C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Petris Opti Spark?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM
lilspit1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Petris Opti Spark?

My 94 needs a new Opti Spark.
Has anyone tried a Petris Opti Spark?j
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Link doesnt work?

If its that 120 jobbie off ebay pass on it.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Wasn't that the Mitsubishi opti?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM
bassackwards
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seabright
Link works for me......anyone else have a problem opening the link?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=36204403
Nope doesn't work.

I have some interesting pics of the 2 they sent me
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't cheap out on the opti-
-It'll nail you in the a$$ ever time
Old 06-14-2013, 03:07 PM
pearlmom
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I have one, almost a year old and 10,000 miles later still working great
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Petris is the way to go.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
St. Jude Donor '15,'19

I haven't tried a Petris so I can only speak for Ac Delco and I havent had a single problem with them. I have read alot of bad reviews on this forum about the other units.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM
lilspit1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks folks.
It's about $400 directly from Petris.
In the past 6 years I have had ac deco, MSD, then AC Delco. Thought I might try something new.

Last edited by lilspit1; 06-15-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I did extensive research before I bought the Petris Opti..I called and talked to him as well as look up everything I could about the optis that are out there..I went with his as it looked to be the best and he is one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet about these cars...it also comes with a real GM vent kit. I've had it for almost 2 years with no problem.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

3 optis in 6 yrs. What a convuted idea the whole system was my god.
Pretty embarrassing for GM. How simple was the HEI and it worked.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:09 AM
bassackwards
Pro

Search this website for pics of the 2 he sent me. I sent them both back. He should be ashamed of himself for sending me junk that had been hogged out with a grinder to make the parts fit.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 AM
dolbnyc
Instructor

From 92-94 is unvented so the Petris may be a good alternative to a Delco, but nothing else. PM sent
Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Abbattior199091
Cruising

Default Delteq Opti might be easier

I am using the Delteq opti spark replacement which is based on the Northstar ignition components and I have had no problems since it was installed.It can be installed in about 3 hours with basic tools and all the parts are available through most any parts store in the event of damage or failure.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 PM
93LT1
Pro

I brought the Delphi opti for my 93 and replaced the cap with a vented 96 Delco cap. I also opened up this Delphi unit and discovered all the parts to be new. Including a brand new Mistubishi optical sensor. (not painted, etc) In my opinion it's OEM.

I essentially converted this Opti to a sealed vented unit with the hopes this will alleviate the issues I've seen in the past. For me, the problem has always been liquid contamination (Water, oil, antifreeze) which resulted in shorting the IC's or/and contaminating the contact points.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Put in a Chandlers over a year ago. I run hard and so far so good.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
Put in a Chandlers over a year ago.
I run hard and so far so good.
That is good information:http://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sa...ws-praise.html

Get notified of new replies

To Petris Opti Spark?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT BUY THE MSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS A TOTAL PILE OF CRAP!

I went thru 2 in the first 400 miles of a new engine. 1st one was arching all over the place the second we fired up the new motor. had to rip everything apart (Including a blower, intercooler etc) and then I had to BUY ANOTHER ONE and then when they got the old one back they credited my card. That pissed me off enough. Then 380 miles on the new motor with the replacement MSD OPTIJUNK installed, cruising in Chicago rushour traffic at 4:45 doing 40 MPH and the car just dies (of course I am in the left lane with no shoulder) Friggin nightmare. Car would NOT run. 48 mile tow to get it home, rip it down AGAIN and this one is literally cracked! I went back to the OEM that was on the car. It was a 30K mile car so I decided to run it.
This car is on the Hot Rod Power Tour every year and so it needs to be reliable (haha I know...reliable & OPTI just don't go together) so anyhow, this year we hit some SERIOUS downpours on the way down to where the tour started in Arlington Texas. We literally JUST missed the tornadoes that just blew thru Oklahoma 2 weeks ago by about 4 hours! And we did see the rain!!! The ONLY hicup I had in 3000 miles from Chicago to Arlington Texas and then 7 more cities in the following 7 days ending in Charlotte NC was when I would hit HARD HARD rain the opti was getting moisture somehow. The car would buck and miss. It made it through the downpours but I could not step into it at all. It would dry out quick (within a few hours) but it was still a PITA.
I think this next winter I am going to completely dump the Opti and convert to coils. I don't care who's opti it is...it's F***ED up deal...I'm done with it...

Last edited by Scootin_Z; 06-17-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin_Z
WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT BUY THE MSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS A TOTAL PILE OF CRAP!

I went thru 2 in the first 400 miles of a new engine. 1st one was arching all over the place the second we fired up the new motor. had to rip everything apart (Including a blower, intercooler etc) and then I had to BUY ANOTHER ONE and then when they got the old one back they credited my card. That pissed me off enough. Then 380 miles on the new motor with the replacement MSD OPTIJUNK installed, cruising in Chicago rushour traffic at 4:45 doing 40 MPH and the car just dies (of course I am in the left lane with no shoulder) Friggin nightmare. Car would NOT run. 48 mile tow to get it home, rip it down AGAIN and this one is literally cracked! I went back to the OEM that was on the car. It was a 30K mile car so I decided to run it.
This car is on the Hot Rod Power Tour every year and so it needs to be reliable (haha I know...reliable & OPTI just don't go together) so anyhow, this year we hit some SERIOUS downpours on the way down to where the tour started in Arlington Texas. We literally JUST missed the tornadoes that just blew thru Oklahoma 2 weeks ago by about 4 hours! And we did see the rain!!! The ONLY hicup I had in 3000 miles from Chicago to Arlington Texas and then 7 more cities in the following 7 days ending in Charlotte NC was when I would hit HARD HARD rain the opti was getting moisture somehow. The car would buck and miss. It made it through the downpours but I could not step into it at all. It would dry out quick (within a few hours) but it was still a PITA.
I think this next winter I am going to completely dump the Opti and convert to coils. I don't care who's opti it is...it's F***ED up deal...I'm done with it...
You wont have problem with an AC Delco (new old stock, not a remanufactured) or Delphi optispark.

If you have a 92 thru 94, you must add a vent.

if you go coilpacks, you wont be able to run an MSD-6 type spark enhancer (Of course MSD stinks so you prob dont want to run anything else with MSD name on it, so I understnd).

My issue with the optispark elimination is that it doesnt eliminate the optispark.

You pay big money and still have to use the optispark's optical sensor - which is the most failure prone part of it.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
You wont have problem with an AC Delco (new old stock, not a remanufactured) or Delphi optispark.

If you have a 92 thru 94, you must add a vent.

if you go coilpacks, you wont be able to run an MSD-6 type spark enhancer (Of course MSD stinks so you prob dont want to run anything else with MSD name on it, so I understnd).

My issue with the optispark elimination is that it doesnt eliminate the optispark.

You pay big money and still have to use the optispark's optical sensor - which is the most failure prone part of it.
I hear ya, but just like I thought I would not have a problem with my brand new AC Delco water pump on my motor build. 3 tear-downs later and still scratching our heads as to why the motor was blowing one of the front seals but ONLY after you romped on it the first time. We would put it back together and it could idle or drive normal for eternity, but the minute you brought the R's up to any significant number drip...drip...drip...and then it would leak like a sive no matter what.
Brand new water pump had runout on the shaft. Just like all the other junk out there that is made in China it is getting harder and harder to find QUALITY made parts for ANYTHING! Don't even get me started on my POS fridge that has logic boards built by 12 year olds...that same board has failed me 3 times in 7 years, losing ALL the food in it every time because of course it's always when were not home...

Quick Reply: Petris Opti Spark?