C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Knock sensor circuit operation?

Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Knock sensor circuit operation?

Hello, I have a 1985 Corvette and I want to be notified when the computer detects a knock. Since my computer doesn't data log knock counts, I would like to do this with a light bulb hooked up to the knock sensor circuit in a parallel circuit.

Since the knock sensor emits a low voltage reading I assume, I believe it goes to the ESC module and then signaled out to the ECM, I would like to tap off the wire from the ESC to the ECM, if that's how it works. At this point I'm only making assumptions as I haven't seen a wiring diagram for it.

Can anyone provide a diagram or an explanation including wire colors and possibly terminal numbers for the knock sensor circuit?

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I've seen a stand alone knock sensor device that uses it's own knock sensor and lights up a row of led lights. The more knock, the more lights light up.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Here ya go:

My '86 FSM shows the knock sensor to ESC module wire as dark blue, so I don't know what's up there. For your application you don't care.

The pulses out of the ESC module are very short, so a light bulb wouldn't work. You need an LED with a relatively low value resistor. I would go with around 100 ohms. That should give you a flash that's bright enough to see.

Note that the ECM tests the ESC circuit by advancing the timing when you first start the engine, so you will get a couple of knocks at startup. The ECM will set an error code 43 if those knocks are NOT there.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Here ya go:

My '86 FSM shows the knock sensor to ESC module wire as dark blue, so I don't know what's up there. For your application you don't care.

The pulses out of the ESC module are very short, so a light bulb wouldn't work. You need an LED with a relatively low value resistor. I would go with around 100 ohms. That should give you a flash that's bright enough to see.

Note that the ECM tests the ESC circuit by advancing the timing when you first start the engine, so you will get a couple of knocks at startup. The ECM will set an error code 43 if those knocks are NOT there.
Okay, do you think I should add a horn to the circuit also? I have a horn laying around here at the shop somewhere.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You're sure spending a lot of time with the 6870 that would be better spent with the 7165? Also, be careful when using the knock sensor to tune for spark. Larger cams and valve geometry can create harmonics that may be picked up by the sensor that are not detonation.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MrWillys
You're sure spending a lot of time with the 6870 that would be better spent with the 7165? Also, be careful when using the knock sensor to tune for spark. Larger cams and valve geometry can create harmonics that may be picked up by the sensor that are not detonation.
I can't afford to go to the 165 at this time.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:50 PM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
I can't afford to go to the 165 at this time.
Don't think I'm picking on you, it's just there's so much more in the programming you'll have to learn again. You should get the 6E definition and look at the ARAP just to see when you have time.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWillys
Don't think I'm picking on you, it's just there's so much more in the programming you'll have to learn again. You should get the 6E definition and look at the ARAP just to see when you have time.
I provided him a list of parts and the costs. When he decides to pull the trigger I'll be happy to provide the procedure I documented when I did mine. It took me the better part of a day to make the swap. The tuning has a much longer learning curve.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:11 PM
BigBlockhead71
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 85 also has code 43 issues!

I have replaced the knock sensor, the ESC, and the ECM.
The timing is set at only 4 degrees advanced and I run only premium fuel. The system is working because as soon as the check engine light comes on I can feel the timing retard. Please help
Old 06-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlockhead71
I have replaced the knock sensor, the ESC, and the ECM.
The timing is set at only 4 degrees advanced and I run only premium fuel. The system is working because as soon as the check engine light comes on I can feel the timing retard. Please help
You should start your own thread. Otherwise it gets confusing when the answers to YOUR problem get mixed in with the answers to the original poster's problem.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:27 PM
BigBlockhead71
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
You should start your own thread. Otherwise it gets confusing when the answers to YOUR problem get mixed in with the answers to the original poster's problem.
Yea, thank you I am very new at this

Get notified of new replies

To Knock sensor circuit operation?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Knock sensor circuit operation?