C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 05:06 AM
MeanGreenVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc..... Part 1

This project originally started out as a basic cam swap and tune, then I figured, "while we are in there" how about heads? Then an intake seemed like an obvious addition, and then the Mezziere water pump, and of course new pushrods, replace the opti, new timing set, hooker headers, etc, etc... You all know the drill, once you start you just can't stop! Anyway, havent had a chance to dyno the car yet, but we are estimating around 400 flywheel HP (about 360+ RWHP). How does it run? Well lets just say that before it seemed to be out of breath at around 5300 rpm, now it pulls hard and fast right thru to 6500 rpm. Am I happy? Absitively posilutely. (or is it absolutely positively?).

Now the important part... WHO did it all? The heads and intake were done by Chris Polanski of CC Performance Engineering in Wilmington NC now Next Generation Motorsports (LCVETTE1 here on the forum). The heads are stock LT1 fully ported and polished with 2.00/1.6 valves, reshaped & polished combustion chambers, undercut and swirl polished REV valves, the works. Quality workmanship and polished surfaces that you could almost use to shave in the morning by looking at them. The actual engine work and PCM tune were done by Jeff "milkman" Creech of Carolina Auto Masters in Durham NC. Jeff and company have just opened a new shop in Durham complete with dyno. I am a VERY **** person when it comes to my ride, and it was treated with the same TLC at their shop as it would receive in my own garage.

What more can I say? Both these guys are SUPER dudes, both with very solid reputations. Havent heard a single complaint about either, and beleive me I did my homework. I have personally seen street cars that they have each worked on run in the 11's all on motor! They are very customer oriented, VERY honest, and all about making your car run its best. They dont use cookie cutter performance tactics and they dont cut corners. And most importantly - they LISTEN to what you have done, what your future plans include, and what your ultimate goals are. Each job is unique and customer specific. Jeff and Chris are "competitors" in this industry, but in my case they put their heads together (theres a pun in there somewhere, I just know it) and worked with me to accomplish MY goals - A low 12 second car with good street manners. Today is the first day I really got to "drive" it, and so far I am VERY impressed with the results. A fun to drive car with a broad and very smooth powerband. I'll be going to the track and the dyno soon, and will post the results shortly, but so far its everything I was told it would be.

For now I wanted to share with you my experience thus far and to give you some very good options for future performance work.

I'll keep you posted!

[Modified by JConforti, 4:07 AM 7/7/2002]

[Modified by JConforti, 4:09 AM 7/7/2002]

[Modified by JConforti, 12:32 PM 7/7/2002]
Old 07-07-2002, 09:22 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Re: Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc..... Part 1 (JConforti)

Sounds like a great combo. I am starting to research a heads/cam upgrade and I will definately consider these guys for the job. Thanks for the post.

[Modified by STL94LT1, 1:24 PM 7/7/2002]
Old 07-07-2002, 09:28 AM
Alchemist
Race Director

NC Events Coordinator

VERY :cool: !!! Can't wait to see dyno results!!! :D
Old 07-07-2002, 09:57 AM
MBVette
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Im dropping my car off w/ Chris (now Next Generation Motorsports, they changed there name from CC Performance) in September. We will be doing

Stage III heads, Cam, Meziere h20 pump, hooker long tubes.....
We will be hoping to hit somewhere between 380-400 at the wheels.

Chris is a great guy to work with and would encourage anyone that is having work done to check with him, as his prices are very competative.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Ok John, how about the bad news. How much did all this set you back? :)
Old 07-07-2002, 01:27 PM
MeanGreenVette
Instructor

Default Re: Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc..... Part 1 (Ramrod92)

I spent around $4,700.00 total, but that does include a new optispark which you may not need. That was the heads (complete with valves, springs, and titanium retainers), ported intake, timing chain, mezziere water pump, custom cam, lifters, rods, gaskets, headers, PCM tune, new pinion seal (mine was leaking), arp bolts, and all the labor.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:10 PM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

I spent around $4,700.00 total, but that does include a new optispark which you may not need. That was the heads (complete with valves, springs, and titanium retainers), ported intake, timing chain, mezziere water pump, custom cam, lifters, rods, gaskets, headers, PCM tune, new pinion seal (mine was leaking), arp bolts, and all the labor.
:eek: Thats a great deal :cool:

May have to go this route myself next year when I have the money. I really need something around 400rwhp
Old 07-07-2002, 02:21 PM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc..... Part 1 (IcemanZ06)

I have a set of heads from Chris, won't be able to get them on until this winter. Chris is a great guy to do business with.

