C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR valve solenoid always "on"

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Mooney78865
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR valve solenoid always "on"

I have a 91 coupe and have been fighting a code 32 for a bit now. I have finally run it down to the egr solenoid always being "grounded". I have been testing the system with a mighty vac and have good vacuum every where it should and would "ground" the solenoid during testing to confirm operation.
After beating myself up with a lot of "I've fixed it now" I re installed the vacuum gauge and low and behold the egr solenoid would open as soon as the engine started. (it was not grounded with ignition on and engine off)
The car is new to me with what looks like a re manufactured ECM. Could the ECM have failed?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:07 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Possibly, but I would look at a wiring diagram before you replace anything. The ECM should ground the solenoid, but it will depend on a couple conditions. You need a wiring diagram or a description and operation from All Data to figure it out.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Speed density cars are very sensitive to free flowing exhaust and code 32. We need
more info to tell you very much. Is your car modded? Code 32 typically sets when EGR
is requested by the ECM but not sensed by the MAP sensor.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Mooney78865
Heel & Toe

The car is stock. Everything I've read says that the egr solenoid is "grounded" when conditions are met for EGR operation. Which makes me wonder why it is grounding as soon as the engine starts. Engine hot or cold it grounds.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

The EGR solenoid is closed when grounded. It opens when the ECM requests EGR and
ungrounds the solenoid. It seems backwards, but thats how they do it. Code 32 is a NO
EGR code. Have you tested the EGR valve, the diaphragms do fail.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benny42
The EGR solenoid is closed when grounded. It opens when the ECM requests EGR and
ungrounds the solenoid. It seems backwards, but thats how they do it. Code 32 is a NO
EGR code. Have you tested the EGR valve, the diaphragms do fail.
I can't wait to find out. Mine does the same thing. Everything checks out but the valve can't be bench tested. Not sure how to test. If I force it open the engine does stall but what rpm is required to actually confirm it's opening?
Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Mooney78865
Heel & Toe

Everything I read is that the 91 is a normaly closed solenoid. I take that to mean that until there is a ground applied the solenoid remains closed. The ground is applied when conditions are met opening the solenoid.
As to all the other questions, yes, I've tested/replaced all of the Auto Zone parts with Delco or Delphi.
So now the question is, does the ground come on at start up and is removed when conditions are correct? I hope so as that would solve everything.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You could try blowing or sucking through the solenoid when it's unplugged.

Then do the same with 12 volts applied to it. I think it gets turned on when the A & B contacts on the ALDL connector are connected together. One way to tell is to short A & B and then plug and unplug the connector on the solenoid. It will click if it's powered.

According to my '86 ECM programming, EGR gets commanded under these conditions:

TPS > 1.95% (EGR currently commanded)
TPS > 3.13% (EGR not commanded)
MAT > 0.5°F
Coolant temperature > 56°C = 133°F

Get notified of new replies

To EGR valve solenoid always "on"

Quick Reply: EGR valve solenoid always "on"