C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Timing change???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:45 AM
joseph p
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Timing change???

Set the timing with the EST bypass wire disconnected, when I got 6 degrees, I locked dist, then replugged EST bypass wire. Should I have seen the timing mark move?
Just wondering...
Old 09-11-2013, 11:38 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph p
Set the timing with the EST bypass wire disconnected, when I got 6 degrees, I locked dist, then replugged EST bypass wire. Should I have seen the timing mark move?
Just wondering...
Yes , as soon as you plug the EST wire back in the computer takes over the timing .....WW
Old 09-11-2013, 04:33 PM
joseph p
Drifting

Originally Posted by WW7
Yes , as soon as you plug the EST wire back in the computer takes over the timing .....WW
So...are you saying I should have seen the mark move after I rep lugged it?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:39 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Not necessarily...if the ECM needs to advance or retard it CAN after the EST is reconnected...its not necessarily a GOT to kinda thing at that moment, after all, if the engine is running fine, there is no need. The ECM needs to see some new data before it makes any changes anyway, like o2 or MAF or TPS change...etc then its motivated to move the timing as needed.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM
joseph p
Drifting

OK thanks...I'm gonna assume I hit it right
Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

On my car the ECM sets the timing to 20° BTDC at idle. That will cause the timing mark to move toward the 12:00 position on the harmonic balancer. I just took a peek at mine and it moves about an inch.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 09-12-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 AM
joseph p
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
On my car the ECM sets the timing to 20° BTDC at idle. That will cause the timing mark to move toward the 12:00 position on the harmonic balancer. I just took a peek at mine and it moves about an inch.
When does this happen? Are you just checking at a random time, not unplugging the EST, and you notice the timing is about an inch above the timing tab?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I have a timing tape on my harmonic balancer. I just did a timing chain replacement and did not set the timing then (been meaning to get to it -- just forgot). Your post reminded me so I went to the garage and adjusted the timing to 6° (it was 4°). Then I reconnected the EST connector and rechecked the timing and it was 20°. Surprised me because I thought the ECM added 20° to the 6° for a total of 26°, but that was not the case. I looked for the timing mark but couldn't see it because various things were in the way. I moved around and was able to see it about an inch above where it is with the EST connector open. I tried to take a picture but the timing light doesn't put out enough light for my camera.

Another way to look at it is that the timing moved by 14° so that would be roughly an inch on the circumference of the harmonic balancer. It's late and I need to get up at 4:00 AM tomorrow or I would calculate the amount...

Get notified of new replies

To Timing change???

Quick Reply: Timing change???