C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optispark to Coilpacks

Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM
RWC112
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Optispark to Coilpacks

I am looking into replacing the Opti spark dis. with a Coil pack setup I have found the delteq conversion and the LTCC conversion that uses the optispark for the optical pickup my question is can I get a LS1,2,3,6 ECM wiring harness and coil pack or am I better off with the LTCC setup or is the MSD or Accel opti II dis with new 10.4 mm wire set just good enough the 1993 corvette I have has 41000 miles and would like to upgrade the optispark so there isn't an issue down the road I am installing the 1.6 roller rocker arms and a new roller timing set and water pump drive shaft may get a new CAM AND lifters and up grade the throttle body to 54mm
The following users liked this post:
Brisco Kn (06-11-2020)
Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by RWC112
I am looking into replacing the Opti spark dis. with a Coil pack setup I have found the delteq conversion and the LTCC conversion that uses the optispark for the optical pickup my question is can I get a LS1,2,3,6 ECM wiring harness and coil pack or am I better off with the LTCC setup or is the MSD or Accel opti II dis with new 10.4 mm wire set just good enough the 1993 corvette I have has 41000 miles and would like to upgrade the optispark so there isn't an issue down the road I am installing the 1.6 roller rocker arms and a new roller timing set and water pump drive shaft may get a new CAM AND lifters and up grade the throttle body to 54mm
Why not just do an lsx swap instead?

the optispark is fine as long as you are using an oem unit with mitsubishi optical sensor. if yours is unvented you simply add a vent to make it bulletproof reliable.

The funny thing about the coilpack conversions is they still rely on the optispark. They dont eliminate it.

Its the optical sensor that goes bad (though a vented setup with mitsubishi optical sensor will last a very long time)

last i checked you could still buy a gen i ac delco new old stock dist. Though that may have changed.

Spend the $750 for one, add a vented harness.

Theres guys spinning them beyond 8k and they work fine.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM
RWC112
Advanced

I have found OEM and other replacement Optispark dist for 65.00 to 175.00 the Accel is 229.00 and the MSD is 400.00+ was thinking about the MSD as I have heard it is a really good distributor wit a very good optical pickup
Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

ac delco is the only manufacturer of the optispark for your 1993.

The msd optispark is garbage-grade. Plenty of people here have been screwed by them.
Actually, almost all current msd products are garbage grade after an investment company bought them just for the name.

Pay the money for an ac delco new old stock optispark or be sorry.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

A guy at the track has the conversion but he still blew his opti while running.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM
RWC112
Advanced

where can I get the Mitsubishi optical pickup
Old 11-14-2013, 09:06 AM
RWC112
Advanced

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/LT1-SBC-IGNITION.html
Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM
BBNJKen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Coil Pack ignitions conversations for LT1/LT4

I'm doing some early investigation on this as well, and found:

www.eficonnection.com

It appears it uses a separate cam rotor ( does not appear to be Opti), along with the crank wheel and sensor, etc.

below is a link to CarCraft article on it, along with some alleged "real world" HP & TQ improvements:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ine_coils.html
Old 11-14-2013, 03:16 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by BBNJKen

www.eficonnection.com

It appears it uses a separate cam rotor ( does not appear to be Opti), along with the crank wheel and sensor, etc.

below is a link to CarCraft article on it, along with some alleged "real world" HP & TQ improvements:

**I edited this post**

:

+30rwTQ

Did you note that the baseline car had an MSD optispark?
Even if those results were real, I bet that the MSD optispark was malfunctioning, like most of the ones our forum members have bought.

They also mention making some MINOR air/fuel ratio tweaks between the optispark and the coil packs.

If those results are really true, Id be converting my optispark over also.

Id love to find out more, but in the meantime, I am not a believer....(that coilpack conversion makes more power over a properly working OEM grade optispark) !

Last edited by dizwiz24; 11-14-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:15 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BBNJKen

www.eficonnection.com

I'm doing this kit right now.

But I have removed all the factory electronics from my car and I run all Autometer gages. I don't think the eficonnection kit will play well with the CCM in a C4.

Their kit IS plug and play with Fbodies, but they don't have CCM's.

Easiest way to think about it is you are pretty much running LS electronics entirely. Really the only thing in their kit that is proprietary is the crank reluctor and the cam sensor housing. But I also bought my wire harness from them and it's very, very well made.

