C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help on electric door lock acuator

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 PM
seahorsecrazy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on electric door lock acuator

I have a 1995 c4. I have removed the door panel and I feel stupid but I am not sure how to get the actuator off. Picture attached of door panel. The picture is sideways sorry
Attached Images  

Last edited by seahorsecrazy; 03-01-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The easiest way that I have found is that the large aluminum plate has to be pulled away so you cn get the actuator. This is no easy feat...and you will also bring the door latch mechanism with it. SO...you will have to disconnect the rod from the handle to the latch mechanism and then the "E" clip that holds the plate on the backside of the lock cylinder...OR...unclip the plastic clip that hold the rod to the metal plate on the backside of the lock cylinder.

Do not forget to get the T-15 torx screw at the weatherstrip by the latch mechanism..because it also holds the system of parts together.

Make sure you mark the upper bolt for your rear window stop.

Other than un-clipping any wiring harness retainer clips...it is pretty easy and I can get it done quite quickly...but I have done about 100 or so.

DUB
Old 03-02-2014, 02:03 AM
seahorsecrazy
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DUB
The easiest way that I have found is that the large aluminum plate has to be pulled away so you cn get the actuator. This is no easy feat...and you will also bring the door latch mechanism with it. SO...you will have to disconnect the rod from the handle to the latch mechanism and then the "E" clip that holds the plate on the backside of the lock cylinder...OR...unclip the plastic clip that hold the rod to the metal plate on the backside of the lock cylinder.

Do not forget to get the T-15 torx screw at the weatherstrip by the latch mechanism..because it also holds the system of parts together.

Make sure you mark the upper bolt for your rear window stop.

Other than un-clipping any wiring harness retainer clips...it is pretty easy and I can get it done quite quickly...but I have done about 100 or so.

DUB
Replacing the actuator did not solve my problem. Any other ideas would be helpful. The drivers side door lock will not unlock with the key bob. Passenger side still will. The security system is on but the driver side door will not lock when I exit the car like it used to
Old 03-02-2014, 05:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by seahorsecrazy
Replacing the actuator did not solve my problem. Any other ideas would be helpful. The drivers side door lock will not unlock with the key bob. Passenger side still will. The security system is on but the driver side door will not lock when I exit the car like it used to
A FSM for diagnostics is suggested, you've thrown a part at it once and I guess it was a good part. Was it? You should be able to confirm operation of the old "on the bench". Did you check for continuity in the car, do you have a test light?

Factory Service Manual NOT Chilton or any others an original by Helm Publishing. It should be a 2 - book set and you need BOTH!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 AM
seahorsecrazy
8th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
A FSM for diagnostics is suggested, you've thrown a part at it once and I guess it was a good part. Was it? You should be able to confirm operation of the old "on the bench". Did you check for continuity in the car, do you have a test light?

Factory Service Manual NOT Chilton or any others an original by Helm Publishing. It should be a 2 - book set and you need BOTH!
Thanks. I'm probably in over my head. I will try to get FSM set. I'm pretty much a newbie and trying to learn
Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

I am going to look into this due to having a manual at work and I am at home now. I do know that if your car has the Pass-key entry when all you have to do is walk up to the car...and the doors unlock...the fob can be programmed to unlock the left door OR both doors or not unlock any door. But I do not think that it can unlock the right door only. Like I mentioned..I will look into it.

Does the power door lock switch on the door panel lock both doors when you go and lock them??? Need to know.

DUB
Old 03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Drew95
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprise surprise....it's almost like we were JUST talking about wonders of the C4 door design in another thread....

Last edited by Drew95; 03-03-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:02 PM
seahorsecrazy
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DUB
I am going to look into this due to having a manual at work and I am at home now. I do know that if your car has the Pass-key entry when all you have to do is walk up to the car...and the doors unlock...the fob can be programmed to unlock the left door OR both doors or not unlock any door. But I do not think that it can unlock the right door only. Like I mentioned..I will look into it.

Does the power door lock switch on the door panel lock both doors when you go and lock them??? Need to know.

