C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Key VATS

Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM
ken93vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key VATS

Last week posted message regarding son losing key. Since then went to dealer who made me a key which was for resistance 14, it did not work.
I hired a locksmith with an "interegator" box, he could not find the resistance. He said that possible a wire broke from lock.
This I find hard as my son moved my car just before he lost the keys.
Without having to tow the car to the dealer, then get charged $$$$ has anyone installed the VATS bypass? I saw on a previous thread that there is a guy on ebay that sells them. However, while mechanically fairy capable, i have very little understanding of electrical and don't own a metering device.
Has anyone installed the VATS bypass, i also understand you have to bypass the starter Enable Relay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-VATS-or-PASSkey-II-Bypass-Module-For-LS1-and-LT1-/271223021636?vxp=mtr
Should i take my steering column apart first to check the wiring?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did the dealer conclude it was a key #14? did he use the interrogator first. The ign lock cylinder reads the resistance in the key pellet, it has two thin wires (usually yellow) with a connector that runs to the anti theft. If it is indeed a key 14 and of the correct resistance, and the cylinder is in good shape and the wire is intact the car should start?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You could just have it programmed out with a piggyback chip, or have yours reprogrammed.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

There is a Central Control Module test to verify if the key pellet resistance can be read. This tells you the key cylinder contacts and wiring are good.

Short pin A to G on the diagnostic connector above the drivers right knee with a piece of wire or paper clip. Turn the ignition On don't start the engine.
Look at the dash cluster LCD.

After the numbers cycle 1.0 will be displayed. Press ODO button on the driver information center until 1.2 is displayed. Press Eng/Met button until 06xxx displays in the odometer area. Note the value of xxx.

Example if the key code is 14 the xxx value should be a number between 199-204.
That tells you the key cylinder contacts and wiring to the CCM are good.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 07-09-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,016 Posts

Since you're this far into it let's confirm some things.

You did a VIN request from the GM dealer and the response came back with a VATS code. If that's the case and the key rotates the cylinder it's unlikely that anything has been changed. Have the dealer "drop the key" in their "Interrogator" to confirm the resistance of the key that they made you. Stranger things have happened, maybe it's not the correct key. It's unusual for a VATS code to be returned with an older VIN but someone else mentioned a week ago that he did a '91 and it was included. It is an "exception" rather than the rule!

The VATS code would have been included as a two letter code not a number and the letter codes changed through the years. It's possible that the person had the correct letter code but misinterpreted the chart which gives the values. I'd start back at the dealer with the key you have and the information the dealer requested.

In this post column 7 displays VATS resistance and in (XX) there's 2 letter codes that would have come back with the key request to GM - those codes aren't the same for all years. The dealer can access a chart for the years and confirm the 2 letter code that was on your key request. Is the chart correct that's included in this link? For a '93 I'm not sure, that chart is posted allover the Internet by locksmiths etc but for a fact there are different charts for various years. I thought there maybe 2 for single sided and 2 for double sided VATS. Is there only 1 for single sided? I don't recall.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1557847121-post4.html

START AT THE DEALER IF THE KEY ROTATED THE CYLINDER !!!

Does the door key work also?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrWillys
You could just have it programmed out with a piggyback chip, or have yours reprogrammed.
Wrong ! That will only do the "fuel enable" aspect. Once that's done the starter enable relay needs to be by-passed also to completely remove VATS. That is also quite simple BUT it is NOT included in the piggyback or a PROM programmed by someone.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-01-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 PM
ken93vette
Instructor

I took my title/id to the dealer and he submitted a request through GM $48. Then it came back with the code and for $60 i got 2 keys that did not work.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:43 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Only fixes the fuel supply part.

Still have to manually bypass the starter enable relay also operated by VATS
Old 07-01-2013, 07:49 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ken93vette
I took my title/id to the dealer and he submitted a request through GM $48. Then it came back with the code and for $60 i got 2 keys that did not work.
The door and the ignition both didn't work? Ask the dealer to confirm their work and cut you the ignition on a "work-key" blank GM # 26007687. If that doesn't rotate the cylinder then this is a possibility. The ignition cylinder was replaced because of wear and the code is different for the mechanical aspect BUT likely not the VATS.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:53 PM
ken93vette
Instructor

The key that the dealer cut did rotate the ignition cylinder.
However the security light is on.
When the locksmith used his interegator, i take it the key just has to be turned on? the clutch does not need to be depressed?
I have a separate key for the door vs ignition.

Last edited by ken93vette; 07-01-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Only fixes the fuel supply part.

Still have to manually bypass the starter enable relay also operated by VATS
You are correct, however if no fault is found at the ignition the VATS module will not set the starter enable relay. There must be a fault in the VATS module, or starter relay once it is programmed out of the ignition, or the system operates fine.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Wrong ! That will only do the "fuel enable" aspect. Once that's done the starter enable relay needs to be by-passed also to completely remove VATS. That is also quite simple BUT it is NOT included in the piggyback or a PROM programmed by someone.
See above.
RIGHT, if in fact it is the ignition. Otherwise, bypass the starter enable relay.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

The key that the dealer cut did rotate the ignition cylinder.
However the security light is on.
When the locksmith used his interegator, i take it the key just has to be turned on? the clutch does not need to be depressed?
I have a separate key for the door vs ignition.
OK - The key rotates the cylinder. The locksmith I don't believe can use his Interrogator with anything other than a work-key unless it's a type that you slide in on both sides of the key. A GM Interrogator installs under the dash and plugs into the car harness and the cylinder leads. If the car is a manual yes the clutch would still need depressed to crank the car unless it has been defeated earlier.

