C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is drivers door light switch hard to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Lucky86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is drivers door light switch hard to replace?

When i close my drivers door all the courtesy lights stay on, then after 10 min of driving go out, then i hit a bump and they all come back on, so i think its the drivers pressure switch in the door jam. Do i just unscrew it?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I think you will find that your switch is stuck in the "in" position. You can buy new switches at the usual Corvette parts suppliers.

The switch is held in place by two screws that go into a metal plate inside the door. The metal plate is not attached to anything and will slide down the wiring harness if you take both screws out.

The trick is to loosen both screws, remove one screw and then move the switch to the side and put the screw back in the plate. Now you can remove the other screw and pull the switch out of the door.

There is a connector about 6" down the wiring harness. It is small enough to come out of the hole and you can plug in a replacement.

If you can find a magical lubricant that will work on these switches I would sure like to know about it. I have tried many different kinds and haven't found one that works permanently.

Some people will tell you the switch is self adjusting and to pull out the center button. That is completely bogus and the button will get pushed back into its original position when you close the door.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 AM
C-Monster
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of people simply gluing a penny into the door jamb where the switch makes contact. The theory being that the penny is just thick enough to push the plunger on the switch just a little further in, like what the 'adjuster' on the switch is supposed to do.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP85C4
Cliff is talking about the door ajar switch on the rear of the door itself. It does not control the dome lights on 84-89.

The early C4's have door pin switches in the hinge pillar. These are for the alarm, dome lights, and key buzzer.
Dave is right on this. I made a mistake. Now I'm wondering what the rear switch does do... TDS maybe?

The interior lights are controlled by the courtesy light delay module (and that switch). I did some testing and noticed that the SECURITY light stops flashing when I press on the front switch. The interior lights go out after about 30 seconds or so.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Dave is right on this. I made a mistake. Now I'm wondering what the rear switch does do... TDS maybe?
Cliff, He told you it was the Door Ajar Switch. Lights the DOOR AJAR light in the DIC. Nothing more. Forward switch does TDS as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Is drivers door light switch hard to replace?

Quick Reply: Is drivers door light switch hard to replace?