C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 is Running

Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 AM
FranksRedC4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 is Running

The 1990 Vette I bought 5 weeks ago has come back to life. When i got it, it had been parked for almost 3 years. The drain hole under the fuel filler door was clogged and the tank filled with rain and melting snow. I started this project by pumping 12 gallons of sludge out of the fuel tank. I then removed the fuel filter and blew out the fuel lines with my compressor. then I wiped the inside of the tank clean and installed a new Racetronics pump. Then it was on to the injectors. With the help of Jon at FIC I got some Bosch III's. The installation was fairly easy. I used a dremel tool to clean up and polish the the plenum and runners. I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and torqued it all back down.
Now it was time to trouble shoot a no spark condition. I replaced the plugs, cap, rotor and coil . Still no spark. It was time to break out the Factory Service Manual. The detail in these pages is incredible. I followed step by step instructions using a multimeter and a noid light and isolated the problem to either the Ignition Module or the Pick-up Coil. The pick up coil had to be ordered so i got the ignition module and headed back home. When i opened up the distributor again, i notice moisture in the bottom of it, under the pick up coil. I knew then this would need to be replaced. This moisture got in because the rubber grommets that i suspect are supposed to wrapped around the wiring is missing. A quick temporary fix with some RTV. I installed the new ignition module and put it all back together and as expected, No Spark !! Pick up coil was the problem !
Saturday morning i pulled the Distributor after pointing the rotor towards the number one cylinder and marking its position. Getting the "C" Clip out that holds the Pick up coil in was the most difficult part of this entire project. .Honestly, getting it out was easy, finding it on my front lawn after it flew out was really the hard part. Installed the new Pick up coil, Dropped the distributor back in, put all the plug wires back on cleared all my tools from the area. Checked the oil one more time and turned the key. . listened for the fuel pump to prime the rails. . . and Vroom !!! This thing fired up immediately !!! I let it run in the drive way for 5 or so minutes and off i went. Oh what a feeling. I haven't driven a car so responsive in a very long time. I drove around the neighborhood for a few miles to get the bugs out. The temp ran a little high but not bad.
Now its time to change all the fluids.replace the thermostat and grease up the chassis. Just in time for summer !!
Thank you all for your help getting to this point. I bought the car for $1700 and have put another 3 or 4 hundred into it in parts.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Just BOB
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! It is nice to read a success story that reflects logical troubleshooting, use of proper reference materials, and replacement of bad parts and nothing more. The result? You turn the key, it fires right up and you drive away. That's how it's supposed to work. Beats the heck out of "here's a list of all the parts I threw at it, no, I didn't check for fuel or spark, and no, I am not going to tell you what year the car is, auto vs 6 speed, but please research my problem ASAP"

Love the price too. Enjoy your car!!!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 AM
FranksRedC4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These boards make it so easy to work on it. For example, I never would have thought about drilling a hole in the thermostat. . i learned it here. I have to admit, at first i was a little intimidated but i read countless threads on here and realized there isn't much that i cant do in my own garage with the right tools.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. It is a great accomplishment to bring one back to life. Mine was a basket case 3 years ago.

I was taught from an early age that those "C" clips are called "Jesus Clips". That's what you say when they fly away.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 is Running

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 is Running