C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette Code 51 Modded Computer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette Code 51 Modded Computer

Hello guys, I have quite a few modifications done to my car, so I had to get it tuned.

I had a G2 adapter soldered in that I bought from moates.net, and for $25 they soldered it in. When I received the computer, the cooling fans would not come on, check engine light was on but could not pull codes, and the gas mpg gauge said 99 mpg (I wish).

I sent it back and they said it went into limp mode and they de-soldered and re-soldered the adapter it worked properly.

Well I have been having problems with idle surging after a hard acceleration, and bogging when you rev it in open loop (been there when it was stock).

So I've tested everything, and finally I decided, let me plug in Tuner Pro RT to see if I can see any data that will help me diagnose the problem.

And I noticed that next to code 22 and code 51 it said ERROR in red.

Well code 22 is for low TPS voltage, that can't be because I had just adjusted the TPS and did a sweep test on it, so it was working fine, and Tuner Pro RT said it was .55v when it was idling.

And code 51 is for a bad computer or a bad memcal or something.

And that would have to be the last step in the diagnosis, everything else checked out okay, so it had to be the computer.

What do you guys think? Is it the computer? Is there a diagnosis? Can this be repaired or do I have to replace it?

And this idle surge happened ever since I first turned on the car for the first time.

Usually All Data has some like diagnostic tree things, I don't have access to that but maybe there is one out there for this code?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's not normal for this code to come on when data logging, and on my car I have to have A & B terminals shorted to data log, other wise it won't record data.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 AM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

When using the data cable, I know on mine there is a jumper you can set to avoid logging while running in service mode. See the instructions that cam e with the cable and see if you can set the jumper for the proper resistance to accomplish just logging.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Okay I Use The 10K Ohm Resister Instead Of Direct Short And It Went Away And Still Data Logs. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Code 51 Modded Computer

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Code 51 Modded Computer