C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

new to the C-4's but have a question

Old 10-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Jig A Low
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to the C-4's but have a question

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this set of boards, I hang out on the C-3's primarily as I have an '81 resto-mod that I've been working on for about a year now. anyhow.....

I have the oportunity to pick up what looks like a really nice '85, it only has 48,000 original miles on it and the pictures look like that's a true milage, it's in VERY GOOD condition. the only issue that the owner has mentioned is the power antenna doesn't work right all the time (not a biggie). my question is....

what are some of the problem areas that I should be concerned about with this car. it's coming from up north a bit so I know that rust may be an issue but I'm not familiar with these cars (YET) so any advice you can offer would be great.

also, it has a fairly new paint job on it (factory color) due to a "known Primer issue" from the factory, does anyone know anything about that??

thanks a ton. hopefully I'll be in here alot more if the deal works out.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never heard of a primer issue before. But if the paint is good that is what matters.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It was mostly like delamination of clearcoat. There was a TSB and "Special Policy" for 84-87 model years however it was a widespread problem into the mid 90's. Wasn't as common with european cars. Essentially it is where the clear paint flakes or peels off color coat. The procedure was to strip and repaint car. This "Special Policy" expired well over 10 yrs ago so it unlikely GM is going re-start painting roughly 20 year old cars.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:49 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,015 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I'd guess either the clear is coming off or the flexpaint cracked up on the nose and rear.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

one problem is that they LOVE your hard earned dollars
Old 10-23-2013, 06:23 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The C4 was engineered so that it does not rust as bad as the C3s. The C3s had rust problems with the windshield frame, bird cage and the rear kick up areas.
The C4's frame had extensive galvanizing so did not have this problem. I recently had the windshield replaced on my 111,000 mile 91. The tech showed me where water typically works its way under the upper windshield trim but mine only had a small amount of surface corrosion that wiped off easily with a WD-40'd rag.
There can be rusty brake and fuel lines but the frames are usually in good shape.
Be sure to check the weatherstripping to see if it has deteriorated and check that all the electronics work properly. Most of the parts that break or wear out on the C4s can be found at the usual Corvette suppliers (Corvette Central, Mid America, Ecklers) and the Corvette recyclers (www.vette2vette.com, www.contemporarycorvette.com).
Problem areas are headlight motors and the Bose stereo and speakers.
Not a bad idea to check the age of the tires too. They are date coded and most advise replacing them if they are more than ten years old.
If you buy it then be sure to flush and fill all the fluids and install new filters.
Good luck and we will need pics if you buy it!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 AM
wackyrob
7th Gear

If it has the climate control for the ac/heat, be a bit cautious. I also bought a vette with low mileage (54k) and its giving me lots of issues due to it sitting (probably neglected) for a long time. Has it sat for a while? Cuz i can tell you some things to check if it has.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Jig A Low
Pro

I'm not sure if it has sat for long periods of time or if it just doesn't get driven but a few miles frequently. I'd be willing to be it's that is just sits due to the owner having back issues and it's uncomfortable for them to drive. I have no doubt that there will be some work that needs to happen, but, as long as I can drive it while I'm fixing it's ok with me. I know it's quite a bit older than my 'Stang but, hey, IT'S A VETTE

please pass along any helpful insight you might have. we're going this weekend to look and possibly complete the deal, we are meeting about half way so the car will have been driven a couple hundred miles before we see it, so if there are any big issues they should be evident.

Get notified of new replies

To new to the C-4's but have a question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new to the C-4's but have a question