C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Body filler for an 85

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM
sturmmorser2000
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Body filler for an 85

The PO drilled small holes all around the car about 12 of them that are 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. What is the best body filler I can get to fill em in and sand it smooth? Theres also a split place beside the right tailpipes about 2 to 3 inches long.Its just split from the edge of the fiberglass to the inside.If you bend them together they line up could I use the filler to repair that
?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not think that I would use a filler only to fill the holes. The 1/4" ones ...maybe...but that is pushing it....and I would have to do a "trick" with fiberglass mat in order to do it. The 1/2' holes I would have to laminate...if I were doing it "right"...and having to guarantee it.

I would use WEST SYSTEMS epoxy resin and fiberglass mat. When that was applied correctly over a properly prepped surface and cured...I would then grind it down and then apply Vette Panel Adhesive over the laminated areas.

Is your rear bumper and aftermarket fiberglass bumper or is it a factory urethane????

DUB
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM
sturmmorser2000
Instructor

its the original bumper
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

DUB is right on here. I had a hole in my hood when i bought it, a trailer hitch backed
over it i think. That stuff works. Urethane bumper repair kit, mixes and sticks like epoxy
but stays flexy. Mine needed 2 kits.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Bridges77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would they drill holes in the body? I would just fill them and call it good...or take it somewhere and have them violate you. Only you know whats under the paint.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by sturmmorser2000
its the original bumper
Original urethane requires a special adhesive to repair...along with specific prepping procedures. Make sure you DO NOT wipe any exposed raw urethane with a solvent. I use water based cleaners. Solvents can attack the urethane and make it swell and possible impair the specific adhesive from bonding. I do not even wipe the raw bumper down with the wax and grease remover I use on primer and paint. I use a water based product...and mentioned above.

Originally Posted by Bridges77
Why would they drill holes in the body? I would just fill them and call it good....
Though I defend your right to "FREEDOM OF SPEECH"....this also gives me the FREEDOM to comment back.

I disagree with your comment.

1.) As for..."just fill them" is NOT how they should be filled. If you feel that is the way to do it...( IN MY OPINION)... YOU just "violated" your car. BECAUSE I have repaired so many repairs done the EXACT WAY you described...and I can see where the holes are located. 1/2" holes are quite large...and should be laminated for the long term best result.

or take it somewhere and have them violate you. Only you know whats under the paint.
I take GREAT offense in this broad comment. Everybody who does Corvette repair DOES NOT ALWAYS "violate" people.

I NEVER "violate" a customer in any way when I do repairs for them. THAT JUST DOES NOT HAPPEN!!! NEVER HAVE---NEVER WILL.

Just to set the "record" straight...because if I did not comment...I would be accepting it...which I do not do at all.

DUB
Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Bridges77
Intermediate

Wow, I hope you feel better now. Sorry to upset you with my comment, wipe your tears and move on.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my experiences working on SMC panels I would not utilize West Systems epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth on any repairs. You are dealing with 2 completely different animals on these technologies. There are (and have been for a while now) repair compounds out there specifically designed for use with the modern SMC panels found on these cars. 3M can hook you up with all you need. Shoot me a PM and I will outline how we would perform said repair. Just my .02
Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM
sturmmorser2000
Instructor

How about this stuff
Fibreglass Evercoat 633 Fiber Tech Reinforced Repair Compound - 24 oz. Tube : Amazon.com : Automotive Fibreglass Evercoat 633 Fiber Tech Reinforced Repair Compound - 24 oz. Tube : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 10-31-2013, 09:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Wow, I hope you feel better now. Sorry to upset you with my comment, wipe your tears and move on.
Please....you MUST BE KIDDING ...RIGHT. Like you have what it takes to effect ME. I do not think so. I am amazed in what I read and have to respond to. So read your quoted comment...it actually applies to you.

You can if you choose. The choice is yours.

AS for the WEST SYSTEMS epoxy resin. I personally/professionally NEVER had any issue with delamination. Actually when parts have been laminated in tests. And I try to break them...the laminated area will not delaminate, shear off or any problem that gives me any concern. I have been using it for years...which in actuality does not mean squat...because some may do a lamination or prep different than I...which can cause for a result that might be less favorable.

But...to each his/her own.

DUB
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 PM
bassackwards
Pro

What a ******** comment. I predict you will be gone soon
Old 11-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be frank in reading Bridges77 response that in no way mentioned DUB I was a little taken aback by DUB's response. I don't have a side here but I can say that over the years the body shop guys and the custom paint shops have done a terrific job of ruining their credibility. Much like the racing engine shops of old that did the same to their reputations, many people have been gouged, had corners cut, and received outcomes much less than promised...

