C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help removing belt tensioner assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 AM
ILowNslowI
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help removing belt tensioner assembly

Pulley was giving me some squeaks so my original intentions were to swap pulley only, in attempting to remove the pulley the tensioner broke the "pulley seat" clean off the tensioner.

Next step was removing the entire tensioner, I have the bolt loose but its hitting the front frame/crossbar & I'm not able to remove it to get the tensioner off????? Any help?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Year of car??
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM
ILowNslowI
Instructor

Ahh sorry, its a 1991
Old 02-17-2014, 10:28 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I can get mine off without any of the instructions below, just by using a open end wrench, a socket wont work, but if you can't get it out using a wrench, here's what you do...

You have to loosen the bolts that hold the whole A/C bracket in place , there are 2 in the head and 2 on the water pump.Also take the bolt out of the support bracket that goes to the exhaust manifold from the a/c unit....Loosen these then tilt the bracket back to remove the tensioner...WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-17-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Assuming Motor Mounts aren't excessively worn or broken, Tensioner and Bolt come out as one piece. There isn't any need to move the compressor aside or remove any other bolts. Loosen bolt until it hits the frame rail. Pull back on the Tensioner until it's against the head of the bolt. Tilt up to remove both. Installation is the reverse. Frustrating, but the Factory plopped the engine in with the Accessory Drivetrain installed.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:37 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCr
Assuming Motor Mounts aren't excessively worn or broken, Tensioner and Bolt come out as one piece. There isn't any need to move the compressor aside or remove any other bolts. Loosen bolt until it hits the frame rail. Pull back on the Tensioner until it's against the head of the bolt. Tilt up to remove both. Installation is the reverse. Frustrating, but the Factory plopped the engine in with the Accessory Drivetrain installed.
SunCr,
..Like mentioned in my post. I do the same thing as you and don't have to remove any other bolts to get mine out, but I have worked on 2 other C4s that placed the bolts so far down that you couldn't get them out without loosening the A/C bracket... I never thought about it being a bad motor mount causing it... I'll have to remember this for next time......WW

Last edited by WW7; 02-17-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:40 PM
ILowNslowI
Instructor

Originally Posted by WW7
I can get mine off without any of the instructions below, just by using a open end wrench, a socket wont work, but if you can't get it out using a wrench, here's what you do...

You have to loosen the bolts that hold the whole A/C bracket in place , there are 2 in the head and 2 on the water pump.Also take the bolt out of the support bracket that goes to the exhaust manifold from the a/c unit....Loosen these then tilt the bracket back to remove the tensioner...WW
This worked, new tensioner, new pulley, no more squeal & got'er back pounding the pavement.

Thanks for the input

Get notified of new replies

To Help removing belt tensioner assembly

Quick Reply: Help removing belt tensioner assembly