C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake warning light

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:40 PM
hdrydr1051
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake warning light

Posted earlier that I was having issues with brake warning light on all the time on 1985 vette after I found it disconnected by previous owner. Replaced brake pressure switch (new one) and light was out for a few days then came back on. Checked shuttle in master cylinder behind pressure switch, moved it back and forth, realigned and inserted pressure switch. light stayed off part of the day and then back on. played with shuttle again and as soon as I put pressure on brake peddle light back on. Had Midas check and bleed brakes and still no results. light on and I am stumped. Where is the proportioning valve? Midas said master cylinder working as it should along with brakes.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:27 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Valve

Originally Posted by hdrydr1051
Posted earlier that I was having issues with brake warning light on all the time on 1985 vette after I found it disconnected by previous owner. Replaced brake pressure switch (new one) and light was out for a few days then came back on. Checked shuttle in master cylinder behind pressure switch, moved it back and forth, realigned and inserted pressure switch. light stayed off part of the day and then back on. played with shuttle again and as soon as I put pressure on brake peddle light back on. Had Midas check and bleed brakes and still no results. light on and I am stumped. Where is the proportioning valve? Midas said master cylinder working as it should along with brakes.
I'm assuming it's in the ABS pump, either in the pump or close by. That's behind the drivers seat in an 86 so guessing it's in the same place on yours.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have unequal perssure in your system. is your master cyl full? It takes a fair amount of pressure loss to kick the switch. While the switch is centerend i would gravedly bleed the brakes. Chances of air causinng this is slim but you have to start some where. After you bleed the system real good see what you have.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:31 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I missed the part where you had them bleed. the next step is to pull each wheel and see if you have a caliper leaking. then you need to check each and every line for leakage.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:19 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

No ABS on the 85.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake warning light

Quick Reply: Brake warning light