C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

DIC Flashing "INFL" -- No Seatbelt Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:10 PM
90Indy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIC Flashing "INFL" -- No Seatbelt Light

I have a 90 Vert that about every year or so I have to remove the frame rail sensors for the SIR, clean the dirt/corrosion and reset the "INLF" light. Normally, I get the standard seat belt light and a steady "INFL" light which tells me its time to do some cleaning. However, this go around, when I tried to erase the trouble code the seat belt light went out but the INFL light starting flashing code 12. It does not matter if the engine is running or not, the INFL light continues to flash code 12. I let it flash for sometime and stop counting at 10. I looked in the factory manual but I did not find where it addressed a continual code 12. Keep in mind that I am not trying to read a code, the car just continuously keeps it flashing. It is time to get the car inspected so I have to find a solution.

What am I missing? In the past I have successfully erased the code so I am confident that procedure has been correctly performed. I have not disconnected the battery which I will try this weekend.

Any thoughts?

90Indy
Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 AM
jdbuster
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to foram, I have the same problem seat belt Light and INFL REST light. Where are the frame rail sensors located at and how many. Maybe part of my problems. Thanks I just bought this car and is my frist one
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by 90Indy
I have a 90 Vert that about every year or so I have to remove the frame rail sensors for the SIR, clean the dirt/corrosion and reset the "INLF" light. Normally, I get the standard seat belt light and a steady "INFL" light which tells me its time to do some cleaning. However, this go around, when I tried to erase the trouble code the seat belt light went out but the INFL light starting flashing code 12. It does not matter if the engine is running or not, the INFL light continues to flash code 12. I let it flash for sometime and stop counting at 10. I looked in the factory manual but I did not find where it addressed a continual code 12. Keep in mind that I am not trying to read a code, the car just continuously keeps it flashing. It is time to get the car inspected so I have to find a solution.

What am I missing? In the past I have successfully erased the code so I am confident that procedure has been correctly performed. I have not disconnected the battery which I will try this weekend.

Any thoughts?

90Indy
You've missed nothing that I'm aware of and the "battery disconnect" might be the best next move. If you had access to a Tech1 with the SIR adapter and the '91 body cartridge that would be the only other choice I believe you might have. The SIR adapter and body cartridge wasn't available in '90 but would work:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...)#.UhyPd0Cj_SU

Is the SIR function light part of your safety inspection?

I have seen a mention previously that if the code 12 doesn't flash "SIX" times the codes have "NOT" been properly cleared. I didn't/don't know that it included constant flashing or more than six but the mention of six times stuck with me. I believe the "six' times is mentioned in the TSB also!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-27-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbuster
I am new to foram, I have the same problem seat belt Light and INFL REST light. Where are the frame rail sensors located at and how many. Maybe part of my problems. Thanks I just bought this car and is my frist one
Here's a link for the GM TSB:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...d#.UhyPN0Cj_SV
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One thing you can do to solve the frequent cleaning of the sensors is to make sure that both the mounting location on the frame and the base of the sensor are completely free of dirt and rust. Try wiping on a light layer of dielectric grease to both surfaces and reinstall the sensors.

You can also install the sensor and coat the outside surfaces around the mounting plate with something like POR-15 or a thick paint. Make sure to cover the area around the mounting bolt too.

If you use the AC frequently, try covering the passenger side sensor with a protective rubber piece. Something like a 6" square piece and tie it on the sensor with a zip tie. That could help with condensation from the A/C running down on the sensor and allowing rust to re-form.

Get notified of new replies

To DIC Flashing "INFL" -- No Seatbelt Light

Quick Reply: DIC Flashing "INFL" -- No Seatbelt Light