C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 Bose Door Speaker Amp replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:21 PM
chris1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1986 Bose Door Speaker Amp replacement question

I have to go into/remove my passenger's side door panel to replace the courtesy light switch and the door ajar switch. That door speaker has recently developed that high pitch whining that changes with engine speed. So far no crackling, but the amp is definitely not working correctly. It will work fine for about 10-15 minutes or so, then start whining, and then I'll have to turn the stereo on and off, and then it works correctly for the next 10-15 minutes or so.

Question is, how complex is it to get it out of the door? When I was down at Carlisle last month, a couple of people said it was kind of a nightmare to get it out, and that you had to remove the mechanism that holds the glass, etc. I figured if it's not too bad of a job once the door panel is already off, I might as well kill 3 birds with one stone.

Also, not sure of the best place to source one from based on pricing, etc. One of the Corvette catalogs recommends replacing them in pairs? Any validity to that? That of course would double the cost and labor for the job since I'd have to do the driver's side as well..........

Thanks in advance, Chris
Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 AM
chris1
Instructor

Originally Posted by chris1
I have to go into/remove my passenger's side door panel to replace the courtesy light switch and the door ajar switch. That door speaker has recently developed that high pitch whining that changes with engine speed. So far no crackling, but the amp is definitely not working correctly. It will work fine for about 10-15 minutes or so, then start whining, and then I'll have to turn the stereo on and off, and then it works correctly for the next 10-15 minutes or so.

Question is, how complex is it to get it out of the door? When I was down at Carlisle last month, a couple of people said it was kind of a nightmare to get it out, and that you had to remove the mechanism that holds the glass, etc. I figured if it's not too bad of a job once the door panel is already off, I might as well kill 3 birds with one stone.

Also, not sure of the best place to source one from based on pricing, etc. One of the Corvette catalogs recommends replacing them in pairs? Any validity to that? That of course would double the cost and labor for the job since I'd have to do the driver's side as well..........

Thanks in advance, Chris

Anyone?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 AM
garryowen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will try an answer;

chris; on my "84" had to completely dissemble every thing in the door, to remove the bose unit.
then it took some turning and working to get it out. it has to come out the large hole to service the window and window mechanism after you remove them.

whether or not you can service it with out, i can't answer.

at best you would need to remove the door trim panel

Last edited by garryowen; 09-24-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: removed mine to install regular speakers
Old 09-24-2013, 01:10 PM
chris1
Instructor

Originally Posted by garryowen
will try an answer;

chris; on my "84" had to completely dissemble every thing in the door, to remove the bose unit.
then it took some turning and working to get it out. it has to come out the large hole to service the window and window mechanism after you remove them.

whether or not you can service it with out, i can't answer.

at best you would need to remove the door trim panel
Garry: Thanks for the reply; I've removed the door panels before, so I know it's no big deal. I'm not in favor of removing the window mechanism/assembly, however I'll wait to see how it looks after I have the door panel off. Maybe they made it a little easier by the late '86 cars......
Old 09-24-2013, 01:21 PM
garryowen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also might be able to service with out removing the whole unit

best wishes to you. perhaps some one with more experience that I can chime in
Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM
chris1
Instructor

Originally Posted by garryowen
also might be able to service with out removing the whole unit

best wishes to you. perhaps some one with more experience that I can chime in
Here's what I found on youtube; that car was a 1989, however I'm hoping my 1986 isn't too different; seems pretty straightforward after the door panel is off.......

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Bose Door Speaker Amp replacement question

Quick Reply: 1986 Bose Door Speaker Amp replacement question