C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

key doesn't engage starter, schematic needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 PM
choopes
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default key doesn't engage starter, schematic needed

My 93 coupe won't engage the starter with the key switch. It used to only happen once and a while, now it never works. I ran a wire down and tied into the small wire on the starter, connect that to 12V to engage the starter now. I wanted to get the key to work. I bypassed the VATS with a 7.25K ohm resister, and it still won't start. I located the starter relay under the dash. There are some other wires tied into this relay that I don't think are supposed to be there. I suspect a loving gift from the previous owner. I want to remove whats not supposed to be there. Does anyone have a schmatic, or wiring diagram that shows this relay? I do have a service manual, but it's a preliminary manual for the 1993. It scares me to be in where the SIR system could activate. I'm thinking that if all else fails, I could run 12V from the key start wire directly to the starter. I realize it could start in drive then. I sure wish I knew what the wires did and where they go. Thanks!

Last edited by choopes; 06-14-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: found a schematic on the F-body forum, I have more to check.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If the Security light is staying on when you turn the ignition On, your by pass resistor is out of tolerance.

Is the key code #13?

Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by choopes
It scares me to be in where the SIR system could activate.
That is very unlikely to happen. The SIR system discharges when the key is off and can't fire after a few minutes. The normal way to disable it is to pull the fuse and wait 5 minutes (way more time than you really need).

Get notified of new replies

To key doesn't engage starter, schematic needed

Quick Reply: key doesn't engage starter, schematic needed