Once I get everything put back together I will definitely post results.

Last edited by DVNCI; 11-14-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 PM
ZO7 JOSH
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see the results definitely in the market!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:50 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by DVNCI
I'm doing this kit right now.

But I have removed all the factory electronics from my car and I run all Autometer gages. I don't think the eficonnection kit will play well with the CCM in a C4.

Their kit IS plug and play with Fbodies, but they don't have CCM's.

Easiest way to think about it is you are pretty much running LS electronics entirely. Really the only thing in their kit that is proprietary is the crank reluctor and the cam sensor housing. But I also bought my wire harness from them and it's very, very well made.

Once I get everything put back together I will definitely post results.
Do you have any comments regarding whether coil pack swaps are a power increase?

Ive always been under the belief that the only people doing coil pack conversions were those people who didnt understand how to make the optispark reliable (ie. Only using oe acdelco parts, adding a vented harness if you dont have one, etc.)

its been my understanding that a properly working optispark accurately locates the crankshaft and adjusts timing, accurately per rpm and load (kpa) as commanded.

you can add a spark amplifier (msd, etc.) to an optispark, like i have done. Yes, i read the article expla, ining about how capacitive discharge is a short duration spark and that a long, strong spark is preferred.

that article talking about a substantial power increase is really confusing. Im not sure i believe it
Old 11-17-2013, 03:22 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Do you have any comments regarding whether coil pack swaps are a power increase?

Ive always been under the belief that the only people doing coil pack conversions were those people who didnt understand how to make the optispark reliable (ie. Only using oe acdelco parts, adding a vented harness if you dont have one, etc.)

its been my understanding that a properly working optispark accurately locates the crankshaft and adjusts timing, accurately per rpm and load (kpa) as commanded.

you can add a spark amplifier (msd, etc.) to an optispark, like i have done. Yes, i read the article expla, ining about how capacitive discharge is a short duration spark and that a long, strong spark is preferred.

that article talking about a substantial power increase is really confusing. Im not sure i believe it
I have done a LTCC and msd billet upgrade on my car and I have to say it has made life alot easier for me. There are several aspects of the LTCC that i like including the boost retard system, the rev limiter and the 2 step. It also make changing plug wires a hell of alot easier!

The LTCC conversion only runs off the low side of the opti so there are no worries of your cap and rotor going bad either. Granted it doesnt delete the opti, there are alot of positive things. It all depends on what you are doing with your car. My car is procharged with tons of modifications.

I just got my 2 step conected properly today. Here is a video. I should also say that BOB BAILEY is awesome and his customer service is spot on. He has helped with any and every issue I have had for my ignition system.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 PM
RWC112
Advanced

I have sent this post to the engine builder I use he will advise me on what he thinks about the upgrade I do want to lose the optispark to make a tune up simpler and eliminating the distributor all together is a good thing for this engine you can't change the cap and rotor without removing the water pump.... and the distributor hidden under the water pump that has a drive shaft that can also leak is a bad thing I found a new aftermarket distributor for 75.00 I plan to sell this to a guy I sold my spare lt1 ENGINE TO AS HE NEEDS ONE I think this setup is best I found new LS coil packs for 210.00 and can get the ECM controller... for 100.00 at a junk yard near me I will need the basic kit I guess and wiring harness
Brisco Kn (06-11-2020)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would expect a slight power increase but that's not why I'm doing it. I'm actually a fan of the Optispark (at least the original Dynaspark that actually I have for sale now). I have never seen a car start up faster than mine - it's almost instant.

I'm primarily doing it to get the LS computer - more specifically for boost. I will be adding a Vortech YSI soon and the LS computer has provisions for boost - LT does not.
Brisco Kn (06-11-2020)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Id love to find out more, but in the meantime, I am not a believer....(that coilpack conversion makes more power over a properly working OEM grade optispark) !
For some, it may be more of a reliability issue. I for one plan on swapping my OPTI out for the coil packs when I can afford to do so.

My 96 LT1 "appears" to have the original OPTI with 168,000 miles on it. The car runs ok, but it isn't optimal. Just don't hit a water puddle going down the road because you will be sitting on the side of the road hoping that you can get it started again,

Caps and rotors wear out, it's a known fact. Even with venting, the OPTI cap and rotor appear to be less robust than a standard cap and rotor. GM had a good idea, it was just poorly executed. With the traces in the cap running close together, that high voltage has a tendency to jump tracks causing misfiring once the cap gets some age and heat stress.

