C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Loose battery cable

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Loose battery cable

Drove 89 Vette to the gym today since it was sunny and warm. No issues. When I left gym I turned key to on, let fuel pump come on, turned the key to start and the whole car went dead. No juice at all. Dash was blank, the whole nine yards. I checked the battery cables first for corrosion and they are clean but the positive cable was a touch loose. I moved it around and could hear everything click and light up. Borrowed wrench from gym and tightened up the terminal. Car started, idled rough for a second then smoothed out. When I drove to the stop sign leaving the parking lot and stopped, the car wanted to die. I took off onto main road and by the time I had gone a mile or so it was fine when idling. Checked battery with multi meter when I got home and with car off it was 12v. I started car and checked alternator and it was charging at 13.58v. Cable is still able to be wiggled a bit and I was wondering if adding a washer to take up space would cure my condition or if you guys have other thoughts. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

12 volts means your battery is doomed. Try giving it a trickle charge and if you don't get at least 12.5 or 12.7 [ don't remember] it's replacement time.

Last edited by kimmer; 12-19-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Just checked again. Battery with car off is 12.11. New battery? No charger in my possession. What about the washer to tighten my connection? If so what type of washer? Do the anti corrosive washers add enough thickness to take up the slack?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kimmer is right I would like to see a little more out of it also but your probley be ok. as afar as a washer if everything is stock there should be no reason to do that. make sure the cables are not binding in anyway and make sure you tighten the bolts correctly

Last edited by hooked073; 12-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

How old is the batt? Don't try to set any records for batt life.
Buy now, if needed. Load test is very important.

12.3V static is a good bench mark.

13.5V charging is low..... 13.9 - 14.5 (start-up) preferred.

Top or side posts? (my apologies if I missed this)

The cables need to be tight.... not almost tight.

Corrosion washers are fine as long as the cables are tight.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

The alternator charges at 13.5 when idling. When I first start the car and under acceleration it goes up to high 13's to 14's. It does have under drive pulleys. Battery is side post. Not sure how old it is. If I replace it what is the recommended CCA I should get?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HandsomeMike
.......If I replace it what is the recommended CCA I should get?
Buy the highest CCA batt that will fit in your vette.. If you are a Costco member, that is your best batt source. Many batteries are made by Johnson Controls and labeled for various stores..... same battery, same warranty.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 AM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Checked battery this morning and voltage at the terminals is 11.5. Dead according to the charts I googled. Off to the store!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM
BGZQ8
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Time for a new one.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

I had always heard and read that removing the battery was a nightmare. I am an OK wrench when it comes to cars and it only took about 10 minutes to get the panel off and maybe another 3 to undo the hold down bolt (I don't have a long extension). Piece of cake! And I found the receipt for the battery in the binder or receipts and records that came with the car. Under warranty until 1/29/14! Exchanging for a new one this afternoon.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

New battery under warranty installed. Charging at 14.4 when I fired it for the first time. Finally a fix that didn't cost anything!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Old 12-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

New battery under warranty installed. Charging at 14.4 when I fired it for the first time. Finally a fix that didn't cost anything!
what kind of battery did you get? I need to replace mine in a week or 2 and also need to replace both ground cables and charge cable.

Anyone have the diagram for the ground wires and charge wire routings?

Also good luck with the new battery 14.4V is a good charging volts.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:34 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

AutoZone Duralast Gold 75 series 700 CCA. $84.95. Fortunately I found the receipt for the old one and they didn't question me on wether or not I was the original buyer!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:04 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had good luck for many years with the Autozone Gold batteries. I've got two right now that's over 7 years old.
Just a tip for you, a new battery really should be charged prior to installing. Makes for a happy alternator!

Joel
Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Duralast Batteries are all that I use!...

Readily available, Good Warranty, inexpensive and Great Quality!...
Old 12-20-2013, 09:41 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I am using D Gold and it is great. Can leave hood open radio on check lights and always starts right up.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose battery cable

Old 12-20-2013, 09:49 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GKK
Duralast Batteries are all that I use!...
Readily available, Good Warranty, inexpensive and Great Quality!...
Duralast batteries are made by Johnson Controls..... same as DieHard and many others. Duralast doesn't make a battery:

Bestbatterytips.com
Tim, we’ve had to make this a 6 part Q & A under our Mailbag Mondays questions. We’ll make this one part 2 on Duralast batteries. Duralast batteries are a line of batteries sold by Autozone, which by the way is on every street corner it seems anymore. Autozone is one of the biggest auto parts store chains in the country, known for their great customer service and exceptional products. They can thank Johnson Controls for their dependable Duralast batteries. Duralast is Autozone’s private label made by Johnson Controls. Autozone offers a diverse selection of Duralast batteries, ranging from small to large. They even offer the Optima Gel Batteries in Auto and Marine, by the way which Johnson Controls also owns.

Source: http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-...ast-batteries/
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by seabright
Duralast batteries are made by Johnson Controls..... same as DieHard and many others. Duralast doesn't make a battery:

Bestbatterytips.com
Tim, we’ve had to make this a 6 part Q & A under our Mailbag Mondays questions. We’ll make this one part 2 on Duralast batteries. Duralast batteries are a line of batteries sold by Autozone, which by the way is on every street corner it seems anymore. Autozone is one of the biggest auto parts store chains in the country, known for their great customer service and exceptional products. They can thank Johnson Controls for their dependable Duralast batteries. Duralast is Autozone’s private label made by Johnson Controls. Autozone offers a diverse selection of Duralast batteries, ranging from small to large. They even offer the Optima Gel Batteries in Auto and Marine, by the way which Johnson Controls also owns.
That's Exactly why I like Duralast Batteries (from Johnson Controls), because they're readily available at Autozone stores everywhere!...
Old 12-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

AutoZone Duralast Gold 75 series 700 CCA. $84.95. Fortunately I found the receipt for the old one and they didn't question me on wether or not I was the original buyer!
I just looked at autozone and the duralast gold battery is $115. May I ask how you found it for $84.95 i'd much rather pay the $84.95 rather than the $65 for another pro-rated O'reilly battery that will die in a year. Plus the Autozone battery has better cranking amps.

Quick Reply: Loose battery cable