C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optispark

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Hawg55
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark

Put the hardtop back on the car for winter storage, and thought I'd run it for a bit. While it was sitting there idling the RPMs' started to fluctuate and then it would stall. It would start back up and run and then do the same thing again after a bit. Any idea what the possible cause is????
Codes keep changing after I clear them from h16 one time to h36 the next. Could it be the cap and rotor or is it the optispark itself?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:57 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Did you see black smoke from the exhaust?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Hawg55
Advanced

no it is not running rich
Old 12-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Hawg55
Advanced

OKs o the car started this morning and than dies again. Checked for codes and here is what I got: Module 1: H74...Module 4: H16 H33 H36 and H42...Module 9: H62....Any ideas????
Old 12-01-2013, 04:15 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rat eating/peeing on/nesting on your harness?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:17 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

What year car? There is nothing in your profile either it find out.

Codes are all over the map and would not run with anything yet. But I would check for spark and fuel pressure. If you lose your low resolution pulse (error 16), that will kill the engine.

I am more inclined to look at the ICM first which is a huge cause of loss of spark and interment conditions.

After it stalls, does it start up again? If it does not, that's a good time to check for spark.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Hawg55
Advanced

It's a 93. Three weeks ago it quit running and would not start. I started getting parts together, new optispark, water pump, plugs and wires, optispark harness etc in order to replace them. I went out the other day to check something on the car and it fired right up and ran great for a couple of days. Now it's dead in the water again and wont start. It will run at times for a few seconds and then not start.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 AM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bad ICM won't throw a code 16!

But a bad Opti will.....speaking from recent experience
Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Hawg55
Advanced

Went out this morning to clear codes and the module 1 code h74 and module 9 h62 codes were no longer there so I cleared all the module 4 codes. The car started and ran for about five seconds and died. Checked for codes after cranking a bit to see if it would start and there are no codes and it won't start.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Fuel pressure?
Fuel pressure regulator?
Spark at plugs?
Spark at opti coil wire connection?
Spark from coil?

Previous indicators or sudden failure?

Keep in mind that codes with an 'h' are history codes and not active codes.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:15 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

With posts 6 & 10.

You have checked the codes as a beginning step which is good. It went nowhere so now forget about them. You're not going to fix it looking at codes.

It's going to require actual troubleshooting of fuel and ignition system. Since it is an intermittent problem, the actual defective part (which we don’t know yet) may not check or test bad. Once you determine the problem area and then narrow it down to a possible part, replacement may be the only way to definitely ascertain the problem. I'm not saying to throw parts at it but to troubleshoot the problem as best as far as possible then make the best possible decision.

Last edited by pcolt94; 12-02-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawg55
It's a 93. Three weeks ago it quit running and would not start. I started getting parts together, new optispark, water pump, plugs and wires, optispark harness etc in order to replace them. I went out the other day to check something on the car and it fired right up and ran great for a couple of days. Now it's dead in the water again and wont start. It will run at times for a few seconds and then not start.
I really hope you didnt cheap out and buy a non new old stock, non OE optispark.....

Any optispark other than OE (ac delco for 92-94) or delphi from 95-96, are junk.

Even the expensive $500 MSD optispark is junk as it doesnt use an OE grade mitsubishi optical sensor.

If that optical sensor inside the doesnt have the mitsubishi symbol on it, then your car is on borrowed time... Or in my case, i couldnt even get it out of the garage after a new optispark install (the brand was ac delco 'remanufactured').

Note that the AC Delco 'remanufactured' optisparks recycle the optical sensor that was on the base core. They do a great job replacing seals, bearings, but unfortunately 'reuse' whatever optical sensor was on the base core.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Hawg55
Advanced

I got a NOS ac delco optispark part number 10457702 and an msd cap and rotor so it will be vented. It has fuel, it has spark have checked all of that. Haven't installed any of the new parts yet as I am trying to figure out what is causing the problem. Dont want to just throw parts on it and not repair the problem. If anyone else has experienced the same problem please chime in. I am leaning towards the optispark being bad, or the cap and rotor being bad. When the PO bought the car he had the cap and rotor replaced along with the water pump about 7k miles ago, but they were replaced with NAPA parts at the cost of $1000.00....

