C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just bought an 84 bette

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Keachers
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an 84 vette

just recently purchased a 1984 corvette for a little under 2,000. It has a 600 cfm edelbrock carburetor. My problem is that it runs then stalls out, then it fires back up, then it'll shut off again. the vacuum line was on the wrong side of carb and i fixed that. Any ideas? And the passenger side windshield needs a new motor and the dashboard lights dont work. The dash will light up for a second and then shut off.

Last edited by Keachers; 08-13-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Carb swapped '84 with an edelbrock... my best guess with the given info is that its a fuel issue. If the hood isn't vented an edelbrock tends to boil the fuel in the float bowl. Even with a vented hood they can still boil the fuel if you can't put an insulator gasket between the carb and the intake, which from my understanding will not fit, given the clearance issues.

If you don't want to cut your hood but still want to keep it carbureted, try going with a holly carburetor. Their design separates the float bowls from the main body of the carb a lot better and it tends to prevent fuel boiling issues. Also, I have had an edelbrock carb on my '84 for a little over a year now, and as soon as I can I am going to upgrade to a holly. I don't have fuel boiling issues, but I have had nothing but problems tuning this carb with my engine setup and have recently discovered that the idle circuit is no longer functioning properly, as is the case with most edelbrock performer series carbs. I am going with a 700cfm to go along with a bigger modification, but this carb here http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-76650rd should do just fine.

There are quite a few of us here that have carbureted '84s. If you have any issues with it or would like to get more power out of a carb setup, I'm sure one of us would be glad to answer any questions.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 AM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your dash probably just needs to be soldered. As far as the other, how much money you got! Lol. A "Fast" fuel injection would solve your problem for years to come. Meaning, you can eventually build the **** out of it, and it will always run perfect, and get optimal fuel economy. (Self tuning!) h
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Keachers
Heel & Toe

when you say cut the hood what exactly do you mean?? i thought about cutting it bc of clearance issues. so when you say cut im thinking that i would cut it and do an aftermarket hood scoop but make it functional?? Idk
Old 08-14-2013, 11:34 AM
86vettephx
1st Gear

Default Is a proform chrome plated 100 Amp alternator a good choice,or 140 Amp better buy

I need to replace my alternator and wanted to upgrade the chrome plated one without spending a fortune,summit racing offers a proform chrome alternator for $115.97 100 Amp or a 140 Amp for $153.97 what one is recommended? thank you.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Congratulations, you bought a money pit.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:25 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Congratulations, you bought a money pit.

I hope you know your way around a wrench. If I were you I would just go LS based and forget about that old Xfire engine.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

Originally Posted by Keachers
when you say cut the hood what exactly do you mean?? i thought about cutting it bc of clearance issues. so when you say cut im thinking that i would cut it and do an aftermarket hood scoop but make it functional?? Idk
If you take a look at my profile pic you will see what I meant. I have a functional hillborn scoop on mine which sticks up through the hood. If you want more details on my current setup send a PM. There are other ways to get around the clearance issues though. You could put a larger cowl hood on the car and keep your stock hood stored somewhere in case you ever decide to do a "factory" restoration on it. With a higher cowl you could install an "air gap" intake manifold, which would help solve a fuel boiling issue.

Also, don't pay mind to half the forum when they cry "throw an LT or LS series in it!" I seriously doubt most of them would know the costs and time needed to cleanly swap in even a healthy used LT engine and in the end be just like every other C4 on the road and an LS engine swap would cost a great deal more. But in the end, it is your car, do with it what you want.

Last edited by Carbd84; 08-14-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Keachers
Heel & Toe

Well I just convinced myself to try a Holley carburetor, only problem I'm having now is the throttle linkage. And I plan on keeping it carbureted.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Carbd84
If you take a look at my profile pic you will see what I meant. I have a functional hillborn scoop on mine which sticks up through the hood. If you want more details on my current setup send a PM. There are other ways to get around the clearance issues though. You could put a larger cowl hood on the car and keep your stock hood stored somewhere in case you ever decide to do a "factory" restoration on it. With a higher cowl you could install an "air gap" intake manifold, which would help solve a fuel boiling issue.

