C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlight motor upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Rdees93
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight motor upgrade question

I would like to upgrade my headlight motor assembly from my 1984 headlight motor to the newer post 1988 style headlight motor. I have looked through the net for any guides or kits to do so and come up empty, does anyone have any idea how to do it? Or preferably some kind of adapter i can get. Additonally, i have looked through the rest of the forum and found a thread with a link to a pdf by mamotorworks that would outline what i need to do but it is down

Last edited by Rdees93; 01-07-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The headlight support housing need to be changed. Buying a used set would be wise....I used to change them a lot a long time ago when GM offered a kit to do the conversion from a 3-wire motor to a 2-wire motor. I believe I still have the instruction to wiring in the new controller that is needed to make the headlight motors work.

It has been a long time ago since I have had to do a conversion...but I do remember a "jumper" from the 3-wire connector on the car's wiring harness to the 2-wire connector needed to make the motors work.

It is somewhat involved. SO if you buy the motors and supports....you will want to make it clear that they sell you the wiring and connectors to do this conversion. If they are a good reputable Corvette used parts supplier...they will know what you need to have.

Call Contemporary Corvettes: 1-(800)-367-8388...they may have what you need if you can not find anything to your liking...and they more than likely will sell you the headlight assemblies complete...but you will have to ask them....because you do not need to buy the headlight door and bezel.

DUB
Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good info Dubs call the vendors on here there are a couple that sale the conversion
Old 01-08-2014, 09:53 PM
ccrazor
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Here is a link to instructions that was posted a short time ago, some of the pages of parts are incomplete but the wiring appears to be complete. If you can find a kit for the conversion and it doesn't include instructions, PM me and I will see if I can find the PDF file I got..

http://corvette1984.freewebtools.com...adeManual.html

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight motor upgrade question

Quick Reply: Headlight motor upgrade question