C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is there a gasket in between the exhaust manifold and the cats? 1992 LT-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Den14
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is there a gasket in between the exhaust manifold and the cats? 1992 LT-1

I have a leak where the exhaust manifold and cat come together on the passenger side. Is there a gasket that goes in between the two? It is a stock LT-1, 1992. If there is a gasket, where can I find one? Thanks Forum!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:10 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's leaking there? My 96 LT1 was leaking and the muffler shop I took it to said the same thing.. It was a CRACKED exhaust manifold that was causing it, which is why mine has Pacesetter Shorty Headers on it now.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Den14
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMelton
Are you sure it's leaking there? My 96 LT1 was leaking and the muffler shop I took it to said the same thing.. It was a CRACKED exhaust manifold that was causing it, which is why mine has Pacesetter Shorty Headers on it now.
I am fairly sure that it is leaking from that joint. Is there a gasket that can be replaced?
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Den14
I am fairly sure that it is leaking from that joint. Is there a gasket that can be replaced?
There is NOT a gasket/seal in that location. It's a ball/socket metal to metal seal. You can remove them and clean both of the sealing surfaces and use new studs/nuts to correct the seal. The studs can be tough!

They need soaked for a couple or more days before you attempt the repair

Good luck - it could get nasty!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Den14
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
There is NOT a gasket/seal in that location. It's a ball/socket metal to metal seal. You can remove them and clean both of the sealing surfaces and use new studs/nuts to correct the seal. The studs can be tough!

Thanks for the info and advice! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:31 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Muffler Shop I took mine to was pretty sure it was that flange too.

Both Donuts were there and intact when I took everything apart to put the headers on. Once we cut the heat shields off of the right side, we saw what was making all the racket. Cracked almost 360 degrees, and a chunk floating in and out of a crack hole.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Den14
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMelton
The Muffler Shop I took mine to was pretty sure it was that flange too.

Both Donuts were there and intact when I took everything apart to put the headers on. Once we cut the heat shields off of the right side, we saw what was making all the racket. Cracked almost 360 degrees, and a chunk floating in and out of a crack hole.
Yikes! I may be going with headers in the future anyway, but I hope it is just the joint at this point!
Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry, but there IS a donut gasket on the LT-1's. The L-98's have the donut shaped into the header. I used donuts for an LS-1 Corvette on mine (found out they fit since I had a spare) that I HAD to get from GM. The aftermarket versions don't have the "teeth" required for retention in the bottom of the manifold, so they keep falling out when you do the install. The GM ones have the teeth and stay put while you bolt up the pipes. About $22 from GM per each donut which was $1 more than the big box stores.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:37 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mcm95403
Sorry, but there IS a donut gasket on the LT-1's. The L-98's have the donut shaped into the header. I used donuts for an LS-1 Corvette on mine (found out they fit since I had a spare) that I HAD to get from GM. The aftermarket versions don't have the "teeth" required for retention in the bottom of the manifold, so they keep falling out when you do the install. The GM ones have the teeth and stay put while you bolt up the pipes. About $22 from GM per each donut which was $1 more than the big box stores.
OP mentions having a '92 and the sealing system you had in your image was first used in '96 BUT the later manifolds were used to service all year LT1's and THEN the donut you show HAD TO BE USED! I don't believe you'll see it used on a '95 or earlier unless the manifolds have been replaced.

I believe the "cross section" views in the FSM indicate this arrangement in the '92 car. The OP can post back with what he finds and maybe a manifold casting number. Do you have what you feel are LT1 manifolds hanging around with some casting information?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just looked at the manifolds that came off my 93, there is no gasket used, it is the cast in place ball and socket arrangement.
I could not find any casting numbers, but they may be under the tin heat shields that are riveted to the manifolds.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by toptechx6
I just looked at the manifolds that came off my 93, there is no gasket used, it is the cast in place ball and socket arrangement.
I could not find any casting numbers, but they may be under the tin heat shields that are riveted to the manifolds.

How have you been?

That's what I would have expected to find and it's good to have it confirmed. That's the way I believe it should be through '95 production. The heat-shields are pretty good sized best I recall so the casting is likely well hidden.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:21 PM
tilac999
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify, does the L98 use a gasket or is it just metal to metal ball and socket? I've got a leak. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tilac999
Just to clarify, does the L98 use a gasket or is it just metal to metal ball and socket? I've got a leak. Thanks.
Your L98 should be ball/socket with no seal!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Den14
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcm95403

So...If there is a leak at the joint, can a donut be used to help the seal? Would a GM dealer have the part then?
Old 09-21-2013, 07:42 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

So...If there is a leak at the joint, can a donut be used to help the seal? Would a GM dealer have the part then?
If your manifolds are original there is NO SERVICE PART - if it is a service manifold then yes a dealer will have them. A service number for them used to be 15713154 but I expect that will change. That is for sure the least expensive part number. Start with that one if you need a seal and have a manifold that has been replaced. You might buy the GM studs and nuts also. They're generally of a better quality than the after-market but might be expensive. The material used is different and meant for exhaust applications.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:08 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

OP mentions having a '92 and the sealing system you had in your image was first used in '96 BUT the later manifolds were used to service all year LT1's and THEN the donut you show HAD TO BE USED! I don't believe you'll see it used on a '95 or earlier unless the manifolds have been replaced.

I believe the "cross section" views in the FSM indicate this arrangement in the '92 car. The OP can post back with what he finds and maybe a manifold casting number. Do you have what you feel are LT1 manifolds hanging around with some casting information?
I stand corrected!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:39 PM
prostreeter
Instructor

Default exhaust donut manifold to cat.

is there a donut here on 92 lt1 or not.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
prostreeter
Instructor

Default donut

How have you been?

That's what I would have expected to find and it's good to have it confirmed. That's the way I believe it should be through '95 production. The heat-shields are pretty good sized best I recall so the casting is likely well hidden.
after reading all treads zip corvette sells a donut for lt1 fel pro #61258 so should i need or is it just matched metal to metal, thanks if you can tell me. 92 vette

Last edited by prostreeter; 01-07-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by prostreeter
after reading all treads zip corvette sells a donut for lt1 fel pro #61258 so should i need or is it just matched metal to metal, thanks if you can tell me. 92 vette
If your manifolds are "original" there will be NO seal. If they've been replaced then it's possible that there's a seal present. If there's a seal you won't need ZIP, a GM dealer in your area OR the "local" auto parts jobber in the area should be able to help.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a gasket in between the exhaust manifold and the cats? 1992 LT-1

Quick Reply: Is there a gasket in between the exhaust manifold and the cats? 1992 LT-1