C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please help! LT4 Serpentine Belt Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 02:28 PM
convertiblecorvetteman
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Please help! LT4 Serpentine Belt Problem

Hello!

I am hoping that somebody may be able to help me with a serpentine belt problem that I am having with my corvette. I have a 1996 corvette with an LT4 engine that keeps fraying serpentine belts. The belt seems to go after every 10,000 miles or so. A look at the alignment of the pulleys shows that the crankshaft pulley seems to be farther forward than the rest of the pulleys. This causes the belt to ride on the forward edge of the power steering pump pulley. The rubbing causes the belt to fray and eventually break if not changed. I am wondering if there is some way of adjusting the depth on the pulleys? I would like to change the depth on either the crankshaft or the power steering pump so that the belt runs in a single plane. If anybody has experienced this problem or can suggest a solution, it would be greatly appreciated. I thank anybody in advance for their help.

Best regards,
CCMAN
Old 06-28-2002, 03:42 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Please help! LT4 Serpentine Belt Problem (convertiblecorvetteman)

Can't look at mine right now. I am certain all my pulleys line up just fine. Is it only the power steering pulley that seems too far back? Or, are all except the crack pulley set back? Could your crank pulley be the culprit? I.e., not torqued down to fit flush? However, I'd think you'd have seen problems from that by now. Strange, I will check mine tonight. :flag
Old 06-28-2002, 08:15 PM
FrankLT4CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked my LT4 and all pulleys seem in alignment. The only thing I can think of is to find another LT4 near you and compare side by side to see if possible someone modified your car and put the wrong part on. Also you might try adding washers behind your power steering pump to ruduce the stress on the belt. It seemed to be easy to get to the bolts from when I did my plug wire change. FrankLT4CE
Old 06-28-2002, 11:17 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Please help! LT4 Serpentine Belt Problem (FrankLT4CE)

If your 96 is using the same pump as my 92, then it is possible to seat the pully to far inboard on the shaft. Did you buy the car new or are you other than the original buyer? If it was a used car and the original owner repaired/ replaced the pump, the pully may not have been reinstalled correctly.
Just my $.02 worth.
Old 06-29-2002, 07:30 PM
lead_foot
Racer

Default Re: Please help! LT4 Serpentine Belt Problem (ittlfly)

I just checked my this morning. All pulleys including the crank are perfectly aligned. It sounds like someone was into your engine and didn't completely seat the crankshaft balancer hub. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:12 AM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, like the others, the pulleys on my LT4 are in very close alignment. I hope it is something easy :)
Old 07-01-2002, 01:52 PM
convertiblecorvetteman
Cruising

All,

I just wanted to thank you all for the time you took to help me with my problem. I am going to investigate each of the suggested causes and hopefully find the culprit. I am leaning towards an improperly installed power steering pump pulley, but I will definitely take a look at the crank. Again many thanks,
CCMan

Get notified of new replies

To Please help! LT4 Serpentine Belt Problem

Quick Reply: Please help! LT4 Serpentine Belt Problem