Iceman, chris has done heads/cam producing over 400 rwhp, give him a call.

Jim
Old 07-07-2002, 02:31 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Does anyone have Chris'(LCVETTE1) phone number or email address?
Old 07-07-2002, 03:23 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I would think you should be making around 450 fwhp. How many CFM do the heads flow? What kind and size of Hookers did you use and are you using cats? How long did it take to complete the work? I am in Greensboro so I may use them in the future.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:18 PM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc..... Part 1 (95wht6spd)

Chris' email address:

Lcvette1@aol.com
Old 07-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Half Fast
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:cheers: :cool:

Very similar to my setup. You should see 360-370RWHP. Your drivetrain losses have increased some with the converter and gear so figure that into the dyno numbers also. Est. 420-430FWHP, so check it out with a wideband dyno and watch your A/F thru the curve. 30lb injectors might be needed. What's the exhaust setup? Hooker LT's into what? :chevy
Old 07-07-2002, 06:32 PM
MeanGreenVette
Instructor

Default Re: Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc..... Part 1 (Half Fast)

OK, timeframe... about 2 weeks total, but Jeff had JUST opened the doors of the new shop and I was basically the first one in. Normally with all the parts in hand, your looking at the better part of a week (in on sunday or monday and back by the weekend).

I am running hooker 1 3/4" primary short tubes and no cats. I know, I know I NEED long tubes and a good cat back, but I didnt have the funds to do that on top of everything else. I will be doing the exhaust and a new dyno tune by late August, the shorties and no cats will tide me over till then.

CONTACT INFO:

Jeff Creech of Carolina Auto Masters (CAM) can be reached at (919) 680-DYNO (3966) or milkman@lugnutz.com.

Chris Polanski of Next Generation Motorsports can be reached at (910) 232-2451 or Lcvette1@aol.com.

As to who you have do all (or in my case, specific portions of) the work, I leave that to you. As I have said BOTH of these guys are talented, honest, and have impeccable reputations. Geographic location may dicatate your choice (Jeff is in Durham NC, Chris is in Wilmington NC). Talk to both about your needs/desires and go from there. Jeff and Chris are both my freinds and if you put a gun to my head and told me to choose one over the other, I'd tell you to pull the trigger! I have had the good fortune and the pleasure of dealing with both of these automotive Gurus on my project. Lets just say you can't go wrong either way.

Tell them John Conforti sent you!
Old 07-07-2002, 10:25 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

JC, thank you for the contacts.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:26 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

:cheers: :cool:

Very similar to my setup. You should see 360-370RWHP. Your drivetrain losses have increased some with the converter and gear so figure that into the dyno numbers also. Est. 420-430FWHP, so check it out with a wideband dyno and watch your A/F thru the curve. 30lb injectors might be needed. What's the exhaust setup? Hooker LT's into what? :chevy
John, Half Fast I think hit it right on the head . "30lb injectors.
What you have is very close to my set up. I even dyno 360 RWHP but thats with my 4.09 gears and my 325x50x15 tires so it took some power to turn that set-up. My car on the dyno leveled off because of the stock injectors, once the 30# were installed the car pulled hard to past 7000.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:36 PM
Half Fast
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc..... Part 1 (mackeyred96)

. . . My car on the dyno leveled off because of the stock injectors, once the 30# were installed the car pulled hard to past 7000.
Aren't you also stock bottom end? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 07-07-2002, 11:43 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

. . . My car on the dyno leveled off because of the stock injectors, once the 30# were installed the car pulled hard to past 7000.

Aren't you also stock bottom end? :eek: :eek: :eek:
Stock bottom end with 97,000+ miles and over 700 1/4 mile runs.

It still runs strong. :)

Get notified of new replies

To Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc.....

Old 07-08-2002, 12:02 AM
Half Fast
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc..... Part 1 (mackeyred96)

Maybe I'm too conservative. I guess I'll have to add the 100 shot I've been thinking about or I'll never get around to building a 396. :D
Old 07-08-2002, 12:38 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

396 is old news 409 is now HOT ;)
Old 07-08-2002, 09:31 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Is it possible to make a 427 from an LT1?

Quick Reply: Just did heads, cam, intake, etc, etc, etc.....