C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Setting Your C4 Up for Auto-X

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:24 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by HandsomeMike
I'm bringing back an oldie but a goodie!

I have an 89 FE1 car that I installed a 32/24 sway bar combo on a few years ago along with Bilstein sport shocks. The car is also lowered. The improvements were very good and it doesn't push bad during the occasional autox's I've done. I scored a NYU spring today off an 88 Z51 and was wondering if used with the FHA (93.1) front spring, if I am going to be neutral, slightly oversteer or lots of oversteer. This total package is almost identical to a 92 Z07 other than my front spring being 93.1 vs 90.1 and my front bar being 32 vs 30. I'm still going to look for a front FHB Z51/Z07 spring but was wondering if this setup will be good in the mean time. Thanks folks!
In theory you should a touch more understeer than I have with my 93 Z07, you'll have a slightly stiffer front bar and spring but not much.

Don't forget the front sway can be "salted to taste" to get the car where you want it. I prefer a car that is just barely pushy.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:52 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have thought that stiffening the rear with the spring would loosen it a bit thus reducing some of the push I have now. Can you explain how it'll cause a touch more push? I'm running the "what you do to one end effects the other" scenario through my head trying to understand. I too prefer a pinch of push vs oversteer. Thanks for your help! I think I'll go ahead and put the spring in and see how it feels. When you say I can salt to taste on the front bar, do you mean by swapping it out or shimming it, etc?

Last edited by HandsomeMike; 07-07-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:03 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

I would have thought that stiffening the rear with the spring would loosen it a bit thus reducing some of the push I have now. Can you explain how it'll cause a touch more push? I'm running the "what you do to one end effects the other" scenario through my head trying to understand. I too prefer a pinch of push vs oversteer. Thanks for your help! I think I'll go ahead and put the spring in and see how it feels. When you say I can salt to taste on the front bar, do you mean by swapping it out or shimming it, etc?
Ok, I had to re-read that.

Yeah, FE1 stuff with the 32/combination, then you put the rear NYU spring on WITHOUT changing the front.

It might be ok, but I suspect it will be loose. Too much rear stiffness compared to the front but you DO have a larger front bar so....who knows.

Now the 93.1 AND the NYU bar, yes that would be a good close to Z07 combination.

Shimming front bar mounts.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:18 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

I agree, the 93.1 front spring I have now with NYU rear, bilstein sports and 32/24 bars should get me pretty balanced and make me essentially a Z07 car suspension wise. That and a proper autox alignment should satisfy me for at least a year before I start wanting to mess with something else! Thanks for your input!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Yeah, that setup might be a touch pushier than a true Z07 but not much, especially when salted to taste.

Alignments are good.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:25 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

I'm bringing back an oldie but a goodie!

I have an 89 FE1 car that I installed a 32/24 sway bar combo on a few years ago along with Bilstein sport shocks. The car is also lowered. The improvements were very good and it doesn't push bad during the occasional autox's I've done. I scored a NYU spring today off an 88 Z51 and was wondering if used with the FHA (93.1) front spring, if I am going to be neutral, slightly oversteer or lots of oversteer. This total package is almost identical to a 92 Z07 other than my front spring being 93.1 vs 90.1 and my front bar being 32 vs 30. I'm still going to look for a front FHB Z51/Z07 spring but was wondering if this setup will be good in the mean time. Thanks folks!
A FHA / NYU combination is pretty close to a Z07/Z51 combo.

the 32 front sway bar is 2mm larger than any z51 so that could give an understeer tendancy, but can be tuned out with tire pressures.

My prediction would be that combo would work fine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...84-96-z51.html
Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Thanks blackozvet. I'm pretty pumped to see how it handles after install.

Originally Posted by blackozvet
A FHA / NYU combination is pretty close to a Z07/Z51 combo.

the 32 front sway bar is 2mm larger than any z51 so that could give an understeer tendancy, but can be tuned out with tire pressures.

My prediction would be that combo would work fine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...84-96-z51.html
Old 07-08-2016, 02:53 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

83?????
Old 07-09-2016, 03:35 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Thanks blackozvet. I'm pretty pumped to see how it handles after install.
dont forget to update us after you have run the z51 setup.

you might need better tires too !
Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Handsome- here is my $.02. First, if you are going to Autox the car you will want to have a touch of oversteer to rotate around decreasing radius corners and tight 180 degree corners. Second, with the car lowered, you could be bottoming the shocks out on the front. With a lowered C4 look for C3 front shocks; they have the same mounts as the C4 on the front. I would work toward getting adjustable shocks next, preferably double, but Koni Sports are pretty nice too. Once you get the new spring in, have the car aligned and corner balanced. Lastly, the most important suspension component is tires; get some good tires for the class you want to run. Just research and see what the faster cars or the National guys are running. HAVE FUN
Old 07-09-2016, 09:14 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
83?????
Not referencing model year......production number.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Tom, and this is in all due respect, I agree but I disagree. Roll stiffness has the MOST to do with it. You are correct. However, Solofast, was THERE back in the day, and they tried a 84Z51 rear spring and their car jacked, BAD. I'd contact him for a full explanation. I have my saved messages with him somewhere. I can tell you this even with the softer 85-95 Z07/Z51 rear spring and 24mm rear bar, its very easy to get too much rear roll stiffness and the car gets snappy loose very quickly.