Also, don't pay mind to half the forum when they cry "throw an LT or LS series in it!" I seriously doubt most of them would know the costs and time needed to cleanly swap in even a healthy used LT engine and in the end be just like every other C4 on the road and an LS engine swap would cost a great deal more. But in the end, it is your car, do with it what you want.
Let me introduce you to my car"Junior".

Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

I did say most. You're not the first to chime in on an '84 thread with a "just throw an Lt/Ls in it" comment. Being a master mechanic I fully understand the benifits of fuel injection. However in my opinion at least, for a hobby car, nothing beats a carburetor.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Carbd84
I did say most. You're not the first to chime in on an '84 thread with a "just throw an Lt/Ls in it" comment. Being a master mechanic I fully understand the benifits of fuel injection. However in my opinion at least, for a hobby car, nothing beats a carburetor.
You must be old
It's not for everyone but it's not as hard or expensive as you think.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

Oh I know its not hard or expensive for someone that can do the work themselves if they were to put in a stock engine. However who would do all that just to put on a stock engine, haha.

Oh and I'm only 26. I just enjoy hot rods.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Keachers
Heel & Toe

ok guys fight nice, im gonna stick with carburetor bc i dont have much money to go put a new engine in. I just recently got out of the army, and out of a 7 year marriage, my dad passing away on easter sunday so im staying at the house helping out my mom. i have a fulltime job but with rent/insurance/ cell phone/gas and electric/ and all the other things that come with owning a home i cant afford a new engine.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post up some pics of your motor. Like Carbed84 said, there are alot of us here to help you. I myself just went through my car repairing the carb install of the previous owner.

You dont HAVE to cut the hood or switch to a holley. I have the edlebrock on mine and have it tuned up pretty good. The only time I have a heat issue is after a drive a while and then turn the car off for more than 10 minutes. then its only slightly harder to start. Definitely able to live with it.

One thing you need to check ASAP is how is your kickdown cable connected for the transmission to the carb. If its not right, you can burn your trans up pretty quick

For your running problem- start with fuel pressure. Install a pressure gauge at the carb and check what you have... If the fuel pump is stock, you may be flooding.

Start saving your pennies, you will need them..
Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Keachers
Heel & Toe

ill post some pics in the morning, my friend was saying the kick down spring. where do you have yours hooked to and did you get it at a local parts store or special order??
Old 08-15-2013, 12:47 AM
hemivett
Pro

Originally Posted by ch@0s
You must be old
It's not for everyone but it's not as hard or expensive as you think.
Now that's too funny!

I am old! And even I know how much better todays tech is. That was why I suggested the Fast unit. It doesnt take a genius to tune, and it will bolt on, in place of the carb, so not a bunch of extra stuff to buy. Im planning on one my self, and ditch the CFI. Then when I do the ls swap, it will move over to that motor.....Endless possibilities! h

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought an 84 bette

Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hemivett
Now that's too funny!

I am old! And even I know how much better todays tech is. That was why I suggested the Fast unit. It doesnt take a genius to tune, and it will bolt on, in place of the carb, so not a bunch of extra stuff to buy. Im planning on one my self, and ditch the CFI. Then when I do the ls swap, it will move over to that motor.....Endless possibilities! h
I like the way you think ....Ck these out bolts on to a carb intake and takes no tuning.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM
hemivett
Pro

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I like the way you think ....Ck these out bolts on to a carb intake and takes no tuning.

Now that's what I'm talking about! And if you need more, you just add another, and the same computer controls both. Fast claims 2 will handle 1000+hp. http://www.atlanticspeed.com/product...ZQgodPHgAwwNow that's plenty for street use. h

Last edited by hemivett; 08-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM
hemivett
Pro

@ch@os Just checked out the MSD unit. I really like it! Especially the extra options the fast doesnt have. Thanks Brother. h

Quick Reply: Just bought an 84 bette