneider solid roller it would spin to 7200 and nothing ever went wrong with that engine !
Now that intake has me intrigued, is that a tpi plenum attached to a single plane intake ? what manifold is that ?
... The base manifold is an Accel Pro-Ram , very similar to Edelbrock's Victor Jr but with a lower thermostat housing mounting pad ... gives more room for the throttle body and IAC ... welded a billet carb spacer to the bottom of a TPI plenum and welded the runner ports closed ... fits under the stock hood ... and all the factory brackets , hoses , and sensors can still be used in their stock locations ... seriously cuts down on the fabrication end .........
Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

... The base manifold is an Accel Pro-Ram , very similar to Edelbrock's Victor Jr but with a lower thermostat housing mounting pad ... gives more room for the throttle body and IAC ... welded a billet carb spacer to the bottom of a TPI plenum and welded the runner ports closed ... fits under the stock hood ... and all the factory brackets , hoses , and sensors can still be used in their stock locations ... seriously cuts down on the fabrication end .........
that sounds like the easiest and cheapest way to make an L98 rev !
I had a look at summit, the Edelbrock E manifold is cheaper than the Accel, but the Accel seems to have fitting threads already in,
do you run the fuel pressure reg on the back ?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

that sounds like the easiest and cheapest way to make an L98 rev !
I had a look at summit, the Edelbrock E manifold is cheaper than the Accel, but the Accel seems to have fitting threads already in,
do you run the fuel pressure reg on the back ?
..... The Edelbrock won't work with the OEM style throttle body without significant mods to the thermostat housing manifold ... its just too high ........ I use an Aeromotive remote FPR ... mounts to the top of the water pump ......... I did use a modified Edelbrock Torker II to see if it would bring back some low-end power ... it didn't change much ET or 60' wise ........

Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=C409;1584069414]..... The Edelbrock won't work with the OEM style throttle body without significant mods to the thermostat housing manifold ... its just too high ........ I use an Aeromotive remote FPR ... mounts to the top of the water pump ......... I did use a modified Edelbrock Torker II to see if it would bring back some low-end power ... it didn't change much ET or 60' wise ......../QUOTE]

that was my next question, does the single rail kill the low end torque ?

Get notified of new replies

To Saturday Fun

Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=blackozvet;1584077729]
..... The Edelbrock won't work with the OEM style throttle body without significant mods to the thermostat housing manifold ... its just too high ........ I use an Aeromotive remote FPR ... mounts to the top of the water pump ......... I did use a modified Edelbrock Torker II to see if it would bring back some low-end power ... it didn't change much ET or 60' wise ......../QUOTE]

that was my next question, does the single rail kill the low end torque ?
... Oh definitely ... but it picks up large power in the upper RPM ranges , enough to offset the bottom end losses ... a high stall converter and numerically high rear axle ratios help to get things moving off the line ... this new setup of mine includes a Yank 4000 rpm stall and 3.91 gears ... when I switched from the FIRST intake to the Accel single plane , I lost a tenth off the 60 foot times but gained three tenths in 1/8th mile ET ... that was with a 2800 Vigilante and 3.45's ........
Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

........ Made some smoke today ... finally ! ........ still waiting for the trans filter extension I ordered from B&M last week so I can utilize the extra fluid capacity provided by the 3 1/2 inch deep pan ... AND , so I can fill the trans with oil and drive this car ... started it without the converter bolted up ......... then , its on to the welder to get a six point roll cage installed ........... I should be racing by the end of July ............ DANG ! ........
Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=C409;1584078246]

... Oh definitely ... but it picks up large power in the upper RPM ranges , enough to offset the bottom end losses ... a high stall converter and numerically high rear axle ratios help to get things moving off the line ... this new setup of mine includes a Yank 4000 rpm stall and 3.91 gears ... when I switched from the FIRST intake to the Accel single plane , I lost a tenth off the 60 foot times but gained three tenths in 1/8th mile ET ... that was with a 2800 Vigilante and 3.45's ........
thats pretty impressive, 3 tenths in the 1/8 over a FIRST, was that a FIRST long tube setup ?
are you going drag racing ?
your ahead of me, still hoping to fire mine up tomorrow, the pressure is on, I have entered for the next hillclimb on 23rd June and i still need to run it in !

Quick Reply: Saturday Fun