C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

? best way to repair damaged spark plug threads, aluminum head

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 08:38 PM
needanother1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? best way to repair damaged spark plug threads, aluminum head

A previous owner of my Corvette apparently had some trouble getting the #2 plug in straight :rolleyes:
The plug is in and seated right now, but I know the next time or two that I need to pull the plug, I'm going to get most of the remaining threads with it. Since I'm about to do some intake work anyway, I'm thinking about just going ahead and pulling the head to get the plug hole fixed. I want to make sure it's done right. What's the best method? Heli-Coil insert?

Thanks for any info.
Jason
Old 07-12-2002, 09:54 PM
Rich_01659
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ? best way to repair damaged spark plug threads, aluminum head (needanother1)

maybe take it to the machine shop. if you already have the head off for other maintenance ..... how much could it cost?
Old 07-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Bartman
Racer

Default Re: ? best way to repair damaged spark plug threads, aluminum head (Rich_01659)

Probably a heli-coil would be best. would'nt cost very much . Probably much less than an hour work. I am a machinist and am running a CNC lathe as we speak! :D

Get notified of new replies

To ? best way to repair damaged spark plug threads, aluminum head

Quick Reply: ? best way to repair damaged spark plug threads, aluminum head