DUB
Yes the car has the pass-key entry and I really liked it. The first thing I did was to buy a new fob and program it to my car. I needed one anyway as mine was coming apart. This did not solve the problem . When I push the power door lock switch on the door panel it will lock both doors but when I use the fob it won't open the drivers's side door.
I first noticed when the pass-key entry stopped working. I'm guessing its going to be circuit now???? Someone else suggested the motor but I haven't looked into that. I'm silly about certain things and I swear if I can't get this working I will sell this one and buy another.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

OK...Stupid question.

Did the old fob work BEFORE you replaced it???

Did the old fob allow you to walk up to the car and the door(s) unlock??? and then walk away and the door(s) lock and the horn"toots"????

So you "say" you can use the power door lock switch on the door panels to LOCK and also UNLOCK both doors...correct???? Both will lock and then unlock...correct???

A pass-key should allow you to walk away and the door(s) will lock on their own if you programmed it to do so..and the horn will "toot"...and then when you walk within range of the antennas....the doors will unlock (if you programmed it to do BOTH doors).

Are you using the fob without having to press any buttons???? I know the hatch release has to be pressed...but the door should unlock when you get within range...but that is if you programmed that mode in the fob.

DUB
Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 AM
seahorsecrazy
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DUB
OK...Stupid question.

Did the old fob work BEFORE you replaced it???

Did the old fob allow you to walk up to the car and the door(s) unlock??? and then walk away and the door(s) lock and the horn"toots"????

So you "say" you can use the power door lock switch on the door panels to LOCK and also UNLOCK both doors...correct???? Both will lock and then unlock...correct???

A pass-key should allow you to walk away and the door(s) will lock on their own if you programmed it to do so..and the horn will "toot"...and then when you walk within range of the antennas....the doors will unlock (if you programmed it to do BOTH doors).

Are you using the fob without having to press any buttons???? I know the hatch release has to be pressed...but the door should unlock when you get within range...but that is if you programmed that mode in the fob.

DUB
Originally the key fob worked and I could walk away and it would lock and unlock the doors. It just stopped working one day. If I push the button on the key fob the drivers door won't click but the passenger door will click. Clear as mud....
Old 03-05-2014, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally the key fob worked and I could walk away and it would lock and unlock the doors. It just stopped working one day. If I push the button on the key fob the drivers door won't click but the passenger door will click. Clear as mud....
Thanks ...I will get back with info...something is wrong..OBVIOUSLY.

DUB
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

I looked in the FSM...and the fob should lock the doors when you walk away....and it should unlock the drivers door when you approach the car and get within range. If you have it set-up in the mode...it will also unlock the right door when you approach the car.

If it locks both doors and only will unlock the right door...something is wrong..obviously.

You wrote that by pressing the button..the right door will unlock but the drivers door does not. BUT...you said that if you use the power door lock switch and it will lock and unlock both doors.

You have circuit issue in my beliefs due to looking at the wiring schematic of the system...it is the only thing possible.

DUB
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 PM
seahorsecrazy
8th Gear

I ordered and received my FSM. In reading in there on the PKE system it mentioned that when you are setting the remote, the radio should be off. I had been leaving it on and only the passenger door was working. When I turned the radio off and set the remote---SURPRISE it worked. I feel totally stupid. Now that I have the FSM I will study more before I start assuming parts are bad. I wouldn't have bought it if someone had not recommended it. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

I ordered and received my FSM. In reading in there on the PKE system it mentioned that when you are setting the remote, the radio should be off. I had been leaving it on and only the passenger door was working. When I turned the radio off and set the remote---SURPRISE it worked. I feel totally stupid. Now that I have the FSM I will study more before I start assuming parts are bad. I wouldn't have bought it if someone had not recommended it. Thanks for all the help.
AWESOME...It is amazing on how something so minor can make a BIG difference.

It was money well spent on getting the FSM. They are priceless to me.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Help on electric door lock acuator

Quick Reply: Help on electric door lock acuator