With that said I do very good, quality work utilizing only the finest repair materials available and always follow the P Sheet to the letter. I'm sure DUB does as well but the average consumer has never experienced this....so Bridfes77 comment is one that I have come to expect to hear since when most people speak from experience....this industry has given a lot of bad experiences. Just my .02
Old 11-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Bridges77
Intermediate

Funny...I was just giving my 2 cents and this guy flipped out, must have hit a nerve. So sorry fellaz for all the drama.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:18 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bassackwards
What a ******** comment. I predict you will be gone soon
Dumb comment that was in no way helpful to the OP. I have found similar repairs that were done to my 85. Slapping some bondo on and calling it good only creates bigger problems to fix right. DUB was right on!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:59 AM
sturmmorser2000
Instructor

I ordered the evercoat fibertech compound.I hope to get her painted around the end of the year.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:38 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

sorry , I have to say something.. the comment wasn't helpful but it was hilarious!!!! can't we all lighten up a bit. ?????
Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by sturmmorser2000
I ordered the evercoat fibertech compound.I hope to get her painted around the end of the year.
You can use a thin layer of fiberglass mat with this product to aid in holding it together so it will not fall into the 1/2" hole. I would not use the 1 1/2 mat by itself...I would "filet" it so the product you are going to use will easily saturate it...thus reducing the chance of air bubbles.

If I were to do it this way...I would lay some of the fibertech down on my mixing board after it has been mixed and catalyzed...then I would lay a 'filleted" piece of the fiberglass mat on top of it. I would then apply some more of the fibertech on top of this ...working it into the fiberglass mat. The I would peel it off the mixing board with the edge of my spreader and apply it on the body and work in down well onto the surface.

Just make sure you have prepped the holes so the bevel/taper inwards. If you are concerned about the material falling into the hole. Stop at one application and let it harden...then prep it again and this way you now have a solid surface to perform your "magic"....without the fear of everything falling into the hole.

Originally Posted by Deakins
To be frank in reading Bridges77 response that in no way mentioned DUB I was a little taken aback by DUB's response. I don't have a side here but I can say that over the years the body shop guys and the custom paint shops have done a terrific job of ruining their credibility. Much like the racing engine shops of old that did the same to their reputations, many people have been gouged, had corners cut, and received outcomes much less than promised...

With that said I do very good, quality work utilizing only the finest repair materials available and always follow the P Sheet to the letter. I'm sure DUB does as well but the average consumer has never experienced this....so Bridfes77 comment is one that I have come to expect to hear since when most people speak from experience....this industry has given a lot of bad experiences. Just my .02
Deakins:

I replied the way I did due to so many people HAVE BEEN ripped off, hood-winked and whatever when body and paint work have been paid for...and then in the future it all falls apart and they do not get good service. If "Bridges77" got ripped off...I really HATE to hear about that. It really does SUCK! But his comment using "violate" did hit a nerve...and I am only defending myself...regardless if it was directly intended for me. I am defending my profession. BECAUSE if I did not reply...just being silent...then many of those people who actually know me and might have read this post...knowing that I was involved in it in some way...would wonder why I did not comment ...because they actually KNOW ME...and know how I fell about what I do.

And trust me...I was no where near "flipping out". Not even close. But some people need to understand that ALL body and paint guys are NOT BAD. And "Deakins" hit the "nail on the head"....in a round about way....but I read it in a good way. People who are artistically talented (custom painters for example) are NOT cut from the same cloth as some others. And yes...I KNOW I am different...I will admit it all day long. I am really "whacked in the head" when it comes to doing body and paint work where my attention to detail is PAST the obsessive side. So when a "generalized" comment is made in what I do...right behind my post...I react as I feel I need to.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Body filler for an 85

Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
You can use a thin layer of fiberglass mat with this product to aid in holding it together so it will not fall into the 1/2" hole. I would not use the 1 1/2 mat by itself...I would "filet" it so the product you are going to use will easily saturate it...thus reducing the chance of air bubbles.

If I were to do it this way...I would lay some of the fibertech down on my mixing board after it has been mixed and catalyzed...then I would lay a 'filleted" piece of the fiberglass mat on top of it. I would then apply some more of the fibertech on top of this ...working it into the fiberglass mat. The I would peel it off the mixing board with the edge of my spreader and apply it on the body and work in down well onto the surface.

Just make sure you have prepped the holes so the bevel/taper inwards. If you are concerned about the material falling into the hole. Stop at one application and let it harden...then prep it again and this way you now have a solid surface to perform your "magic"....without the fear of everything falling into the hole.
DUB
This is helpful advice. I have a place on the front of a rear quarter where a genius used bondo to fill what must be a 1/2" - 1" damaged area. I removed the rear wheel skirt and found about a pound of bondo that was applied from the outside and ran down the inside of the panel. The repair was pitiful and showed. I will be using this advice from DUB to repair the damage correctly. Thanks DUB!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 PM
drjimmy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would they drill holes in the body?
They are called speed holes. They make your car go faster.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by drjimmy
They are called speed holes. They make your car go faster.
amazing what you can learn here...that is really good......can you be more specific? i'm assuming aerodynamic stuff??

Quick Reply: Body filler for an 85