C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

recomendations for new ignition system?

Old 12-07-2013, 08:02 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default recomendations for new ignition system?

1989 - I'm about to make my switch to running a holley commander 950 for engine management and I want to make sure I have my ignition squared away also. What experience with a track oriented car do you have?

I've had a lot of trouble with coils and moduals overheating with my stock hei unit even with delco parts. Pushing to 5000 rpm usually results in some type of ignition code and dropped cylinders. I am also about to make the move to 383 big cam engine that I will drive about 500 miles in the street a year. I drive about 5-6 weekends a year at the track so it gets beat on pretty hard.

From what I read some people who drive their stuff really hard for prolonged periods have reliability problems from msd units and prefer the mallory stuff. When I look at mallory I'm not seeing hei stuff without vaccum advance. I want my commander 950 to handle all the ignition timing. I think since my cam will be agressive enough to sping to 7k rpm, I would like the multiple spark for some type of drivability on the road but I know mallory and msd both make units capable.

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions?
Old 12-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am running a MSD Billet distributer with a MSD 6AL box and a Blaster 2 coil on my 89 track car. I'm at 10.5:1 comp and shift at 6k rpm. 350 HP to the wheels and zero issues with ignition. Also running 38° of total timing.

I did mount the MSD in the breadbox area to keep it away from heat.

Last edited by Black89Z51; 12-07-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:04 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds good. Wondering why others have problems.... might be the heat, that engine compart gets pretty toasty plus ignition components get 10x hotter. Most problems I've read happen in dd cars and not track cars which is the opposite of what I expected.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:30 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

...... I use a small cap HEI ... MSD ... an OLD school Accel Super Coil ... and an MSD 6AL ... my car is driven a lot on the street and spends a good amount of time at the drag strip ... no issues ... except the bad batch of MSD distributor caps that ate center electrodes in hours ....... my 6AL is mounted inside the car ... they don't like heat ............... Oh , and you gotta ground EVERYTHING ! ..............

Last edited by C409; 12-08-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To recomendations for new ignition system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: recomendations for new ignition system?