C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Car hesitates when I hit the gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 01:48 PM
daddydahlin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car hesitates when I hit the gas

What could be causing this, When I lift the hood and pull back the throttle I hear the engine suck air then about a tenth later the engine kicks. Also if I just tap the gas pedal the car feels like it is going to die. The car also sometimes spurreds when it first starts and if you hit the gas while it is spurring the car dies. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this before I spend more money taking it to the shop, I just had a new fuel pump put in a month ago. thanks The cars an 86 vette
Old 07-03-2002, 03:37 PM
Rick86
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Car hesitates when I hit the gas (daddydahlin)

My '86 did the samething. Felt like it was running out of gas when accelerating. No codes so I replaced fuel pump, that didn't fix it so I took it to a shop and they hooked it up a diagnostic machine and they said the machine found nothing wrong with the car. Long story short the mechanic disconnected the MAF and test drove car came back and told me to replace the MAF. When you disconnect the MAF it forces the computer into limp home mode. Its worth a try and costs nothing.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:31 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

you change the fuel filter?
Old 07-03-2002, 11:46 PM
6spd89
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

Try removing the air filter(temperary).
Matt
Old 07-04-2002, 12:25 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: Car hesitates when I hit the gas (6spd.89)

Off-idle hesitation tends to be something cheap and easy.

Mine was cured with new plug wires, new plugs, and a new fuel filter. I did all three at the same time, so I don't know which change fixed it.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:30 AM
88'Cubka
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Car hesitates when I hit the gas (Matt Black)

A tech from summit racing was posed this same question while i was standing at their booth during a car event. The guy had an 88 vette so i listened very intently.

The guy had alot of airflow upgrades, k&n, cut airlid, smooth airfilter-throttle body coupler, full exhaust upgrades, larger TB, and a few other piddly things. The tech told him his problem was either related to a spark or fuel delivery. The guy had new coil wires plugs, so the next thing he recommended was to change the fuel filter, and if that didnt fix it goto an adjustable fuel pressure reg. He was guessing the car was just running too lean because of all the airflow upgrades. i dont know whats been done to your car, but its something to think about :)

:cheers:

Milan
Old 07-04-2002, 12:11 PM
daddydahlin
Racer

Default Re: Car hesitates when I hit the gas (88'Cubka)

I put in an open air lid and k&n, not to long ago, I also have flowmaster cat back exhaust and a gutted convertor, The car only has 41,000 miles can the fuel filter already need to be replaced? Thanks
Old 07-04-2002, 06:38 PM
gbody5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely go with the fuel filter first, it's not always the mileage. My car only had about 40 K when I changed mine as part of general maintenance. It does not get driven all that much so the fuel is not always the freshest and it will breakdown due to all the additives. Also, if you run it low just one time you can pick up all kinds of crap from the bottom of the tank and clog up a filter in a hurry.

My car was not really running bad before the filter change and since I did it along with a whoe bunch of other mods like new injectors, etc. I don't know if it was clogged, but it cannot hurt.

If that does not take care of it, I would check the fuel pressure next, then look at the ignition and possibly the EGR.

Get notified of new replies

To Car hesitates when I hit the gas

Quick Reply: Car hesitates when I hit the gas