C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SuperRam fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:32 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default SuperRam fitment question

Over the years, I've heard several stories about fitment issues/struggles with the superram. Probably the most prevalent has been interference with valve covers. I've serioiusly considered swapping to a SR upper this past summer -- largely because I wouldn't have to pull the distributor and lower intake. All I'd have to do is port match the upper-to-lower runners....and retune.

Obviously, SRs are few/far between -- but they are around. I considered a recent polished version to avoid the work I know would be required. It's sat for awhile so it appears they don't sell like hotcakes...in that price-range anyway.

I figure my only option is to buy a unit and try it. Then, if there's too much interference with my valve covers (or whatever), that I'd have to resell it. Let me know if you disagree. More importantly, let me know if you have an inkling of whether a SR might contact my aftermarket valve covers....

Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I suspect your valve covers will be fine. I'm using slant covers designed to clear roller rockers. On the slants, they move the inner wall inboard so the perimeter bolts are actually recessed into the wall. I had to do a slight amount of clearancing on the runners to make those work.

You may need to rework the routing for the PCV line into the manifold. On my 85 the stock PCV line was metal tubing that ran between the runners and the valve cover. There just wasn't enough room for the tube.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Greg, the valve covers with Superram plenum is not an issue. (Not really even close) The tall valve cover interfering with the wiper motor housing has been seen, but has nothing to do with the Superram.

Some people have issues with air leaks after installation, but if you do it right, this is not an issue. (I did too my first time) Some have difficulty with the inner belly bolts of the plenum to runner.... but neither of these are a real problem if you know how to put it on.

In reality, the Superram is easy to install.... but then again, I've done it 7 or 8 times over the years. It does take longer than say a Miniram.... but maybe just 30-40 minutes longer.

If you ever do get one, PM me before you put it on, I'll give you a few tips that helped me over the years.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:43 PM
89L98TPI
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

A SR will look good on top of that. Check out my pictures. Looks very similar. I agree with Beach also. There not that bad to install. You learn a few tricks doing it once or reading up on here.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:45 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree with Beach Bum that the install is not that bad. There's plenty of tips and tricks on how to make it easier. I installed studs for the middle inner bolts and I slotted the ends of the remaining bolts so I could install from above with a screwdriver. Air leaks are a possibility. I found a thin coat of RTV on the lower runner gaskets took care of the most likely leaks. Then I use white lithium grease on the remaining gaskets.

As you can see from the picture, the slant covers were a challenge. But your valve covers should have plenty of clearance.

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/Ca..._1545.jpg.html

Last edited by cumbercr; 08-04-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

I have not tried to install those exact covers but if there is an issue it might be easy to fix. I scalloped these out a little so they just dropped right on:

Also ground out the drip tabs. They fit really nice even with full size roller rockers. The clearance work cannot be seen with them installed.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:05 PM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GREGGPENN- awesome looking engine bay! I like the look of the SR myself, but fear of fitment is also a concern. My objectives are a little different though, I plan to go LT-x or miniram.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Take the bolts that go from the underside and slot them. That will allow you to turn it with a screwdriver and snug them up. Then you can use the wrench to tighten it up.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I have not tried to install those exact covers but if there is an issue it might be easy to fix. I scalloped these out a little so they just dropped right on:

That's what it took to get my covers on. Very small radius at each runner, about 1/8" deep.

Get notified of new replies

To SuperRam fitment question

Quick Reply: SuperRam fitment question