The other thing your forgetting is that the C4 and earlier Corvettes have a FIXED length upper control arm. The rear tires DO NOT stay level with the road like C5 and up. There is camber change with suspension travel, has to be with the fixed shaft. This is kept to a low level thanks to the low pivot swing axle design of the C4. Which got lower in 88 with the new mount for the rear lower control arm.

That being said, C4's have a very good rear suspension just not as good as newer cars, but much better than its peers or past sports cars that had basic swing axles. Which jack like a SOB.

I'm no expert in suspension dynamics but I know what works and doesn't. The 84 Z51 spring would work just fine with a front to match. If you put it in my car, it would totally UN-driveable.
Slight disagreement here. Both the C4 and C5 have two fixed length lateral rear suspension links (at each corner) that determine the camber curve (the halfshaft and strut rod on a C4, and the upper and lower control arms on a C5). And both models are designed to change camber as the wheel moves up and down to counteract the effect on tire vertical positioning when the vehicle/"frame" leans during cornering. It's the angles of the links that determine the amount of camber gain during suspension movement. And, there's rarely a free lunch in this world. If you get the suspension camber curve to perfectly cancel out the "frame" lean-induced camber change during cornering, you then end up with measurable camber change during straight line acceleration squat (thankfully the anti-squat geometry in both these suspensions reduces this effect).

FWIW, I'm running the '84 Z51 rear suspension in both my '84 and my '69. I like the handling (I do mostly track days, and autocross on rare occasions), and the ride is quite acceptable to me.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:36 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by l98tpi
Handsome- here is my $.02. First, if you are going to Autox the car you will want to have a touch of oversteer to rotate around decreasing radius corners and tight 180 degree corners. Second, with the car lowered, you could be bottoming the shocks out on the front. With a lowered C4 look for C3 front shocks; they have the same mounts as the C4 on the front. I would work toward getting adjustable shocks next, preferably double, but Koni Sports are pretty nice too. Once you get the new spring in, have the car aligned and corner balanced. Lastly, the most important suspension component is tires; get some good tires for the class you want to run. Just research and see what the faster cars or the National guys are running. HAVE FUN
good point about the shocks, most c4 front shocks are around 9.5" to 10" compressed, if your going to lower your front you should get no longer than 9.5" compressed length shocks. Try for 8.5" if you can, Flaming river do make one of those. QA1 make a 9.5"

in this pic with a couple of typical c4 shocks you can see the effective shaft length can be quite a bit different too.

Last edited by blackozvet; 07-10-2016 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 AM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just an occasional autox'er not looking to win my regional championship. I want to be competitive when I do race but overall just want a great handling Vette. I race in CAM class and was 8th out of 13 the last time out (beat a Viper by .1!). I won't be changing out the Bilstein sports that I bought new and put in a few years ago. The NYU rear spring is going in tomorrow. My neighbor who owns a shop and is also a Vette fan (he has a built C6 GS) is taking care of the job. This will conclude my suspension upgrades other than getting a more aggressive alignment. Tires are Continental Extreme DW. I'll go softer once these wear out. Next up, long tube headers!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:17 PM
shotime123
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you very much great article
Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

It's was raining when I picked up the Red Dragon from the shop today so I didn't get to drive it hard to feel the difference the spring made. That and the passenger rear is much higher than the driver side so I need to adjust it. Can't tell by looking but I measured from floor to frame on each side. Hoping to have an update for you guys about handling changes on Friday. Just driving home though cruising in a straight line it does feel noticeably more planted and solid.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:13 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Signed up for a HPDE today at NCM Motorsports Park for Aug 13th. I'll really have some good feedback for you after that!

Get notified of new replies

To Setting Your C4 Up for Auto-X

Old 07-14-2016, 10:36 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

measure from the jacking points (you will see the little indicators in the plastic) to the ground. make sure you measure from the steel behind the plastic.
that will give you a basis to see where your chassis heights are.

good luck with your autocross !
Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 AM
HandsomeMike
Racer

I adjusted the ride height yesterday using the jacking points as references (metal frame). It was way off! I then drove the car and made a few entry and exits from my steep driveway at different angles to make the suspension travel through its full geometry.

The HPDE will be on the race track, not an autocross. I have autocrossed on their autocross pad though and it is sooo nice and smooth!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

its tough to get some level measurements with a leaf front, do you have the longer bolts in the rear ?
thats where coilovers are so good, its a dream to adjust the chassis wherever you want it.

Quick Reply: Setting Your C4 Up for Auto-X