C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Concequences of stuck open injector '96 LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default UPDATE; Concequences of stuck open injector '96 LT1?

UPDATE IN NEW POST.

In the course of installing a REMANUFACTURED Long Block, in one of my 1996 Impala SS's, I installed a set of "Cleaned, Flow Tested Fuel injectors", purchased from a repuable vendor). The engine started OK, but sounded like it had a weak or inop cylinder.

In a minute or two, it started missfireing badly and shut down. On the second and third try, while I read "DataStream" on my OBD II scanner, it missfired for about a minute or two and died.

With the engine off, I connected a Fuel Pressure Gauge, to the schreader valve, on the fuel rail. The gauge read 40 PSI when the Fuel pump ran, but immediatly dropped to 0, when the pump turned off.

I raised the fuel rail up, exposing the Fuel Injector tips, and saw #8 injector was spraying out a continues mist/spray of fuel, until the pressure went to 0.

I replaced the #8 injector and it ran better, but still missfired. I redid the Fuel PSI test and the fuel pressure now drops from 40 PSI to approx. 20 PSI, in about 10-15 minutes. I know other injectors must be leaking.

MY QUESTION, what impac might these leaking injectors have had, on my cylinder walls/rings, while I ran it, on initial break in?

I will be ordering NEW "Delphi" Fuel Injectors and performing a compression test.

Last edited by Mikeceli; 06-07-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

It would not have done any good for them that is for sure.

If it only ran for a minute or two, I think you'll be ok. Drain the oil and start fresh again.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed the 8 NEW "Delphi" fuel injectors.

I drained the oil, saving a sample and checked it for metallic contamination. It was clear. I also tested the oil for excessive Gasoline contamination by attempting to "Light" a half teaspoon sample, with a match. It did not light.

A compression test of the cylinder with the gushing fuel injector and a different cylinder, were both 180 PSI.

I cleaned the spark plugs and installed them.

It started and ran as it should. Took longer to go int "Closed Loop", possibly due to carbon on the 4 New Delphi O2 sensors, I had installed w/ the engine.

Time will tell when I drive and put MILES ON IT! THANKS.

Lesson Learned : NO MORE "Cleaned And Flow Tested" Fuel Injectors, for me!
Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM
tahoemedic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will take longer for the new motor to go into closed loop as the computer can take up to 60 miles to "re-learn" it's programming with the new feedback from the fresh motor. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The main thing that keeps the computer from going closed loop are the O2 sensors. It sounds like yours were carbon fouled. They should be OK as the junk burns off and they get back to performing normally.

Get notified of new replies

To Concequences of stuck open injector '96 LT1?

Quick Reply: Concequences of stuck open injector '96 LT1?