C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Is this fan control possible 1985 stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:12 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Default Is this fan control possible 1985 stock

Hi there and thanks in advance. I had the idea that if I changed the manual temp sensor(pass side) that my main fan would turn on at 214.
My mistake because I have my little loud aux fan kicking on at 214 now and I thought it was my main fan. My main fan still is at 227 of course it is controlled by ecm. Here is the question can I simply switch wires to the fan to have the manual control the main and the ecm can turn on the aux. How would I do that? Would it hurt anything? If I take the ground from the main and rerout it to the manual sensor, then take the manual sensor and run it to the ground to the ecm (where I cut the main ground) or should I just put a new toggle.
Edit. Mabey just switch respective plugs on the fans?

Last edited by xrav22; 10-22-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

what's the matter leaving it stock?
Old 10-22-2013, 03:25 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

We can only assume that you are trying to control a heating concern.
If so, what are the temps you are running? With proper air flow and
coolant flow, you should not overheat.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM
xrav22
Drifting

My reason is that usually by the time I go to park it is always 227-230(with main fan on) degrees then after it goes up adding pressure to the old systems. It just seems to be better if i shut it off at 215 then it's not creaking and the temp really only goes up to 220 ish. I don't have the tools to program the eprom and I would like to just take some of the heat away in drive thrus ect.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:46 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It sounds like you have a problem in the cooling system if the observed temps are that high. Starting the fan at a lower temp is doing nothing but masking the original problem. It's not a solution.

When was the last time a cooling system service was done? How old is the thermostat? Are the upper and lower radiator hoses in good condition? Is the cooling system full and no air pockets?

Is the radiator and A/C condenser clean with no buildup of dirt and debris?

Any or all of these things can result in higher than normal coolant temps.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
It sounds like you have a problem in the cooling system if the observed temps are that high. Starting the fan at a lower temp is doing nothing but masking the original problem. It's not a solution.

When was the last time a cooling system service was done? How old is the thermostat? Are the upper and lower radiator hoses in good condition? Is the cooling system full and no air pockets?

Is the radiator and A/C condenser clean with no buildup of dirt and debris?

Any or all of these things can result in higher than normal coolant temps.
you can get a two way switch at any parts store...16 bucks at ecklers...they are simple and work great. ..keeps my 85 190 in traffic in s florida...but....mine never ran that hot before I installed the switch.. you have to look for the issue.....the switch won't help as c4 cruiser says....
Old 10-22-2013, 04:51 PM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by playsdixie
you can get a two way switch at any parts store...16 bucks at ecklers...they are simple and work great. ..keeps my 85 190 in traffic in s florida...but....mine never ran that hot before I installed the switch.. you have to look for the issue.....the switch won't help as c4 cruiser says....

I have the lower temp switch to turn my aux fan on at 190 in my 85. My main fan works and comes on at 227 but it hardly ever gets up that high, even idling in traffic. I'm also running a 180 thermostat. Make sure your radiator is clear and the coolant is flowing properly. You could have a water pump issue and not realize it either, just because it doesn't leak, doesn't mean its doing its job.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:19 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xrav22
can I simply switch wires to the fan to have the manual control the main and the ecm can turn on the aux.
Simplest way, is to run a wire between the relay control terminals ( gr / wht wire ) on the relays
Switch will turn both fans on , if switch fails the ECM will still turn them both on at the higher temp .
There are other options , like you suggest but more wiring work
Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Ok thanks for the opinions. I was driving today and it never really went over 210 in town
and it was 185 on the freeway. The little fan kicked on just as I was pulling in.
I have a 180 thermostat and just flushed the fluid with oil cooler hose change/ radiator drain. I am going to clean out any debris and clean the radiator and related items,cheers
Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by xrav22
Ok thanks for the opinions. I was driving today and it never really went over 210 in town
and it was 185 on the freeway. The little fan kicked on just as I was pulling in.
I have a 180 thermostat and just flushed the fluid with oil cooler hose change/ radiator drain. I am going to clean out any debris and clean the radiator and related items,cheers
best to take the radiator out because chances are it looks like this.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this fan control possible 1985 stock

Quick Reply: Is this fan control possible 1985 stock