C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1 Bloody Squeak Driving me mad...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 07:23 PM
TAC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1 Bloody Squeak Driving me mad...

I have only one squeak/rattle in the car. It's in the dash...where the top of the dash meets the panel w/the heating/AC vents and is centered equal distance between right and left. In other words, the squeak is directly above the inner two vents on the center dash...where the top of the dash meets that mounting face for the vents. If I press down right there or lift up slightly the squeak goes away. The squeak is NOT from the hood, I tried opening the hood and it doesn't go away. Only when I press down on the top of the dash does it go away.

Has anyone fixed this squeak and is it a big deal? I figured I would ask before I get myself into a mess. Thanks.

'87 w/Darth Vader dash.

[Modified by TAC, 3:24 PM 7/5/2002]
Old 07-05-2002, 07:25 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Where in relation to the front of the dash pad and windshield do you have to press to make it go away? Perhaps some felt glued to the bottom fo the dash pad?
Old 07-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: 1 Bloody Squeak Driving me mad... (TAC)

I have something up under the car at the front driver side near wheel that only intermitently rattles if driving on pretty rough road surface. I have been underneath the car with flashlight and cannot find anything loose, nothing in the wheel well either (brake lines etc.). Total mystery. And very annoying when it rattles... so I kind of know how you feel, kind of...

[Modified by Lone Ranger, 5:28 PM 7/5/2002]
Old 07-05-2002, 07:43 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the easy one!

Remove the dash panels and you will find two screws that hold the dash pad to the frame; right there in the center where your are hearing it.

Remove screws and put some of that sticky felt pad under there, install screws. You may even find one screw missing or both missing.

If the screws have pulled through the frame you need large plastic washers, found some in an electronic store and colored black with a marker.

No more squeak!

Now, what is the squeek behind the bread-loaf? I need to find that, it's my last one.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:24 AM
cshuman
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a squeak that I thought was coming from under the dash but found out it was the hood. On the outside of the car with the hood closed go to each corner and push down on the hood over the pin area that locks the hood down. If there is any slack or movement then the rubber stops directly under that area need to be adjusted up. I found that mine were out of adustment. When I adjusted them till the play was gone my noise stopped. You want to just get the play out, if you get it to high the hood want close.
Old 07-06-2002, 06:38 PM
kabnvtt
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 1 Bloody Squeak Driving me mad... (cshuman)

This might be in a different spot but I had a couple of squeaks in my center cluster and could not get rid of them untill I had my wife drive down a fairly bumpy road and went to each screw while driving and tightened or loosned untill it stoped. Still squeak free and happy :cheers:

[Modified by kabnvtt, 12:04 AM 7/7/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 09:11 PM
TAC
Drifting

Default Re: (scorp508)

Where in relation to the front of the dash pad and windshield do you have to press to make it go away? Perhaps some felt glued to the bottom fo the dash pad?
I push down at the very front of the dash pad...furthest from the windshield. A very mild push down or press up at that point loses the squeak. I see what looks like foam between the dash pad and the dash faceplate already. Is there typically foam there? I guess I can add more, or maybe some felt.

Also...I need to take off the passenger front wheel well cover to replace my w/wash bottle. The VERY bottom screw has a flat round head, not like all the other wheel well Torx screws. The driver side has the same flat screw. I thought this was a Torx screw as well and bought a set of bits but none of them fit...they're either too small or too big. The other normal screws with a big head take a T-25 but the thin flat one doesn't take any of the ones I have...T-8,T-10,T-15 and T-20. Do you by any chance know the exact size to fit that screw?
Old 07-06-2002, 09:33 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: (TAC)

The fix above will correct this.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:41 PM
TAC
Drifting

Default Re: (PeteL)

The fix above will correct this.
Thank you very much. That did indeed fix it. Quiet as a mouse for now... :jester
Old 07-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: (PeteL)

That bottom attachment is probably a rivit. There was some discussion about that yesterday, but can't recall where? :confused:
Old 07-14-2002, 09:31 PM
TAC
Drifting

Default Re: (lou sylvestri)

CAC probably. I asked over there 'cause I didn't get help on that over here. It is indeed a rivet on both sides. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To 1 Bloody Squeak Driving me mad...

Quick Reply: 1 Bloody Squeak Driving me mad...