C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 corvette exhaust manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 AM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1986 corvette exhaust manifold.

Im having to modify my stock driver passenger header because years ago I bought angled plug heads instead of straight plug heads (Machine shop screwed up). I just bought full length headers to accommodate the angled heads (Dart pro 200cc heads and TPIS headers). I have to put back on the stock exhaust for smog in California. My smog guy retired so I need to go back to stock to pass the visual. My question is can I remove the offset that the bolt goes through? Its that small cylinder piece welded on the flange. There are six of them on each exhaust header. I want to remove the one near the EGR Tube on the exhaust header so I can drill a bigger bolt hole so it lines up better with hole in the head. Im terrified of stripping the soft aluminum. They all hand tighten except that one. The stock exhaust will be on for only a day while the car gets smogged
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by PMARTINEZ92126
Im having to modify my stock driver passenger header because years ago I bought angled plug heads instead of straight plug heads (Machine shop screwed up). I just bought full length headers to accommodate the angled heads (Dart pro 200cc heads and TPIS headers). I have to put back on the stock exhaust for smog in California. My smog guy retired so I need to go back to stock to pass the visual. My question is can I remove the offset that the bolt goes through? Its that small cylinder piece welded on the flange. There are six of them on each exhaust header. I want to remove the one near the EGR Tube on the exhaust header so I can drill a bigger bolt hole so it lines up better with hole in the head. Im terrified of stripping the soft aluminum. They all hand tighten except that one. The stock exhaust will be on for only a day while the car gets smogged
Would you think an exhaust manifold spreader could accomplish the task. Is it easily accessible?

Most any quality auto parts store will have them.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-13-2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I just ordered two from NAPA this morning
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

You only need one. these are an installation tool. You spread the tubes, install the bolts till they snug up, and then remove the tool to use it to install another set of bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 corvette exhaust manifold.

Quick Reply: 1986 corvette exhaust manifold.