C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New guy with an l98 in a jaguar and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM
randal07
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with an l98 in a jaguar and some questions

My name is randal, I'm new to corvette engines and have some questions. My dad and I recently purchased a 1985 jaguar xj6 that has a tpi 350 conversion from a corvette. We bought the car for $500 with the engine not running, the former owner said he parked the car 10 years ago. The story goes that it started smoking severly so he pulled the heads and had Tim Wilkerson's machine shop completely rebuild them, well after installing the heads he didn't have any oil pressure so he left it parked. We went to look at the car and after talking with the owner he said that he had installed the distributor with everything unplugged and turned the engine over to try to get oil pressure but didn't see any so he stopped. We had the car towed home and I pulled the distributor, put a drill to the pump drive and oil pressure climbed to between 35 and 40 psi. I put the distributor back in, set the timing, flushed the fuel system, and changed the oil and filter and the engine fired instantly with no issues or odd sounds. We drove the car for about a week before it randomly started knocking, smoking and then died. We had it towed home and I tried to bar the engine over by the crank, it turned a couple times and then came to a stop as if the piston had hit a valve. Now time for the questions, how do I identify what year of car this engine came out of? I looked for numbers on the back of the block and all it shows is GM 5.7L. What kind of heads are on the engine? I looked for numbers and couldn't find any that match up and they're aluminum heads. We will be doing a mild rebuild on this engine and I would like to keep the TPI so where is a good place to get performance parts for this engine like a better cam and maybe bigger injectors and programming. I would really like some background info on this engine as far as what type of cam is in it, what are the common fail points, what is a realistic daily driver HP goal. Thanks for any help guys.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The last 8 characters of original vin should be stamped on pad right front of engine block. OEM heads should have casting numbers on top of head under valve covers.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If that's the factory Corvette AC compressor Harrison R4 the engine is probably a 86 or 87. In 88 they used a Nippondenso compressor.

If you have the cold start fuel injector (9th injector) the engine is an 88 or older. Starting in 88 they used the 113 heads.
Casting number 10088113. Exhaust ports shaped like the letter D.

86-87 aluminum heads were the 128 casting.

Can't be a 85 because they used iron heads.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 10-08-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

In this .pdf most all Corvette engines are identified by the stamping information that will be found on the right side of engine block front of cylinder head. It will generally be followed by 6 or 7 - digits of the VIN which in your case is going to be irrelevant. Is this list complete? Have no idea but it's been helpful. It includes information only through '93 but you're only interested likely in '86 or later information. If the heads were added to an earlier or later block that will require additional information but this should get you started:

http://www.corvettecenterusa.com/Cor...ne%20Codes.pdf

Here's an example of what you're looking for BUT it might not be Corvette but it's got the correct format that you could expect:

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-08-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 PM
DHobbs
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
If that's the factory Corvette AC compressor Harrison R4 the engine is probably a 86 or 87. In 88 they used a Nippondenso compressor.

If you have the cold start fuel injector (9th injector) the engine is an 88 or older. Starting in 88 they used the 113 heads.
Casting number 10088113. Exhaust ports shaped like the letter D.

86-87 aluminum heads were the 128 casting.

Can't be a 85 because they used iron heads.
+ centerbolt

I just want to say those Jags are sweet! and one with a 350....
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM
randal07
6th Gear

Thanks for the help guys, i found that the block is from an 87 vette. I still havent ran the numbers from the heads yet but i will do that shortly, for now im assuming they are stock so what can you guys tell me about the stock heads as far as how well they flow and whatever else you can think of?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by randal07
T what can you guys tell me about the stock heads as far as how well they flow and whatever else you can think of?
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/vader86/113heads.html
Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations on your newly acquired vehicle (money pit). The 87 model year came with the most famous cam of the TPI years. The 14093643 is documented as being used in 87 only with .050 duration of 202 / 205 / .403 / .415 lift on a 115 LSA. This cam responds well to a 1.6:1 roller rocker giving it a slight increase in lift, and duration. www.jagsthatrun.com got started by specializing in these conversions, and I've helped tune a few over the years. I don't see a mass air flow sensor, so most likely it was converted to speed density during the swap. Most likely will have a 1227730 ECM and is most similar to 90 through 92 Camaro.

When people talk about "are the heads good" my answer would be that they are perfectly matched for the factory TPI intake design to maximize low to midrange power. Some people seek maximum HP at the top end and fail to realize they actually lose power in the lower ranges at the sacrifice of maximum HP. As a daily driver the TPI is an awesome swap. Good luck on getting it running.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:45 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Don't assume anything about it. You can confirm when you disassemble BUT what you need to do is get the information from the ECM that the car DID run from and that information can be confirmed for you and you could then proceed and confirm the engine sensors etc. Don't assume a thing - put your hands on the ECM and let's see what's there. What's visually "unseen" has absolutely nothing to do with what needs to be ID'd.

It would of course be good if the labels were still on the ECM and maybe the PROM could be identified for you from information on it. Actually if the PROM ID was still able to be confirmed that could serve as a further ID of the "source".
Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

The ecm will most likely be found under one of the front seats. Let us know what you find?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:28 PM
randal07
6th Gear

All I found on the ecm was a sticker that says " howell engine developments". As far as the MAF goes, it has been converted to MAP. I checked the heads and found 2 different numbers, 6177 and 14101128 with F2 above it.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

http://www.castingnumbers.info/site/...nder_Heads/p/8

Does the ecm have 3 (one is yellow), or 4 plugs going into it?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:02 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by randal07
All I found on the ecm was a sticker that says " howell engine developments". As far as the MAF goes, it has been converted to MAP. I checked the heads and found 2 different numbers, 6177 and 14101128 with F2 above it.
Howell Engine Development did/does some very nice packages and you want to direct all your inquiries towards them. The harness for the engine, ECM and package was likely theirs in a complete install procedure.

I would start with a call to them and there are maybe identification procedures that can be used to reference your particular build. They may actually have a record by name for the package. First class folks.

Harness and ECM packages are all referenced here:

http://howellefi.com/
Old 10-12-2013, 01:21 AM
randal07
6th Gear

Thanks for the information and links guys, you have all been more than helpful

Get notified of new replies

To New guy with an l98 in a jaguar and some questions

Quick Reply: New guy with an l98 in a jaguar and some questions