C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering column - Break Lights Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:40 PM
S S0DEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering column - Break Lights Issue

Before I disassemble the steering column (again), would anyone here know how to fix this issue or where I should look inside the column?

Issue:

When you depress the brake pedal, both break lights work just fine, but if you touch the steering wheel at all. either slightly turning it or shaking it, the drivers side break light will go out.

Issue #2: The steering wheel (Z51 Package 1988), has a little play as in if you shake the wheel in moves a little but, is this normal?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

My guess is that it's related to the 4-way flasher switch.

Issue #2: probably normal. "moves a little" is pretty hard to interpret ;-)
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

The electrical path for the brake lights goes thru the turn signal switch. That's how the brake lights work when you step on the brakes, and the same light bulbs work as turn signals when you use the turn signal lever. Is your 4 way flasher switch on the opposite side of your steering column from the turn signal lever in your '88? If so, Cliff would be right. I'll admit I don't know the '88 configuration for the 4 way flasher.

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 03-04-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:17 PM
S S0DEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, the tilt column has a decent amount of play in it is what I meant in issue #2. More so then any other vehicle I have owned with tilt steering, thought it could be related to the telescopic feature.

Issue #1 was indeed the blinker switch, I replaced the whole assemble and it cost about $40 at Advanced Auto. Was a pain in the butt to snake the old wires out and new ones in through the column though.

The 4 way switch must be part of the blinker switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column - Break Lights Issue

Quick Reply: Steering column - Break Lights Issue