C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which to get? 2 or 3 way for a converter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 01:11 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Which to get? 2 or 3 way for a converter?

I have noticed that a lot of people have changed their later model C4Ős *(the ones with Pre-Cats) to the Y Pipe without pre-cats...

My question is did you go with a main 2 way cat or 3 way?

Iam going to a high-flow one...and am wondering what is the difference as far as performance of the 2-way one vs. the 3-way one. Obviously the 3-way is designed to be used if you are indeed removing the pre-cats....

so....which should I be getting.....Iam looking to get the most performance and sound out of this new system...

Jeff
Old 07-05-2002, 03:15 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Which to get? 2 or 3 way for a converter? (XtremeVette)

If you want performance go with no cat.

If you have to pass emissions you want a 3 way cat (two sections). First section does NOx, second section does HC/CO (why the AIR tube in the middle of the cat).
Old 07-05-2002, 04:02 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Re: Which to get? 2 or 3 way for a converter? (PeteL)

If you want performance go with no cat.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:00 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Which to get? 2 or 3 way for a converter? (XtremeVette)

Need to add to my post:

The 3-way cat is not specifically for the elimination of the pup-cats. It is simply what is required for some systems to scrub the exhaust.

Some engines / control systems will pruduce much less NOx then others. Tons of mis-information about this. For example an LT4 has valve timing that introduces exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber, it does not need an egr valve and uses a two way cat.

The L98 system requires an egr valve and further help for NOx reduction in the cat converter. The pup cats do not reduce NOx (as I first thought), they are only useful in EPA tests as they heat up faster and reduce HC/CO sooner (maybe only HC). Once the main cat "lights up" it will work fine, just takes longer.

"Two way" cat is HC/CO. "Three way" cat is NOx, HC and CO. You need a three way cat on an L98 with stock valve timing, stock programming, and stock compression.

Why is there an AIR tube on a three way cat? Good question. Because NOx is better reduced w/o any oxygen. The stock system running correctly will allow very little O2 into the exhaust gas, so NOx is first stage in a three way cat. Now HC and CO are better controlled with the presence of O2 to help in the reaction and raise heat, so air is introduced in to the second half of a three way cat to aid in the control of HC and CO.

That's the rest of the story, as I know you didn't believe me.

Get notified of new replies

To Which to get? 2 or 3 way for a converter?

Quick Reply: Which to get? 2 or 3 way for a converter?