C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Caution- wiper blade length

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:00 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caution- wiper blade length

I bought my 1992 convertible 6 weeks ago with only 9400 miles on it, but since it was 21 years old, the previous owner had changed the wiper blades - more than once I suspect over 21 years.

Because Austin, texas is in the midst of a serious drought, I had only ever used the wipers up to now to clear condensation and light sprinkles off the windshield. I had not yet needed to run them for more than a pass or 2 across the windshield.

Yesterday, it was raining lightly but fairly steadily, so I needed to run the wipers a bit, when even the steep backslope of the windshield was not enough to clear it without wipers.

As the wipers moved ack and forth, I thought to myself "Boy, those 2 wipers get AWFULLY close to each other at one point in the cycle!"

Imagine my surprise when they actually collided once, and then a short time later, again. I quickly guessed that perhaps they were not the right length. So, I let the backslope of the windshield clear the rain instead.

When I stopped at an Advance Auto Parts store, I asked for a new pair of high quality wipers, and the clerk quickly determined that the car requires 19" blades. When we went otuside to change the blades, you guessed it, the old ones were 20" blades!

I shudder to think what a string of collisions of the 2 wipers could do to the wiper drive mechanism (plastic parts) in the wiper motor cover. I'm glad it was not a deluge of rain when I discovered the problem.

Just a caution to other C4 owners . . .

Jim G
Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

What would you say if I told you that OE is 20"?
Old 07-16-2013, 02:53 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
What would you say if I told you that OE is 20"?
I would say that the aftermarket apparently noted that the 20 inch wipers were occasionally colliding (perhaps when one of them experiences more friction on a lightly wet windshield), and clearly shows in their equivalence tables that a 1992 Corvette requires 19 inch wipers!

Sometimes the aftermarket is smarter than GM. And after reading the story about how GM's qualification team changed the size of the moisture drain holes in the Optispark AND changed the material spec for one or more parts in the Opti to something cheaper that was problematic, I'd say getting the aftermarket's opinion has merit.

Jim G
Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe they were timed wrong !!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM
94flavette
Drifting

Sometime around late-94, early-95 GM changed the passenger wiper arm to one that has a small bend just before the wiper end of the arm. It was to help with collisions. Apparently they retrofitted older cars that reported collisions because both of my 94's have the updated arm.

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I'd say getting the aftermarket's opinion has merit.
The problem with much of the aftermarket's opinion is that I have trouble translating Chinese.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

I usually buy 1" shorter windshield wipers because when it is heavy rain and I have to put it on high they go off the windshield and it annoyed me so the 1 " shorter blades fixed that. I have never had any problems with them colliding before.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 AM
1993 Z07
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience and giving new Vette owners heads up. After having flown to a far away city to buy my 93 last year I have a bad taste in my mouth for anyone selling a car to someone that has worn, and torn wiper blades. I had to change mine in a rain storm. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Veryevilkitten2
I usually buy 1" shorter windshield wipers because when it is heavy rain and I have to put it on high they go off the windshield and it annoyed me so the 1 " shorter blades fixed that. I have never had any problems with them colliding before.
if buying separately, only 1 of them needs to be shorter
Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
If doing only one shorter, make it the one that is LOWER than the other when they cross, to minimize the collision opportunity.

Jim G
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
The place I buy from is local and makes their own wiper blades and it is about $5 cheaper to buy them as a pair. But the one time I did buy separately I did what you said and bought the driver side wiper blade 1" shorter and the other regular size.

Anyways, thanks for posting that for others so that they know.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

I changed over from 19" to 18" blades Tuesday evening just in time!

Today, it rained buckets in Austin, Texas, AND because of the resulting insane traffic, the commute home took 1.5 hours, with the wipers running ALL the time - either on LO setting or on interval wiping. NO wiper collisions!!

Jim G
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a similar issue, I did notice that the lower blade with some aftermarket wipers has a different sweep if you flip it around.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 AM
czeben
Heel & Toe

Default '92 vette

I recently purchased new wipers and the drivers side is hitting the hood. It clunks out to wipe and hits the hood when I switch it to off.

What is my option as I have thrown away the old ones.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-19-2013, 12:00 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by czeben
I recently purchased new wipers and the drivers side is hitting the hood. It clunks out to wipe and hits the hood when I switch it to off.

What is my option as I have thrown away the old ones.

Thanks,
Chris
If it BOTH (a) "clunks out to wipe" (i presume you mean it hits the OUTSIDE edge of the windshield, and (b) hits the hood when parking, it is too long. 19" blade lengths work for me.

Jim G
Old 07-19-2013, 12:55 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

czeban: Just occurred to me: I am assuming you have the correct, factory stock wiper ARMS. If the wrong arms were installed at some point, they may simply be too long even with the correct length wipers blades installed.

IF you had said that the wiper blades hit EITHER the hood or the outside edge of the windhsield, but not both, I would say your wipers are mis-indexed. i.e. the arms were installed at the wrong "clocking" angle relative to the sweep range of the wiper motor assembly.

Jim G
Old 07-19-2013, 02:06 PM
czeben
Heel & Toe

Default '92 Vette

The wiper arms are original to the car as far as I know. I have owned it about a year and a half. On my way across this great country of ours, the wiper was hitting the left side of the windshield moulding and the wiper was ripped, so I replaced the wiper and discovered it would not fit under the hood when turning the wipers off.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:22 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by czeben
The wiper arms are original to the car as far as I know. I have owned it about a year and a half. On my way across this great country of ours, the wiper was hitting the left side of the windshield moulding and the wiper was ripped, so I replaced the wiper and discovered it would not fit under the hood when turning the wipers off.
You may have gotten a wiper blade assembly whose PROFILE is too high for the Corvette available space. Get a pair of blades that have a lower profile (measured from blade surface edge to topmost part of thickest portion of the arm assembly).

Jim G

Get notified of new replies

To Caution- wiper blade length

Old 09-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Wiper Blades Revisited

I just purchased a 1993 Corvette. The previous owner had replaced the Blades with after market which were too high and hit the rear edge of the hood.
I bought another set (these were 19" as per some suggestions on this thread). Two Vettes ago on my 1986 I recall some difficulty with the height of the blade and I believe I had to buy a Special very low Blade from somewhere.
Does anyone know where to get a set? I have been searching thru the web with no luck.
Please let me know.
Barrier

Last edited by Barrier; 09-24-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:14 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

we bought our "low blades" through the dealer we deal at. cost was equivalent to the auto stores
Old 09-24-2016, 08:05 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrier
I just purchased a 1993 Corvette. The previous owner had replaced the Blades with after market which were too high and hit the rear edge of the hood.
I bought another set (these were 19" as per some suggestions on this thread). Two Vettes ago on my 1986 I recall some difficulty with the height of the blade and I believe I had to buy a Special very low Blade from somewhere.
Does anyone know where to get a set? I have been searching thru the web with no luck.
Please let me know.
Barrier
For your car these are considered A FIT ACD 8-2202, GM 89001009 and Trico 20-2 OR if yours still had the original blades you could buy just the inserts. I've only used GM OE inserts for years. The GM OE blades are likely still available from a dealer - check maybe.

Quick Reply: Caution- wiper blade length