C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel pressure help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:40 PM
pastamike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure help..

my 96 has been falling on its AZ when hitting wot, then will catch and take off. checked the fuel pressure reg, and smelled gas from vac line.
picked up a ac delco and going to put it in. but first hooked fuel pressure gage to fuel rail, at idle pressure is between 32-36, when i rev the motor drops to 33 psi. took it for a run to recreate the problem and when hitting the gas hard psi drops to about 10 psi.

so should i change the fuel filter also and check again or im going in the wrong direction in testing..

pastamike..
Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Either pump is not keeping up with the demand when it drops to 10 or another issue like......plugged fuel filter as a bottle neck. Any idea how long ago the filter was changed?

Since you have the regulator on order. Put that on and test again.

What happens to the pressure when you turn on the key but don't start? Is the pressure holding at 36-40?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:36 PM
pastamike
Instructor

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Either pump is not keeping up with the demand when it drops to 10 or another issue like......plugged fuel filter as a bottle neck. Any idea how long ago the filter was changed?

Since you have the regulator on order. Put that on and test again.

What happens to the pressure when you turn on the key but don't start? Is the pressure holding at 36-40?
i think filter is oem car only had 36,000 now i have about 48,000 on it but drive it everyday.

and with key on psi is at 33-35 psi that seems low to me not sure thou..
Old 03-07-2014, 03:57 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I think the pressure should be up around 43 with the key on that vacuum line to the FPR disconnected and plugged.

Assuming that your pressure is holding at the 33-36 PSI with the key on.

I would consider changing the fuel filter. They are cheap and it eliminates one possibility.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:41 PM
pastamike
Instructor

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
I think the pressure should be up around 43 with the key on that vacuum line to the FPR disconnected and plugged.

Assuming that your pressure is holding at the 33-36 PSI with the key on.

I would consider changing the fuel filter. They are cheap and it eliminates one possibility.
yeah bought the filter, and pressure reg also and will install them sunday and see if it works.

thanks..
Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Audie Barber
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pastamike
yeah bought the filter, and pressure reg also and will install them sunday and see if it works.

thanks..
92 doing same but my filter was changed along with everything else. fuel pressure w/key on is 42 psi started is 36-42 and driving down the road it jumps from 36-46.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel pressure help..

Quick Reply: fuel pressure help..