C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need some help on what to do next

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:19 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help on what to do next

I have a 84 corvette with only 80k miles. I got it bone stock from a old gentleman who took extreme care of it. When I purchased it I did a few things, deleted the air pump, headman headers, magnaflow X pipe, corvette central magnaflow mufflers with lt1 tips, k&n air filter, comp cams 270h cam, comp cams valve spring and valve seals, replaced every gasket and put a new timing chain and gears, new fuel filter, changed trans filter and replaced fluid with b&M trick shift, also a new harmonic balancer, C5 wheels, corvette central lowering kit, ported and chopped intake manifold, and a hyper tech ecu chip. Ok I did all that at once and it starts and runs but it runs very rich, like cant stay in the garage because you can breath and it burns your eyes rich. I thought I may have had a wrong chip called hyper tech and gave them the numbers on the chip and it was correct and they even sent me another one and still the same thing. I been over everything, changed all the new lines and gaskets with another set of new gasket were I thought there could possibly be a leak and did not help. I am not a fan of this cross fire injection setup so since there is a issue with this fuel injection setup I been kicking around the idea of swapping it to a carb setup, or sell it and buy a older car but I do love this c4. I am wanting to put a 671 blower on something and people keep telling me that I can run one on this corvette 350 on low boost so I want to know if that's true? Also the pulleys just say how much underdrive they are for example it says 10.5% underdriven how do I know how much boost that is?

I should also add I did break the new cam and valve train in properly with comp cams break in oil additive with non synthetic oil, and the timing gears and timing chain install was done by a very reputable engine builder here in town.

So basically I want to know can this motor handle a low boost 671 blower along with the mods I have done so far, and how do you know how much boost each pulley is made for when its just gives under drive percentages.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge this is my first American v8 car, I mainly build and tune Volkswagen turbo diesel's but this corvette has changed me. Lets remember forums are to learn and to seek information from, so keep the criticisms and bashing to your self too many other tuner forums are bad about this lets keep this thread informative and clean.

Last edited by phucking-low; 12-07-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I skipped most of your stuff because I don't have much time, but hyper tech chips are garbage. What you need is a tune. You changed the cam shaft which the computer cannot compensate for without a tune. Use tbichips.com, I was recommended to them because I have the old 870 ecu, I never used them though but they specialize in your computer. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

Thanks for the info I will definitely check them out if I decide to keep the cross fire setup.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Installing a blower in an engine with 80K is kinda pointless unless you plan on rebuilding it...or wanting something that will last. Under-driving it is also pointless to me unless you just want it to look good.

I do not know what you mean about "ported and chopped" intake manifold. This does not make sense...because I know what a cross-fire intake looks like and I am not aware of it being able to be "chopped"

Depending on how much"porting" was done...or how slick it was "polished" ...if it was "polished" can cause a problem with the fuel not being able to be atomized well enough due to the casting texture is no longer there and it is slick as glass. This might make this engine a high RPM engine...and at idle it will possibly "load up" on raw un-atomized fuel and foul out the spark plugs.

I feel that you have a fuel pressure issue. I am betting that the injectors are dumping in fuel...due to a lack of sufficient pressure to allow the injectors to atomize the fuel. I also bet that it may take some time for the ECM to go into "CLOSED LOOP". And if it does go into closed loop...it may even go back into "OPEN LOOP". Possible installing a heated O2 sensor may be needed...but I am not there to read your data when the engine is running. Knowing your fuel pressure is VERY IMPORTANT.

DUB
Old 12-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

671 on a Vette requires cutting the hood open + you will probably have trouble seeing around it.

My Deuce coupe with a 671 on a 350 with 64cc heads & flat top pistons .030 in the hole gave 10 lbs boost @ 18% under drive.

I used Dyers blower works for parts etc they are in Chicago far south side.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:34 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

The cutting a hole in the hood and having the blower towering above it is just the cherry on the cake for my I LOVE THAT LOOK and that's what I want.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

http://www.technovelocity.com/chevyh...rt_polish.html

That's the link to the intake porting I did step by step, I did not polish the intake ports.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:25 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

With a cam you will need a tune. Do not drive it if its running too rich you will ruin your engine.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

Have not tried to drive it has not even left the garage
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Also, Heated Oxygen Sensor Conversion As Mentioned Above. Your Headers Don't Allow Them To Get Hot Enough.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:03 AM
phucking-low
Advanced

Is a heated oxygen sensor something that's after market like get it from jegs or is it just another oem style one I can get from auto zone or advance.

Anyone have part numbers

Last edited by phucking-low; 12-08-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:04 AM
phucking-low
Advanced

If I were to put a blower on it I would convert it to a carb setup.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:42 AM
phucking-low
Advanced

I would need the o2 if I were to keep the cross fire setup and not put a blower on. Thanks for the info on the boost, if I do spring for the carbed blower setup I think I would go 5 psi to be safe
Old 12-08-2013, 03:57 AM
phucking-low
Advanced

My o2 is in the collector
Old 12-08-2013, 09:20 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

you Would Still Need It With Any type Of Fuel Injection, Blower Or Not. What You Need To Do Is Buy A Same Sized O2 Sensor, But For A Car That Uses Heated Sensors. The Sensor Wire Will Be Cut And Crimped To The sensor WIre On The Car. And splice The Other Wires To A Ground And Hot With Key On Or Engine Running.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If I am not mistaken...you can use the heated O2 sensor for a 1993 ZR-1. Sorry no part number right now. I believe it is a 3 wire sensor.

DUB
Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
If I am not mistaken...you can use the heated O2 sensor for a 1993 ZR-1. Sorry no part number right now. I believe it is a 3 wire sensor.

DUB
I used whatever my local parts store had. Not even sure what car it was for, just said send me up a 3 wire o2 sensor.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help on what to do next

Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Installing a blower in an engine with 80K is kinda pointless unless you plan on rebuilding it...or wanting something that will last. Under-driving it is also pointless to me unless you just want it to look good.

DUB
I don't know about that. I had a Procharger on my L-98 with 100,xxx on it and it was a beast. I have since put that engine without the blower in my t-bucket for over a year, sold the car and am putting the engine in my Hudson. All on the stock build. Keep your boost reasonable and your Fuel pressure (as you noted) correct.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

The guy who took extreme care of the car must be thrilled by this story.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

Originally Posted by DinoBob
The guy who took extreme care of the car must be thrilled by this story.

Very helpful thanks

Quick Reply: Need some help on what to do next