C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

program body computer on 1992 vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 PM
bk2t50s
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default program body computer on 1992 vette

Greetings, I have 1992 vette that has a replacement body computer that when installed shows way more mileage than is actual. I was told if I have a Tech-1 scanner/programmer I can reset it. I have aquired a Tech 1 kit but cannot get it to do the reset. The replacement computer show 185,000 miles on the odometer but the car only has 70,000 miles so a correct mileage is important to me.
Any help is well appreciated.
bk2t50s
Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

You would be best off to consult a GM manual on the exact procedure for your 92. I know for a fact it is in there for my 93. I don't have my manuals here right now. They are in the garage at the moment.

Last edited by 93Rubie; 01-17-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

I think a new CCM can be reset within the first 100 miles. I don’t think you are going to be able to change that one. But I hope someone comes in and proves me wrong.

I have lots of modules for my Tech1A as well as the mass storage. I don’t think I have the software to change mileage. Do you have a special module that can access the mileage?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

You have to take it to the dealer to have it programmed.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
I think a new CCM can be reset within the first 100 miles. I don’t think you are going to be able to change that one. But I hope someone comes in and proves me wrong.
You are "CORRECT"!

There is no Tech1 cartridge that will allow the change of either VIN or mileage in a "USED CCM". The CCM would need to be exchanged through a "rebuilder/repair center" and have all information cleared. The 100 mile restriction is what is generally published as the "limit" before the CCM becomes "non-programmable" again.

The "mass-storage" cartridge you have will read and confirm the VIN and mileage of the CCM that is currently installed in the car.

Originally Posted by bk2t50s
Greetings, I have 1992 vette that has a replacement body computer that when installed shows way more mileage than is actual. I was told if I have a Tech-1 scanner/programmer I can reset it. I have aquired a Tech 1 kit but cannot get it to do the reset. The replacement computer show 185,000 miles on the odometer but the car only has 70,000 miles so a correct mileage is important to me.
Any help is well appreciated.
bk2t50s
The VIN is also "incorrect" when accessed through an appropriate scanner.

You can have yours serviced and repaired OR have the replacement one repaired and then with the "proper" equipment it would be programmable for the assumed "100 mile limit".

There's NO "easy-out" option.

Does the equipment exist to accomplish it "illegitimately"? Certainly!

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
You have to take it to the dealer to have it programmed.
The dealer could only offer to send the CCM for "repair/exchange" BUT the plus would be that the service could be "documented" properly if the OP is actually concerned with the "displayed mileage" and of course the proper VIN information.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-18-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:41 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
You are "CORRECT"!

There is no Tech1 cartridge that will allow the change of either VIN or mileage in a "USED CCM". The CCM would need to be exchanged through a "rebuilder/repair center" and have all information cleared. The 100 mile restriction is what is generally published as the "limit" before the CCM becomes "non-programmable" again.

The "mass-storage" cartridge you have will read and confirm the VIN and mileage of the CCM that is currently installed in the car.

The VIN is also "incorrect" when accessed through an appropriate scanner.

You can have yours serviced and repaired OR have the replacement one repaired and then with the "proper" equipment it would be programmable for the assumed "100 mile limit".

There's NO "easy-out" option.

Does the equipment exist to accomplish it "illegitimately"? Certainly!

The dealer could only offer to send the CCM for "repair/exchange" BUT the plus would be that the service could be "documented" properly if the OP is actually concerned with the "displayed mileage" and of course the proper VIN information.

No way to reset an used CCM as mentioned. I have copied the procedure below for those with a Tech 1 who acquire a rebuilt CCM and want to set mileage and VIN.

CCM Programming Procedure

Connect Tech-1 to ALDL connector just above gas pedal, plug power cord into cigarette lighter outlet, turn ignition key to “ON” position

The backlight should illuminate and display the cartridge version installed:
(mine is Mass Storage Cartridge Version 3.2 ) if yours is different the rest of this may not apply and I have no way to help!

Press the Enter key

The Display will show available selections on different lines, Powertrain, Body, Chassis, Programming etc.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select “Programming” then press the F3 key.

The tool should display GM 90-96 Service, Programming Version 4.02,
Model Year ? will be flashing. Enter just the last digit! (3)

The display should show Select 4th digit of VIN code and give choices
FO : S/T Truck? and the letters AFJLRWY, “A” should be flashing
Use the NO key to move through the choices until you reach “Y” then press YES

The display should now show Corvette Select
FO: Program CCM
F9: Help
Press the FO key

The display will now show three lines of letters and numbers, and ask for the 5th digit of the VIN.
Use the NO and UP/ DOWN arrow keys to select “Y” then press YES

Continue to follow the screen prompts using the NO/ YES and UP/ DOWN arrow keys to navigate the display entering the information requested until finished. If you make a mistake pressing the EXIT key should take you back to a starting point.

Hope that helps, as mentioned the steps may vary if you have a different cartridge, but should be similar.

Get notified of new replies

To program body computer on 1992 vette

Quick Reply: program body computer on 1992 vette