By converting to coil packs, you do away with the high voltage in the cap and rotor, and thus remove the hassle of having to replace the cap and rotor all together, and remove the hassle of trying to reach the plug wires on the left side of the OPTI. Once converted, you no longer have to worry about having a rotor blow apart at high RPM's leaving you on the side of the road stranded.

If you are happy with a standard OPTI, keep using them. I on the other hand would prefer to spend more time driving my Corvette, and less time fixing it.

Last edited by JMelton; 11-18-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Brisco Kn (06-11-2020)
Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by smooth1990
I have done a LTCC and msd billet upgrade on my car and I have to say it has made life alot easier for me. There are several aspects of the LTCC that i like including the boost retard system, the rev limiter and the 2 step. It also make changing plug wires a hell of alot easier!

]
You can boost retard using tunerpro (if you do your own tuning, as I do).

This is easy to do, even if you are using stock 1 bar MAP sensor, because supercharger boost is linear vs. rpm. I can command timing to come on / or come off vs. engine rpm.

I am not worried about my cap/rotor going bad. Never any issues with that and the parts I use.

I will agree with you about making wire changes easier ! I am sure it does!

Get notified of new replies

To Optispark to Coilpacks

Old 11-19-2013, 10:50 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by DVNCI
I would expect a slight power increase but that's not why I'm doing it. I'm actually a fan of the Optispark (at least the original Dynaspark that actually I have for sale now). I have never seen a car start up faster than mine - it's almost instant.

I'm primarily doing it to get the LS computer - more specifically for boost. I will be adding a Vortech YSI soon and the LS computer has provisions for boost - LT does not.
So you're the guy with the vortech YSI...
Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can boost retard using tunerpro (if you do your own tuning, as I do).

This is easy to do, even if you are using stock 1 bar MAP sensor, because supercharger boost is linear vs. rpm. I can command timing to come on / or come off vs. engine rpm.

I am not worried about my cap/rotor going bad. Never any issues with that and the parts I use.

I will agree with you about making wire changes easier ! I am sure it does!
Its a lot easier for more than wire but everyone has their own opinion. My rev limiter, timing and 2 step are adjustable within seconds vs hooking up the laptop and burning new chips.

Honestly I dont see any downfall at all to the ltcc besides the fact that its expensive. It has a lot of positives that work well for me. Some people like it, some dont. To each his own. I will continue to use it until I find something that is negative about it.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by smooth1990
Its a lot easier for more than wire but everyone has their own opinion. My rev limiter, timing and 2 step are adjustable within seconds vs hooking up the laptop and burning new chips.

Honestly I dont see any downfall at all to the ltcc besides the fact that its expensive. It has a lot of positives that work well for me. Some people like it, some dont. To each his own. I will continue to use it until I find something that is negative about it.

Its cool you got it to work. I dont see any downsides either (to coil pack conversion) other than cost.

In fact, DVCNI pointed out that if you do go to an LSx computer swap, that you will need to convert to coil pack anyways.

However, I suspect the OP doesnt plan on going that route and simply believes the optispark to be 'not reliable' and the only thing that is going to make his car reliable is if he goes to a coil pack conversion.

This is so not true...

Okay.....why my attitude?

Ive been so strong-winded on these posts because:

Ive gotten tired of hearing about people swapping out the optispark for a $69 made-in-china optispark, or (worse) a $500 MSD still-piece-of-garbage-optispark, and then complaining that the optispark is an unreliable piece of junk.

this is not about some 17 yr old and his lt1 camaro, or 24" rim b-body. Any of those optisparks have no place in these machines.

Why did your stock one fail? Simple. if its a 92-94, its because it wasnt vented and/or the seals cracked allowing water intrusion (just as mine did with only 26000 miles on it). If its a 95-96, then something broke down in your vent harness and/or the seals broke. I coat my optispark seal edges in RTV silicone as an extra fail-safe.

Ive said it a million times. You must use an OEM new old stock optispark with mitsubishi optical sensor and add a vented harness if you have a 92-94.

Also, coat the edges of the optispark with rtv.
Brisco Kn (06-11-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Optispark to Coilpacks