C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any Keyless Entry Gurus in the Forum? - VKE1000

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Bluezman
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Any Keyless Entry Gurus in the Forum? - VKE1000

Hello. I hope some people can toss in their best guess on this issue or maybe knows the answer for certain.

I would like to put a keyless entry system in my C4. I'll have the door panels apart and the interior removed soon so it would be a good time to run wires and stuff. But I see that the VKE1000, as has been sold here on the forum a few times, is the "official" GM system. And its apparently not available anymore. Except one just sold on fleabay for $100+ and I've compared it to kits sold here. The thing I've noticed is that every one of the boxes have a different GM part number printed on them. But, of course, they all state VKE1000. How is that possible?

Then I did a fairly extensive Google search and found that the VKE1000 is still available through GM to fit Pontiac, Buick, and Chevrolet cars like the Blazer and Caprice. Looking at the pictures in those listings prove the same anomalous part number; all of them have "VKE1000" printed big on the box with a completely different GM part number.

What gives? Looking at wiring you can actually see in the pictures, and the connectors, they all appear to be the same thing. Is that something GM would do; use an identical part that does the same thing with the same model number for different cars, and use twenty different GM numbers?

If anyone has any experience with this stuff, I'd sure love to get some direction and help here.

I've found new kits for sale Online for as low as $75. Most are around $110.

What do you think?
Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I've had a Valiant system from J. C. Whitney in my car for years. Not sure what they are now but mine was considerably less than $75.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:04 AM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluezman
Hello. I hope some people can toss in their best guess on this issue or maybe knows the answer for certain.

I would like to put a keyless entry system in my C4. I'll have the door panels apart and the interior removed soon so it would be a good time to run wires and stuff. But I see that the VKE1000, as has been sold here on the forum a few times, is the "official" GM system. And its apparently not available anymore. Except one just sold on fleabay for $100+ and I've compared it to kits sold here. The thing I've noticed is that every one of the boxes have a different GM part number printed on them. But, of course, they all state VKE1000. How is that possible?

Then I did a fairly extensive Google search and found that the VKE1000 is still available through GM to fit Pontiac, Buick, and Chevrolet cars like the Blazer and Caprice. Looking at the pictures in those listings prove the same anomalous part number; all of them have "VKE1000" printed big on the box with a completely different GM part number.

What gives? Looking at wiring you can actually see in the pictures, and the connectors, they all appear to be the same thing. Is that something GM would do; use an identical part that does the same thing with the same model number for different cars, and use twenty different GM numbers?

If anyone has any experience with this stuff, I'd sure love to get some direction and help here.

I've found new kits for sale Online for as low as $75. Most are around $110.

What do you think?
At one time GM used different part numbers in different divisions for the same part. I know this was the case for 68 Firebird vs Camaro. At some point, I think they stopped.

If you want a perfectly serviceable and perhaps still available alternative, Google Valet 712t Remote Keyless Entry Corvette.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:07 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

There might be subtle changes made over the years that didn't affect the overall functionality of the part.

GM tried to make these things as universal as possible. When I went to the Chevy dealer to buy mine they told me they didn't have one in stock but the Oldsmobile dealer did so I went there and bought it.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Bluezman
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

So, Chuck and Cliff, what you're both saying is that as long as it's the same name on the keyless entry system but a different part number, there's a good chance the hookup is the same and would probably work? I just figured if I asked the dealer they'd automatically say it wont interchange whether they know for sure or not. If that's the case, I'm going to risk it and buy the Pontiac kit. It costs the least of all I found.

I really don't want some other type of keyless entry because this particular kit says GM on the key fobs. Its a trivial thing but a compelling reason in my mind to search for one.

Thanks for responding.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet
At one time GM used different part numbers in different divisions for the same part. I know this was the case for 68 Firebird vs Camaro. At some point, I think they stopped.

If you want a perfectly serviceable and perhaps still available alternative, Google Valet 712t Remote Keyless Entry Corvette.
ANothe rinteresting thing is that the Valet 712t and the VKE1000 that sold here (one right now in FS section) are essentially the same..

Wiring is almost identical in most respects but I found the 712t to have more functions

I installed a VKE1000 on my 89 in 2002 then a 712t on my 90 in 2008.. I am adding the windows automation module this spring to the 90 as well
Old 01-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Few of GM accessories were plug and play back then. You need section 8 of FSM to locate circuits to tie into. Myself never liked installing that stuff mostly because to do it right was very time consuming. You do need to decide where module is going to be located at the start, and make sure it will fit and not rattle. After any trim removed is re-installed
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM
ray1979
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a viper keyless in my car it was only $35 and came with all the bells and whistles the same wire colors as the vke1000. I made an install chart for an 88 if you need it.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 AM
JayEmEss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ray1979
I put a viper keyless in my car it was only $35 and came with all the bells and whistles the same wire colors as the vke1000. I made an install chart for an 88 if you need it.
Ray - do you still have the install chart? I have an 89 coupe and looking to put keyless remote in it. thanks in advance....
Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 PM
ray1979
Instructor

Yes PM me your email I will send it to you tomorrow

Ray

Originally Posted by JayEmEss
Ray - do you still have the install chart? I have an 89 coupe and looking to put keyless remote in it. thanks in advance....
Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The instructions that come with the VKE1000 are VERY thorough. They tell you what wire color to look for and how to test it to make sure you're connecting into the correct wire.

The recommended location is under the dash on the driver's side. The main reason for that is that you need to tap into the wires that go to the door lock switch to lock and unlock the doors and to disarm the alarm.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 PM
92vetterob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray I just picked up a viper keyless for my 92 could you share your install chart with me as well thank you.

Robert
Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 PM
92vetterob
Instructor

Originally Posted by 92vetterob
Ray I just picked up a viper keyless for my 92 could you share your install chart with me as well thank you.

Robert
I sent you my email
Old 10-26-2014, 10:26 AM
ray1979
Instructor

I will send it later today

Ray
Old 10-26-2014, 12:41 PM
92vetterob
Instructor

Ray
Thank you sir!!
Old 10-26-2014, 01:31 PM
JayEmEss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The instructions that come with the VKE1000 are VERY thorough. They tell you what wire color to look for and how to test it to make sure you're connecting into the correct wire.

The recommended location is under the dash on the driver's side. The main reason for that is that you need to tap into the wires that go to the door lock switch to lock and unlock the doors and to disarm the alarm.
Cliff, by under the dash do you mean under the dash pad and behind the instrument cluster or under the hush pad? I haven't found a way to open the hush pad without damaging the whole thing.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:34 PM
92vetterob
Instructor

Ray
Ray thank you that is the exact viper model I have.

Rob
Old 10-26-2014, 08:02 PM
ray1979
Instructor

Great hopefully it helps you

Originally Posted by 92vetterob
Ray thank you that is the exact viper model I have.

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Any Keyless Entry Gurus in the Forum? - VKE1000

Quick Reply: Any Keyless Entry Gurus in the Forum? - VKE1000