C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dana 36 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Jeffgorden24
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dana 36 Questions

I have an 89 vert auto with a Dana 36 2:59 ratio. This car is a daily driver never raced. Can I change up to 3:54 ratio using my current rear end. If this can be done who would recommend do this job. Thanks for advise.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Yours could certainly be built and all of the Dana 3.54 & 3.73 gear kits that are available today I believe are "thick" ring gears and require the 2 series carrier. I would consider doing it this way because it would limit your down time and you could do it at your leisure.

Buy another 2.59/2.73 differential from someone that has removed it for either a D44 or a D36 with a 3.07. There should be many of those is "the shed" I'd think. You buy the gear kit, the bearing & seal package, a clutch pack, build that one and when it's built you swap it. I would think this time of year "Christmas" there's many available for cheap!

You don't tie up either your garage or a mechanics shop and there should be much less aggravation. You would have your old 2.59 either for a sale or keep for a change later in life or for the sale of the car.

I don't have a 2 series carrier but I have a D36 housing - I do have a 3.75 Richmond D36 with fresh bearings and seals, the ring and pinion are "NEW" - it's complete with short axles.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 PM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

In my 1990 (auto) I went from 2:73 to 3:54. Note...for accurate speedo you will have to change the plastic drive gear to 15T and driven gear to 43T and you will need a VSS from a 3:o7 but used as they are not available to buy new. You have a 34-39 VSS now and need a 40-45 VSS now to be accurate (40-45 stamped on VSS). The 3:54's are nice and not radical. What I did not do was change the chip for 3:54 from the 2:73 and the "shift lite" will come on at approx. 50 mph but letting off the gas or increasing speed will shut it off. I plan to pull the dash and pull the lite bulb when I get very annoyed with the lite but have not so far. No damage with lite on at times; just can be annoying.
Bill
Old 10-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Jeffgorden24
Advanced

Thanks for the info I might be interested in 3.75 Richmond D36 PM with price Thanks
Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Yours could certainly be built and all of the Dana 3.54 & 3.73 gear kits that are available today I believe are "thick" ring gears and require the 2 series carrier. I would consider doing it this way because it would limit your down time and you could do it at your leisure.

Buy another 2.59/2.73 differential from someone that has removed it for either a D44 or a D36 with a 3.07. There should be many of those is "the shed" I'd think. You buy the gear kit, the bearing & seal package, a clutch pack, build that one and when it's built you swap it. I would think this time of year "Christmas" there's many available for cheap!

You don't tie up either your garage or a mechanics shop and there should be much less aggravation. You would have your old 2.59 either for a sale or keep for a change later in life or for the sale of the car.

I don't have a 2 series carrier but I have a D36 housing - I do have a 3.75 Richmond D36 with fresh bearings and seals, the ring and pinion are "NEW" - it's complete with short axles.

Get notified of new replies

To Dana 36 Questions

Quick Reply: Dana 36 Questions