Last edited by Hawg55; 12-02-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Den14
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check for gas smell on the oil dipstick or the vacuum hose that goes to the manifold from the FPR? Had a similar situation with my 92 LT-1. I had the black smoke of open injectors dumping fuel into cylinders. I got injectors from FIC and they are so much better than the MUltecs. You should not smell gas in the oil I found out!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

I got a NOS ac delco optispark part number 10457702 and an msd cap and rotor so it will be vented. It has fuel, it has spark have checked all of that. Haven't installed any of the new parts yet as I am trying to figure out what is causing the problem. Dont want to just throw parts on it and not repair the problem. If anyone else has experienced the same problem please chime in. I am leaning towards the optispark being bad, or the cap and rotor being bad. When the PO bought the car he had the cap and rotor replaced along with the water pump about 7k miles ago, but they were replaced with NAPA parts at the cost of $1000.00....
What was the fuel pressure?
How long did it hold after turning the key off?
FPR in good shape?

So it has spark?
Good spark, weak spark?
At all the plugs, the opti connection, the coil?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Hawg55
Advanced

Today is my late day at work, so I figured I would do some more investigating on my problem. So I go out to the car and it starts right up and runs great???? Once it stops running it will not start at all but it seems if it sits for a few days it will fire back up and run.....I am waiting for the service manuals I ordered to arrive so I can diagnoise the problem more, but has this happened to anyone on here, and what did you find as the problem???
Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Today is my late day at work, so I figured I would do some more investigating on my problem. So I go out to the car and it starts right up and runs great???? Once it stops running it will not start at all but it seems if it sits for a few days it will fire back up and run.....I am waiting for the service manuals I ordered to arrive so I can diagnoise the problem more, but has this happened to anyone on here, and what did you find as the problem???
Few more questions.

When it started up, it runs as normal? No misfires, stumbling, rough idle?
How long did you run it? Just briefly, or brought up to operating temp?
Have you checked for gas in the oil?

Might want to try taking the ICM to a parts store and have it tested. It's real easy to take out. But then again, you said it has spark, I assume you tested at the plugs during the no start condition. If that's the case, then you can pretty much rule out the ignition being the problem.

Still curious about fuel pressure. I wonder if the pump has a weak connection, or condition that creates a shut down or overheat that shuts it off? Or if your fuel pressure regulator is malfunctioning?

The MAF and the MAP sensor are the other things that come to mind as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Optispark

Old 12-06-2013, 12:48 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a very similar problem with my 93 some time ago. It was the ICM (ignition control module) connector. It was lose inside, the prongs were not making a good connection so the car would start and run but when it got fully warmed up the heat would make the prongs bend and lose contact. It would not restart for hours, only after the motor cooled down completely. I found it by jiggling wires while the motor was running, when I jiggled the wire and connector to the ICM the engine would stumble and almost die. I pulled the connector apart and bent the prongs a little to make good contact. It's worth a try. Good luck.

Last edited by tombrammer; 12-06-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:54 PM
airplane50
Advanced

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I really hope you didnt cheap out and buy a non new old stock, non OE optispark.....

Any optispark other than OE (ac delco for 92-94) or delphi from 95-96, are junk.

Even the expensive $500 MSD optispark is junk as it doesnt use an OE grade mitsubishi optical sensor.

If that optical sensor inside the doesnt have the mitsubishi symbol on it, then your car is on borrowed time... Or in my case, i couldnt even get it out of the garage after a new optispark install (the brand was ac delco 'remanufactured').

Note that the AC Delco 'remanufactured' optisparks recycle the optical sensor that was on the base core. They do a great job replacing seals, bearings, but unfortunately 'reuse' whatever optical sensor was on the base core.
This is the best advise you can get. dizwiz24 said it best and knows what he's talking about. Would add, check your water pump. If its leaking change it. Also change your antifreeze and add the GM pellets to prevent future leaks.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by airplane50
This is the best advise you can get. dizwiz24 said it best and knows what he's talking about. Would add, check your water pump. If its leaking change it. Also change your antifreeze and add the GM pellets to prevent future leaks.
If waterpump is leaking then change it...

If the waterpump is not leaking then do not change it...why?

Because the waterpumps you buy today are ac delco made in china. Not as good as oem.

Adding a tube to the weephole is a great idea to divert water away from the optispark.

I also rtv silicone seal the optispark as added insurance in case the seals crack.

Though to be honest....ever since i put in 160 tstat and reprogrammed the fans, the coolant temp never goes above 180f.

Optispark seals look great vs. The oem units seals when the car ran at 210 to 220f. The oem optispark seals were all cracked allowing wsater intrusion and causing that units destruction!

Quick Reply: Optispark