C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Yet another PKE issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 02:56 PM
bscot968
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Yet another PKE issue

Some time ago, I believe my keys and fob were stolen to my ‘96 LT4 coupe. I’ve had new keys made and bought a fob from another CF member (thank you Joseph!). But I’ve hit a snag trying to program the PKE to the new FOB. My Vette has, unfortunately, sat for well over a year and a half with a dead battery. I do not remember if the PKE was on or off when I garaged it, but it is inaccessible now. I’ve tried to program the PKE to the FOB, as I’ve done many times before, using the DIC. When I turn the ignition on, the PKE does not illuminate on the DIC. So when I use the reprogramming procedure, nothing happens. Have I caused a problem letting the car set so long with the dead battery? Was the PKE off when I parked it and it won’t allow me to reprogram? I’m stuck and could use some help. I’ve extensive experience with the later gen C4’s so I’m very perplexed. HELP! I want to drive my baby again!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:45 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bscot968
Some time ago, I believe my keys and fob were stolen to my ‘96 LT4 coupe. I’ve had new keys made and bought a fob from another CF member (thank you Joseph!). But I’ve hit a snag trying to program the PKE to the new FOB. My Vette has, unfortunately, sat for well over a year and a half with a dead battery. I do not remember if the PKE was on or off when I garaged it, but it is inaccessible now. I’ve tried to program the PKE to the FOB, as I’ve done many times before, using the DIC. When I turn the ignition on, the PKE does not illuminate on the DIC. So when I use the reprogramming procedure, nothing happens. Have I caused a problem letting the car set so long with the dead battery? Was the PKE off when I parked it and it won’t allow me to reprogram? I’m stuck and could use some help. I’ve extensive experience with the later gen C4’s so I’m very perplexed. HELP! I want to drive my baby again!
You are assuming incorrectly about cause of your problem. It is not needed that the PKE illuminates when you turn the key on. What happens at each step of the PKE programming procedure? Fuses 26, 40 and 42?

If your keys were stolen, how did you get new keys created?
Also, how does this prevent you from driving the car?

Last edited by markKlein; 04-08-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:05 PM
bscot968
Intermediate

Default markKlein

Originally Posted by markKlein
You are assuming incorrectly about cause of your problem. It is not needed that the PKE illuminates when you turn the key on. What happens at each step of the PKE programming procedure? Fuses 26, 40 and 42?

If your keys were stolen, how did you get new keys created?
Also, how does this prevent you from driving the car?
No, it does not actually prevent me from driving my car. I just do not like to drive it with, what I consider to be, an important part of the car not functioning.
I had new keys made by ordering the correct VATs key blank then using my vehicles key code to have it ground by a keysmith.
And yes, the fuses are all fine. I would not post for help without checking basics like fuses and batteries.
During the programming procedure, the PKE will normally light then blink. Mine will not light at all. I don’t remember if the PKE normally illuminated for a moment when off. It would help if someone would check this on a functioning car, how it lights on the DIC with the PKE on and off.
Not sure what incorrect assumption you think I am making. I’ve programmed FOBs to C4’s before and not encountered this issue. Some helpful info and solutions would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:41 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

No, it does not actually prevent me from driving my car. I just do not like to drive it with, what I consider to be, an important part of the car not functioning.
I had new keys made by ordering the correct VATs key blank then using my vehicles key code to have it ground by a keysmith.
And yes, the fuses are all fine. I would not post for help without checking basics like fuses and batteries.
During the programming procedure, the PKE will normally light then blink. Mine will not light at all. I don’t remember if the PKE normally illuminated for a moment when off. It would help if someone would check this on a functioning car, how it lights on the DIC with the PKE on and off.
Not sure what incorrect assumption you think I am making. I’ve programmed FOBs to C4’s before and not encountered this issue. Some helpful info and solutions would be appreciated.
The assumption is that the light not coming on when you turn the key on indicates a problem. That just mean the system is turned off. And yes you can program fobs when the system is off.

Sorry for suggesting obvious things, I have no way of knowing what you know and don't know. The most frequent complaint about PKE is " I did everything right and it doesn't work". Most of the time they didn't do everything right, or else don't know how it is supposed to work. So I see a few possibilities; maybe the ignition switch is worn and not indicating the key is present when you turn the key OFF (leaving it in the cylinder), do you get the door open chime with the key in but in the OFF position? Perhaps the bulb is just out, perhaps the PKE module has gone bad, perhaps there is a problem with the ODO or FUEL button.

I attached something that might help:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Pull PKE codes.doc (171.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by markKlein; 04-09-2020 at 07:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bscot968 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:21 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Yes start from day 1. I hate this system and mine was going crazy so i replaced the FOB battery with the correct voltage and reprogram ( need service manual) to do correctly I have had my car since new and have dis armed the system once and it was hell reprograming it again and i am a retired Electrical person with some no how.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:27 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

It will not program if there are codes in the CCM system. With dead battery I bet you have codes. Search for clearing codes with a paperclip, clear all codes and try again.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:48 PM
bscot968
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markKlein
The assumption is that the light not coming on when you turn the key on indicates a problem. That just mean the system is turned off. And yes you can program fobs when the system is off.

Sorry for suggesting obvious things, I have no way of knowing what you know and don't know. The most frequent complaint about PKE is " I did everything right and it doesn't work". Most of the time they didn't do everything right, or else don't know how it is supposed to work. So I see a few possibilities; maybe the ignition switch is worn and not indicating the key is present when you turn the key OFF (leaving it in the cylinder), do you get the door open chime with the key in but in the OFF position? Perhaps the bulb is just out, perhaps the PKE module has gone bad, perhaps there is a problem with the ODO or FUEL button.

I attached something that might help:
I’ve not mentioned one thing although I know it may be a possible source. The door chime does not sound when I open the door. I have not mentioned because it has not worked even when the PKE was working with the old FOB. I have had a recent move so I don’t have all of my tools, they are on the other side of the country and I likely won’t have for some time (thanks, Covid19!). I’ll use the paperclip trick to pull any codes(scanner with my tools!). Are there likely areas to investigate, I know a common issue is with connections in steering column?
Old 04-09-2020, 07:10 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

The door chime not working could be a worn ignition switch which would cause the problem as well BUT you need to check the circuit (fuse) that the chime is on. Can you wiggle key and get chime to work? Does interior lights and cigarette lighter work?
Old 04-09-2020, 07:37 PM
bscot968
Intermediate

Originally Posted by corvette95
The door chime not working could be a worn ignition switch which would cause the problem as well BUT you need to check the circuit (fuse) that the chime is on. Can you wiggle key and get chime to work? Does interior lights and cigarette lighter work?
The reason I’ve not addressed the chime issue is that everything else has worked, PKE, lights, cig. lighter, etc. Wiggling the key does not effect anything. I know that there are some other connections in the column, under the steering wheel that often wear out. Are there other areas that should be looked at? I’ll pull the codes, if any, and see what that suggests.

Last edited by bscot968; 04-09-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:12 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

The reason I’ve not addressed the chime issue is that everything else has worked, PKE, lights, cig. lighter, etc. Wiggling the key does not effect anything. I know that there are some other connections in the column, under the steering wheel that often wear out. Are there other areas that should be looked at? I’ll pull the codes, if any, and see what that suggests.
. I thought I asked about that.
If the cylinder is worn and the car doesn't sense it as being in the cylinder you can't perform the programming. Try the programming procedure but when you get to the part where you turn the key off keep your hand on it and push in. That Sometimes works

Last edited by markKlein; 04-10-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another PKE issue

Quick Reply: Yet another PKE issue