Regardless start at the dealer and have all work checked. Ask to see the key request from GM and get the VATS letter code, compare it to the chart in the thread I posted and I'm trying to find the balance of the charts.

It seems the entire routine from the locksmith may have been in vain if the clutch was never depressed to confirm crank. How long did he wait between requests?

If the key rotated do the test that "Hooked On Vettes" posted and see what that value is. Do that test/check a couple times and make sure you're doing it with a charged battery. A low battery can be a serious detriment to all of this. Charge the battery well!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a second chart and I was quite confident there was at least one more but I can't put my hands on it maybe it just rotated by year and single/double and there were several columns of the same repetitive information! There's an obvious error in this chart also! The #1 was only used in 1986.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-01-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

All very good information, especially the specific value resistors on ebay. These resistors are simply doing the job the Interrogator does. I don't think the dealer or GM has the resistor values (though i'm not positive of this), that is why they designed the Interrogator.
Again, how did the dealer come up with the #14 key???, if this was a random selection that he just cut the key code on, you probably have the wrong key. I have used the interrogator and it works, just faster then building resistor packs to duplicate the key pellet value. Why the locksmith could not get the values is a mystery, however "Hooked" and "WVR" gave you some good info on how to eliminate the cylinder and wiring.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

See above.
RIGHT, if in fact it is the ignition. Otherwise, bypass the starter enable relay.
Your original comment is just WRONG and your attempts to cover it in your other posts just confirms your ignorance of the system. There is NO VATS module in this car! NONE - it's CCM controlled.

You "blew it" - learn from it and move on!!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Your original comment is just WRONG and your attempts to cover it in your other posts just confirms your ignorance of the system. There is NO VATS module in this car! NONE - it's CCM controlled.

You "blew it" - learn from it and move on!!
I still disagree, If the key is programmed out, and is not directed to set a fault, it does not send a signal to the starter enable relay.

Your claim is this simple. You're claiming that in a perfectly working system if the VATS is programmed out the starter enable relay will remain open and not allow the starter to engage? Please feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong, but if there's no fault to detect the system functions.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM
ken93vette
Instructor

OK - The key rotates the cylinder. The locksmith I don't believe can use his Interrogator with anything other than a work-key unless it's a type that you slide in on both sides of the key. A GM Interrogator installs under the dash and plugs into the car harness and the cylinder leads. If the car is a manual yes the clutch would still need depressed to crank the car unless it has been defeated earlier.

Regardless start at the dealer and have all work checked. Ask to see the key request from GM and get the VATS letter code, compare it to the chart in the thread I posted and I'm trying to find the balance of the charts.

It seems the entire routine from the locksmith may have been in vain if the clutch was never depressed to confirm crank. How long did he wait between requests?

If the key rotated do the test that "Hooked On Vettes" posted and see what that value is. Do that test/check a couple times and make sure you're doing it with a charged battery. A low battery can be a serious detriment to all of this. Charge the battery well!!!
The locksmith cut a key from mine which rotated, then attached 1 piece metal to each side, the attached wires to a black box that had 15 setting. He waited 3 min between settings, he did all 15 twice.

Get notified of new replies

To Key VATS

Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

The locksmith cut a key from mine which rotated, then attached 1 piece metal to each side, the attached wires to a black box that had 15 setting. He waited 3 min between settings, he did all 15 twice.
His key was then likely a work-key (just brass), do you have that key? I'd guess that he maybe didn't wait nearly long enough. The delay is debated 3 - 5 minutes and real early CCM's after four failed attempts it defaulted to 10 minutes I believe. Yours isn't that early, don't be concerned. Regardless start at the dealer first by having them "drop" the key that they sold you to confirm it's code. You'll see I posted another chart with codes. I really thought there was another but maybe not. If they've trashed your response from GM have them redo it for you.

I've never used that type Interrogator and I don't know anyone with one to ask how effective they are.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-01-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I still disagree, If the key is programmed out, and is not directed to set a fault, it does not send a signal to the starter enable relay.

Your claim is this simple. You're claiming that in a perfectly working system if the VATS is programmed out the starter enable relay will remain open and not allow the starter to engage? Please feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong, but if there's no fault to detect the system functions.
FROM A QUITE REPUTABLE PROGRAMMER:

Need a chip to bypass the VATS security in your 1986-1993 TPI V8 F-body or Corvette? We have a chip just to do that certain thing. You will be mailed a piggyback adpater that plugs in between your stock chip and stock computer. Instructions included. Be aware there are two VATS systems in most GM cars; a starter interrupt and PCM/Injector security. We can only disable what is inside the PCM. To disable the starter interrupt you will need to find the starter relay and bypass it by jumping pins 87 and 30. You must provide your stock prom code in the text field next to buy now or your order may be delayed. Your stock prom code will consist of 3-4 only letters, no numbers. Example BDZL, BUC, BAFL. It is found on your stock chip and/or on your stock computer. TBI cars are not supported.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 PM
frank j. moran
Racer

There is your problem. All he did was check the KEY value and not what is imbedded in the anti theft module. Take that car to someone who knows how to use the interrogator on your car. Drop the hush panel, disconnect the small connector that is part of the lock cylinder (see Above picture). Connect the Interrogator to the connector on the harness side, go thru the steps and the interrogator will determine the resistor value stored in the Module. You then get the proper key either 1-15, the Interrogator will tell you this. you cant look at the module and see any form of coding etc. don't waste your time. Use the interrogator and your done. If he took a multimeter and touched each side of the key pellet he could have determined the key value in about a min..??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key VATS