C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel squirting from pipe joint connected to drivers side fuel rail; 88 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:06 AM
88c4vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel squirting from pipe joint connected to drivers side fuel rail; 88 Corvette

This is my first post here, guys. I have encountered an increasingly difficult issue here. On my 1988 Corvette I just bought a month ago, I am having fuel squirting out of the joint between the actual metal pipe and the bolt that holds the line into the back of the driver's side fuel rail. The line runs from there to in between the front two and back two injectors on the same side and has some sort of sensor that screws into the intake and has a connector on top similar to the connector for the injectors. I am trying to identify what this whole line and sensor thing is called. I'm usually a fairly adept mechanic, but this is my first vette, and I can't find anything online naming this part or where I can buy a replacement.

By the way, the o ring was bad on the fitting originally, but then I replaced it and now the o ring rolls back from its place every time I begin to screw it back in, but I still don't see how that can cause fuel to come from the joining of the pipe and the fitting because the o ring is just for the outside, and that's not where the fuel is coming from.

Please help me out guys (apologies for the length).
Old 12-02-2013, 01:06 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

You need to rebuild your fuel rail. You can purchase an oring kit, pull it apart and replace all your Orings. If the injectors are stock I would replace them while you are in there.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by 88c4vette
This is my first post here, guys. I have encountered an increasingly difficult issue here. On my 1988 Corvette I just bought a month ago, I am having fuel squirting out of the joint between the actual metal pipe and the bolt that holds the line into the back of the driver's side fuel rail. The line runs from there to in between the front two and back two injectors on the same side and has some sort of sensor that screws into the intake and has a connector on top similar to the connector for the injectors. I am trying to identify what this whole line and sensor thing is called. I'm usually a fairly adept mechanic, but this is my first vette, and I can't find anything online naming this part or where I can buy a replacement.

By the way, the o ring was bad on the fitting originally, but then I replaced it and now the o ring rolls back from its place every time I begin to screw it back in, but I still don't see how that can cause fuel to come from the joining of the pipe and the fitting because the o ring is just for the outside, and that's not where the fuel is coming from.

Please help me out guys (apologies for the length).
w/ ch@0s - you need to rebuild the fuel rail assembly. if this is your first and you're new to the forum (BTW, welcome), the first thing you will need is an 88 FSM (factory service manual) and a parts and illustration catalog. those two are worth their weight in gold if you plan on wrenching on your corvette. forum vendors, on-line vendors, and even fleabay are a good source of parts, both new and used. C4 parts are pretty plentiful.

Last edited by Joe C; 12-02-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

...... Sounds like you're dealing with a cold start injector ... AKA ninth injector ..........
Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 PM
88c4vette
Cruising

I will definitely look into getting those manuals and whatnot, guys. Just wondering what the name of the rail running from the cold start injector is called.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

try this -

http://chevythunder.com/do_it_yourse...ation_page.htm

Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

That's the cold start injector. It runs when the engine is cranking to richen the mixture when the engine is cold.

There are two O-rings where the cold start injector fuel line screws into the rear of the fuel rail. I had a problem with mine several years ago that caused it to leak. What happened was that as the fitting was screwed into the fuel rail, sharp edges inside the bore were slicing the O-ring, causing it to leak.

I finally fixed the problem by rounding off the sharp edges of the 45° bevel inside the bore and polishing it. A little lubrication on the O-ring and then it slipped right in and no more leaks.

Here's a picture. Item #107 was my problem:

Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 AM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
You need to rebuild your fuel rail.
http://webpages.charter.net/khasting...uelsystem.html
Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... I especially enjoyed the squirrel recipes in the section titled squirrel fishing ............... ............
Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 AM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try to find a cold start injector I'm not sure they serviced any longer. Or you can get one of these kits to remove the cold start injector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370791468159...84.m1438.l2649

Last edited by floridamale; 12-03-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:31 PM
88c4vette
Cruising

Went ahead and bought a delete kit and deleted the injector. She's good to go again. Thanks guys!

Get notified of new replies

To fuel squirting from pipe joint connected to drivers side fuel rail; 88 Corvette

Quick Reply: fuel squirting from pipe joint connected to drivers side fuel rail; 88 Corvette