C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shock Absorbers on an "84"

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:15 PM
garryowen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Absorbers on an "84"

this might seem odd to ask. it doesn't seem to me they would work the same as cars with soft springs, where dampening and stabilizing the wheels are.

what do you look for in a shock, for a car sprung as stiff as the stock 84's are?

rebound can't be much of a issue as stiff as the springs are and as light as the car is.

any way have come a long way in rehabbing the 84 and starting to fine tune the ride. it is a bit harsh but used to trucks and pick ups so can live with that.
have changed all the rear bushings, installed all new wheel bearings, had 4 wheel alinement done. next step shocks and then new tires.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:22 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have the stock springs on an 84, the shocks are only going to make a slight bit of difference. Some GOOD shocks will take the initial jolt out of the suspension but the harsh over-all ride will remain.

The springs dictate how comfortable the ride quality is. The shocks make the most difference when the springs do the least...

I installed the 2nd to stiffest 84 spring on my 87 when it was a track/race car so it would remain stable and not roll at higher speeds. That was fine for then, now that its a DD its literally a PITA and I'll be shopping for another 299in/lb spring or similar rate as later models were equipped....the 411 spring is like a buck-board. I got the best results from Bilsteins (standard equip for all vette performance packages) because they have progressive dampening that takes more of the jolt out the further the shock travels...the 1st 1" takes a lite amount of impact to move..the 2nd inch takes more and so on...this progressive dampening seems to help the stiff springs more than other brands. And, I am a believer in the 'stein quality after recently pulling a set off the front that STILL had gas charge after 28 years? The dampening was shot but the gas charge still tried to pull the shock apart....amazing. AT $75 to $100 ea they are expensive BUT you DO get what you pay for. And, you can order your 'steins to be set up any way you want from their factory and rebuild old ones any way you desire...just talk to them and they will guide you.

IIWM, I'd call Bilstein and get a consult.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:07 PM
garryowen
Instructor

thanks much lee. didn't think of bilstein. calling will be good start

that confirms what i suspected. before shocks i need to to get the numbers off my springs and then tone them down a bit.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Gary,
I had Edelbrock shock on my 84 and they sucked big time. Replaced them with the Bilsteins which were better, but still not "right". I have the Bilsteins again on my 91 and now even with the Z51 springs, they still aren't "right". I'm planning on replacing them with Konis.

Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM
garryowen
Instructor

ok; just like lee said.

smooths out the jolt. got some napa replacements for $22 each to try.

old shocks were all shot. no oil or nitrogen charge.

before couldn't use c d player as it would skip on almost every bump. went on a 300 mile drive today and never skipped once and was on some rough but paved roads.

not near as hard on my back and wife was much happier after ride.longest ride to date we have taken.

had also installed 4 new B F G comp 2 tires and they did help but would say the shocks made the biggest difference. (drove about 40 miles on new shocks before put tires on)

would say my ride now is about the same as heavy half ton short wheel base pu driving empty.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:54 PM
indianavette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by garryowen
ok; just like lee said.

smooths out the jolt. got some napa replacements for $22 each to try.

old shocks were all shot. no oil or nitrogen charge.

before couldn't use c d player as it would skip on almost every bump. went on a 300 mile drive today and never skipped once and was on some rough but paved roads.

not near as hard on my back and wife was much happier after ride.longest ride to date we have taken.

had also installed 4 new B F G comp 2 tires and they did help but would say the shocks made the biggest difference. (drove about 40 miles on new shocks before put tires on)

would say my ride now is about the same as heavy half ton short wheel base pu driving empty.
For what it's worth...I bought a 33k-mile Z51 '84 a year ago. Replaced the BMB (102 N/MM) with an HMZ (83.5 N/mm) front spring. Replaced the BMF (72 N/mm) rear with an NYU (57.2 N/mm). Tried a set of softer Bilsteins on the front. Found it still way to harsh. Replaced all four shocks with Autozone standard issue. The result might have been a slight handling degradation but I now have a really comfortable ride. I'm very pleased.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
garryowen
Instructor

my springs are B M A 005846 AND B M F 005637

unless these napa shocks just fall apart i will be happy to leave them on. the ride and handling i have now is totally expectable.

i am doing my best to make this auto a reliable daily driver. getting very close to that now

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Absorbers on an "84"

Quick Reply: Shock Absorbers on an "84"