C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Click when coming to a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Click when coming to a stop?

1994 LT1/ZF6

As the car is just coming to a stop I can hear a 'click, click, click'. Seems to happen regardless of brake use, just that in the last dozen or so feet of motion I hear it. It's very faint and my wife didn't even notice it.

All the u joints have less than 3000 miles on them. They are all sealed (no grease fittings). The halfshafts have spicers and the prop shaft has Brutes (I believe, those came from the chain store). I have a set of new Teflon washers waiting to go in, as I do get the loud click when pulling away from a stop. Was hoping to push that off till the driving season is over. Could these be related? The slowing down click is much softer/duller sounding and is multiple clicks where as the acceleration from a stop click is a single click which I know to be the Teflon washers. I noticed the decel click for the first time yesterday.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

If you have the equipment, jack the vette, and rotate one wheel at a time to see if you can duplicate the noise you hear when driving.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

I can do that - but will I be able to over come the clutches in the diff to rotate the rear wheels independently? I guess is I rotate both and hear the noise I should be able to isolate it to a side. It's worth a try, can't replicate the same loads as it sees on the street but nothing to lose in trying.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same issue on my 84- its a very faint ticking sound you only hear when driving low speeds- Like 5-15 mph. Unfortunately I havent had time to look into mine yet. My u joints are also new. sounds to me like it comes from the left front wheel but not sure.

I would be interested in what you find.

Get notified of new replies

To Click when coming to a stop?

Quick Reply: Click when coming to a stop?